Search for content in message boards

DAVIS FAMILY OF KELLYVILLE, MARION CO. TX

DAVIS FAMILY OF KELLYVILLE, MARION CO. TX

Posted: 1050507400000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1059087067000
Surnames: DAVIS
I have a tree developed for the family of Andrew Jackson Davis, who settled in Kellyville at the end of the Civil War. Am willing to trade information and generally converse with Davis kin from that line.

Names in family groups:

A.J. Davis, wife Delilah. Sons William Riley, George W., James Wesley, Robert, and Jesse Monroe. Daughters Emma, Alice and Lula.

William Riley, wife Rachel Delilah Beal. Sons James Wesley, Andrew William, and Hiram Agusta. Daughter Carrie Mae.

George W., wife Minnie B. ____. Sons William C., Kennard Neuland, Eugene M. Daughters Annie, Ludie, and Ida Mable.

Andrew William, wife Pearl Blackburn (or Blackborn). No information on children.

Robert - no information.

Jesse Monroe, wife Naoma C. McElroy. Son Henry Louis is only child known.

Emma, husband John H. Williams. No information on children.

Alice - no information.

Lula, husbands William E. Poteet and Charles Lenard Campbell. Sons Haywood, Fredrick L. and L.H. Poteet. Daughter Mary Emma Poteet.

Lots of blanks. Need help.

Thanks,
Steve Stone
Grand Bay AL

Re: DAVIS FAMILY OF KELLYVILLE, MARION CO. TX

Posted: 1420427789000
Surnames: Poteet
Mr. Stone,

My great-grandfather was William Poteet from Kellysville, TX. I am interested in knowing more about his life, death, and relation to Andrew Jackson Davis.

Posted: 1420443895000
Courtesy lookup, I'm not related or acquainted. Recommend you research this family. Lula was twin to Eula (but missing from the initial posting). Andrew Jackson Davis was their father thus father-in-law to William Poteet. Per 1910 Marion-Precinct 2-District 102-Image 3, widowed Lula had given birth to three with two (Haywood and Mary Emma) still living. Find-a-grave memorial: Frederick L. Poteet (13 Aug 1903 - 8 Apr 1910) was the third child. L. H. mentioned in the initial posting may have been surname Campbell, thus Charles Campbell's son by his first wife. Mary Emma Poteet (20 Nov 1906 - 10 Nov 1913). Eula Neeley (6 Apr 1881 - 8 Jul 1961) was Lula's twin. She wed James Wythe, 21 Oct 1900, first. Based on census data in 1910, William Poteet was a native of North Carolina. He wed Lula, 28 Feb 1901, and died 18 Jun 1907. Texas mandated vital records effective 1903 and there is no officially documented record of his death.

Posted: 1421015580000
Thank you so much for the information. I failed to mention that Lula Davis Poteet Campbell was my great grandmother. We didn't know she had a twin. Lula married Charles Campbell after William Poteet died. LH Campbell was one of their children. Evidently, my grandfather, A.H. Poteet was Williams's and Lula's only child to survive. I visited my great grandfather's and great grandmother's graves recently in Kellyville, Tx, as well as Frederick's and Mary Emma's, their children. It is very interesting to know they were only married a short time. Would you please tell me where you found this information, so I may research further?

Posted: 1421028529000
I'll do my best! But, I logon daily for extended hours researching in every Texas County. As a result, I've accumulated much data on a variety of surnames since 5 Jan 2015. Primarily, I use: ancestry.com, familysearch.org, and find a grave daily. Sporadically I also rely of Fold3 and genealogybank which, along with ancestry.com, are paid subscriptions. The earlier cited 1910 census of Marion County was from ancestry.com. Ancestry owns familysearch.org and sometimes the same info is viewable on both sites. From ancestry.com: 1900 Marion-Precinct 2-District 89-Image 4 has A. J. Davis age 63 as head of household. Also in the home were kids: Robert age 24, Jessie age 20, and twins Eula and Lula. You'll find Eula's death certificate online https://familysearch.org/ If this site is "new" to you, logon and create a "free" account to access/print vital documents. Lula's death certificate witnessed by Mrs. A. T. Bogue. Are you acquainted? I've assisted the author of the original thread previously. Andrew William Davis was son of William Riley, thus is misplaced. Andrew J. Davis (4 Feb 1837 - 18 Jun 1918) and Delilah (1845 - 18 May 1898) were the parents. Guess I'll have to go in search of their pre-1900 history?

Posted: 1421035374000
This information is very helpful! I will follow through with your suggestions. Thank you!

Yes, Mrs. A. T. Bogue was Lula's daughter.

Posted: 1421037088000
Eula Davis wed James W. Wythe 21 Oct 1900. They only had one surviving child, Ira Andrew Wythe (23 Feb 1904 - 14 Dec 1975) who died in Longview, Gregg County. OBTW, I was born in Daingerfield, Morris County so this is familiar territory. I grew up "sopping" T. J. Blackburn Syrup.(lol) On that 1910 Census I cited earlier, the Wythe family were neighbors of Andrew Davis and Lula. Then, 1920 Marion-Precinct 2-District 126-Image 28 they're on the same image with Eula's brother, George W. Davis. Guessing James Wythe died prior to 1930 'cause Eula was in the home of her son, 1930 Dallas-Dallas-District 29-Image 34. Ira's daughter, Jodie Mae, wed Philip Wiley Platt and they had Philip Wiley, Jr. and Tracey Ann. There are birth records for Philip Wiley III and IV in case you desire to reach out and touch kinfolks.

Posted: 1421038721000
There are several trees documenting this family but I'm reluctant to recommend any! That based on the fact none have included Eula and most list James Wesley Davis, incorrectly, as son of Andrew J. He was the son of William R., thus grandson of Andrew J. Instead of a tree recommendation, I'll share this: William R. Davis (8 Oct 1862 - 22 Jun 1931), George W. Davis (7 Jan 1868 - 17 Sep 1948), Mary Emma Williams (12 Jul 1872 - 8 Jul 1951), Alice Virginia Bratton (22 Mar 1874 - 28 Jun 1956), Jesse Davis (16 Nov 1878 - 13 May 1950).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic