Search for content in message boards

Williams in Madison and Pulaski Co, KY

Williams in Madison and Pulaski Co, KY

Posted: 15 Feb 2002 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2004 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Williams
In 1788, Shadrach, Philip, Henry and James Williams are listed in the Madison Co, KY tax books. In 1789, Frederick Williams also is listed. These men pay taxes through 1795 with Frederick and Shadrach paying taxes usually on the same day and listed on adjacent lines in the tax rolls. Philip, Henry, James and later Thomas Williams are also shown paying taxes on the same day and always listed on adjacent lines in the tax roll. In 1795, a second Shadrach Williams appears on the tax rolls with land on Calloway's Creek and he is listed through 1808 when I quit looking at Madison Co. Shadrach #2 is enumerated in the 1810 Madison Co Census.
Shadrach #1, Frederick, Philip, Henry, James and Thomas are not found on any tax rolls from 1796 until 1800 when Shadrach #1, Frederick, Philip and Thomas appear on the Pulaski Co, KY lists. Frederick and Shadrach are always listed on the same day and on adjacent lines in the Pulaski Co tax books with Shadrach listed as exempt from taxation due to age and infirmity until 1807 and Shadrach is not listed in 1808 or following years, which has led me to assume that Shadrach died ca 1807. Frederick is listed until 1824 when he leaves Pulaski Co for McMinn Co, TN. Thomas and Philip are always listed in the tax rolls on the same day and on adjacent lines and in 1820, Phililp is listed as exempt because of age and infirmity. In 1821, Thomas is listed as the executor of Philip Williams, decd.
I've assumed that Shadrach Williams #1 is the father of Frederick Williams (who has a son named Shadrach) and that Thomas was the son of Philip Williams.
Does anyone know if:
A. Shadrach #1 was the father of Frederick?
B. Shadrach #1 was the father of Shadrach #2?
C. Shadrach #1 and Philip were brothers or are otherwise related?
Vernon Williams in Fulton Co, AR

Williams' Marriages in Pulaski Co, KY

Posted: 22 May 2009 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Miller, Banks, Whitaker, Whiteaker, White Prather, Warren, Dunn, Lewis, Vanhook, Hill, Pace
Any information for these folks would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. Jim

15 Jan. 1808: Norris Williams married Betsy Miller
Adam Banks presided over wedding

14 Dec. 1808 Norris Williams married Betsy Miller

John Miller surety?

1 May 1812: Charity Whiteaker married Norris Williams
Wesley White presided over marriage.

18 Apr. 1821 Polly Williams married William White
Frederick Williams bride’s father.
Surety: Gideon Prather

22 Jan 1814 Eliz. Williams married Gideon Prather
Surety: Frederick Williams

13 Aug. 1821 Abram Williams married Ellender Warren
Surety: James Dunn

10 Oct. 1807 williams, Alexander married Eunice Lewis
Adam Banks presided over wedding

5 Jan 1818 Balis Williams married Margaret Vanhook

19 Aug. 1803: Robert Williams married Polly Pace
Rev. Thomas Hill presided over wedding.

Re: Williams' Marriages in Pulaski Co, KY

Posted: 24 May 2009 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, White, Prather, Short
Polly and Elizabeth were children of Frederick and Cassandra Tate Williams.
However, my records show Mary Ann "Polly" Williams married to a Samuel Short on 01 Apr 1813 and shows her sister Sarah Elizabeth "Sally" Williams married to William White on 18 Apr 1821.
Mary Ann "Polly" Williams b 22 Jan 1794 probably in Madison County, Kentucky, d after 1850 in Polk County, Tennessee.
Sarah Elizabeth Williams b ca 1800 in Pulaski County, Kentucky d after 1850 in Bradley County, Tennessee.
Elizabeth Williams b ca 1790 in Kentucky married Gideon Prather 22 Jan 1814 in Pulaski County, Kentucky d ca 1859 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.
You may make contact directly at willy1850@centurytel.net if you wish.

Re: Williams in Madison and Pulaski Co, KY

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 5:56PM GMT
You've hit the nail on the head: Shadrack WIlliams was surely the impetus for the Williams, Stogsdill and Herrin migration from Rowan (now Davie) CO., NC. Shadrack I came first and circuit court records in Pulaski CO. agree with your assumed death date. Shadrack was surely the father of Frederick Andrew Williams who also had a son, Shadrack Williams. What's more, he was the father of my ancestor, Sarah Williams who married Morris Stogsill back in 1768. So although we have a land record from 1778 selling his land, "Peach Brandy Forest" in Baltimore CO., MD he came much earlier to Rowan Co.

Morris Stogsdill had died back in Rowan CO., but his wife cme to Madison CO., KY.

CENSUS: Rowan County, NC 1790 Census Sarah Stogsdill Head of Household) On 1792 Bear Creek Baptist Church Membership Roll.

(TAX LIST: Sarah Stogsill listed as taxpayer in 1791-1794 Madison Co., KY)

Sarah was at Bear Creek Baptist Church with her daughter Rebecca Herrin, wife of Shadrack Herrin (my namesake). Wile Sarah was in Madison Co., Shadrack and the Stockstill brothers (also Rebecca's brothers) were in nearby Clark Co., the part that ebcme Montgomery CO. in 1797.

I am trying to find Shadrack William's parents. I started in Baltimore Co. since he cme from there.

James E. Stogsdill has that Sarah Williams Stogsdill was born in Huntington , Suffolk, NY in 1749. I have no resource for that.

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 11:40PM GMT
Thank you so much for your post. I was beginning to think Shadrach Williams had only one child! He has been a major brick wall in my Williams research even after having a DNA test done. I've had only one DNA match and have sent two emails to the person but to date have had no reply.
I'd be happy to share what information I have with you. My email address is willy1850@centurytel.net
Vernon Williams in Fulton County, Arkansas

Posted: 21 May 2011 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Stogsdill, Williams
Hello:
I'm also a descendant of Morris Stogsdill and Sarah Williams and just read your Jan 16, 2010 post.
Curious if you have had any luck in identifying Shadrack Williams' parents? I know very little about him or his ancestry.
Thanks!

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 11:12PM GMT
Shadrach Williams sold "Peach Brandy Forest" in Baltimore County, Maryland while living in Rowan County, North Carolina. "Peach Brandy Forest" was purchased by "...Shadrach Williams son of Benjamin of Baltimore County..." on 27 November 1764 from John Hawkins of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Recorded in Baltimore County Deed Book B O pp 93,94 & 95. Maryland land records are available for viewing on line if you'd like to see the actual image.

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 12:24AM GMT
I had finally came up with that. I also have found that Benjamin probably is the son of Benjamin Williams and Margaret Sellman of Anne Arundel Co., MD.

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 12:26AM GMT
Williams, Benjamin, planter,A. A. Co.,30th March, 1730; 16th Nov., 1732. To son Benjamin, 5s. To son Joseph and hrs., 200 A. of “Williams Range,” Prince George's Co., where he now lives; £5. To dau. Mary, wife of John Cheny, £5. To dau. Margaret, £50 at age of 16 or day of marriage. To wife Margaret, extx., and hrs., dwell. plan. “Foldland,” pt. of “Williams Range”; and residue of estate, real and personal. Test: Richard Poole, Walter Phelps (Philps), Sr., Elizabeth Clerk (Clarke). 20, 487.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic