Search for content in message boards

Old Somerset Indiana

Old Somerset Indiana

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2006 1:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm interesting in anything about Old Somerset Indiana before and after the dam was built.

Re: Old Somerset Indiana

Judy Schramm (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2006 11:58PM GMT
I grew up in old Somerset, and my mother still lives in new Somerset. What is it you want to know?

Susan Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2006 12:55AM GMT
I just learned about Old Somerset and seen it for the 1st time a few months ago. And I lived in Miami county for 40 years. For some reason it just amazes me. How many people lived there? What type of businesses were there? Do you have any pictures of Old Somerset?

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 1:20AM GMT
When I was growing up in old Somerset (1942-1964), there were probably about two hundred people or so there. We had a school (grades 1-12), a post office, two churches, a couple grocery stores (most of the time), a hardware store, and a couple filling stations/garages. For a while we also had a restaurant, and sometimes the groceries had soda fountains that were kind of snack bars. Of course, in the late 1800s, the town was bigger, with more businesses and even some small industries. I don't have any original photos that really show the town, although there are some in publications I have (school yearbooks, church "memory" books that came out around the time the dam was built, etc.). I mostly just have my memories. There were two main streets, lined with huge trees that made a sort of tunnel across the street in places. Everyone knew just about everyone else. It was a good, safe place to grow up. I was in college when the dam was built, and it never occurred to me to take pictures of it all, that someday I would want them. It's like those old antiques that we remember from when we were kids that we never thought to save.

Susan Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2006 7:26PM GMT
Have you ever went back to find your house foundation? My reason for going there to begin with is to take my metal detector there so see what I could find. But once I got there and saw all those house foundations I was so amazed that all I have really accomplish was walk around in amazement. If you have no idea what your walking into you think you found a land before time. But I guess it is. Before my time.

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 9:27PM GMT
Yes, I have found our house foundation, well, cistern, garage, etc. - as well as the hardware store where my dad worked and the other downtown buildings and school. Funny, how much smaller it all seemed than when I lived there.

Susan Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2006 10:55PM GMT
I appreciate you sharing this with me. I can't wait till they drop the water this winter so I can go back. Maybe by then I will have a clue on what was where. Plus maybe I'll turn my metal detector on and find something you had lost years ago. But I already found a lost town I never knew about. What more can I ask for? I understand how you feel that it seemed much bigger when you were a child. I grew up in Denver,Indiana and it was huge when I was a kid. Now I drive through there and it seems like it just shrunk.

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 12:47AM GMT
You might be interested in looking at the old map of Somerset that is in the "Illustrated Historic Atlas of Wabash County, Indiana, 1875", page 58. I am pretty sure they have a copy of this book at the Carnegie Library in Wabash, but it might be available at the libraries in Marion or Peru, too. My old house is the one at the NW corner of Walnut and Water Streets on the map, just as you come into town, the way you have to enter now. The business district was on Water Street between Jefferson and Madison. You can see the bridge at Madison. The school I attended was on Main Street between Jefferson and Madison. If you make a photocopy of the map, you will be able to get your bearings better the next time you walk around the town. My grandfather and great-grandfather had a farm just across the bridge and to the west; my dad farmed it after his dad died until the dam was built, although we never lived there. Happy hunting!

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 6:45AM GMT
I found these postings from 2006 after I did a GOOGLE search on "Old Somerset", and I found them fascinating. I lived in Old Somerset back in the early 1960's. I was only 5-years-old when the town was flooded to create the reservoir. My father owned the local barber shop, and we lived acrossed the street from King's Grocery Store. I went to kindergarten in the Old Somerset school before we were moved to Southwood Elementary. Our home was physically moved up to New Somerset. The house had a side office that was formerly the office of the local doctor. When the house was moved to New Somerset, the office was detached from the house and from it my father's barber shop was created out on Highway 13 in New Somerset.

I have so many fond memories of Old Somerset, even though I was very young. I remember when the hardware store caught fire on the main street, and remember going down to the old bridge and throwing rocks down into the river. I loved the King's Grocery store because it had penny candy, and I would buy enough licorice and "grasshopper" candy sticks to last a week, with only a nickle.

I'd really enjoy conversing with others who remember, or know more, about Old Somerset.

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 1:07PM GMT
Hi. I actually know nothing about Old Somerset except where it is. I go there every year about this time because the water is down low enough to see it and it just amazes me for some reason. I started out taking my metal detecter but that was a lost cause with all the millions of nails there. So I walk around in awe. I did come across an old dump site or something and dig in there. I like fiinding old bottles. I have found alot of strange things there. Even some false teeth. I'm still looking for a picture of it when it was there or trying to get an idea as to what was there and where. It sounds bigger than what it looks. Thanks for answering me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic