Search for content in message boards

long lost Long (James)

long lost Long (James)

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 10:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find any info on a James (Jim) David Long. He married Katherine (Katie) Couch in 1881 in Lamar Co. Tx. They had a son William (Willie) Thomas Long who was b. 1882 in Lamar Co Tx. We can not find him on any census. Katherine Isabella Couch later married David Samuel Grimes in 1889, so he may have died in between 1886 and 1889. We can find nothing on him except a marriage, and he is listed as being born in Red River Co. Tx on one of his 3 son,s death certificate. We can not find a death certificate for him. He is a major brick wall. If anyone can help, we would be greatful. Thanks in advance. Vidia

Re: long lost Long (James)

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 3:31PM GMT

Would this be your James Long ?

Name: Jas. Long
Home in 1880: Precinct 3, Lamar, Texas
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Birthplace: Texas
Relation to Head of Household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)
Father's birthplace: Tennessee
Mother's birthplace: Tennessee
Marital Status: Single
Race: White

Name: M. F. Long - Marion Francis ?
Home in 1880: Precinct 3, Lamar, Texas
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Relation to Head of Household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)
Mother's birthplace: Tennessee

Name: Catharine T. Couch
Home in 1880: Precinct 6, Lamar, Texas
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation to Head of Household: Daughter
Father's Name: James T.
Mother's birthplace: Missouri

1870; Census Place: White Oak, Franklin, Arkansas; Roll: M593_53; Page: 102; Image: 209.
John Long 30 1840 TN
Sarah COUCH Long 29 1841 TN
Francis Long 9 1861 TX male
James Long 7 1863 TX
Sarah Long 6 1864 TX
William Long 4 1866 TX
Mary Long 2 1868 AR
George Long 2/12 1870 AR * see below death certificate

1880; Census Place: Precinct 5, Lamar, Texas; Roll: T9_1314; Family History Film: 1255314; Page: 177.4000; Enumeration District: 79;
Johnathan Long 40 1840 TN TN TN married 3rd time or 4th to Mary Josephine Carroll 16 Oct 1892, Johnathan Long married Augustine Prince in 1889. Mary Josephine Carroll born AL Aug 1861 bore 2 children, Clinton N Long born Oct 1884 TX in JP 6 Lamar Co 1900. Johnathan Long born Oct 1835 TN resided Cathrons Store Village in Lamar Co in 1900
Nancy H. Long 23 1857 TX father MS 2nd wife
Francis M. Long 19 1861 TX son also listed with Crouch family
Sarah B. Long 15 1865 TX - Sarah Belle Long married J Allen Ball 1884
William Long 13 1867 TX
Mary L. Long 11 1869 TN ? AR ?
George R. Long 9 1871 AR married Samtha E Kilpatrick in 1896
Johnathan M. Long 8 1872 AR married Lizzie/Isebell Blanton in 1892, son Jesse J Long 29 June 1893 - 16 May 1956 buried Knights of Honor Cemetery married Johnnie Garner.
July/Julia M. Long 6 1874 AR dtr married John L Riggan 1893
Dorah/Dora P. Long 5 1875 AR married U J Sullivan 1892 died 1940 buried Knights of Honor Cemetery, parents unknown
Sarvina E. Long 4 1876 TX dtr
John Z. Long 2M 1880 TX
Henry Long June 1883 married Lizzie Grimes in 1908
Alice Long June 1885 married F L Gober in 1905

http://theusgenweb.org/tx/lamar/cemetery/
Long Johnathan 1834 - 22 Feb 1905 Not Stated UNMARKED Lamar County Death Records Bk.#1, p.88, #884, white male, age 71 years, died in Razor, of lagrippe, reported by E. C. Porter, Chicota. Birth year is estimated. *Johnathan Long received a Texas Confederate Pension #05217. He applied 18 Aug 1899 and was approved on 27 Jan 1900. He stated his age as 62 (1837), living in Direct as a farmer for 8 months, and served in Co. C, 16th Texas Cavalry for 4 years.

Name: John Long
Side: Confederate
Regiment State/Origin: Texas
Regiment Name: 16 Texas Cavalry
Regiment Name Expanded: 16th Regiment, Texas Cavalry (Fitzhugh's)
COMPANY: C
Rank In: Private
Rank In Expanded: Private
Rank Out: Corporal
Rank Out Expanded: Corporal
Alternate Name: Jonathan/Long
Film Number: M227 roll 22
National Park Service. U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, online http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/, acquired 2007

Long Nancy H. 20 Apr 1850 15 Jul 1881 Forest Chapel 15065 Buried next to John L. Long. Forest Chapel Cemetery located near Razor in Lamar county.

David Long born / died 22 July 1900 buried Forest Chapel, son of M J and F L Long

Geo. R. Long, married, # 23726
6 June 1867 Texas
20 May 1941, at residence 261 Cedar St, Paris, Lamar
Jonithen Long of TN father
Sarah Couch of TN mother
Clyde W Meeks, 221 E Polk Street, Paris informant
buried Blossom, Texas

www.tshaonline.org/handbook
FOREST CHAPEL, TEXAS. Forest Chapel is a church community at the intersection of Farm roads 197 and 1500, just north of Pat Mayse State Park and two miles southwest of Chicota in extreme northern Lamar County. The area was settled by 1896, when the Forest Chapel school reported fifty-six students and two teachers. Though the settlement was not named on the 1936 county highway map, it was shown with two churches, two cemeteries, a cotton gin, and a cluster of dwellings at the crossroads. By that time the Forest Chapel school had closed, and local children attended the nearby Forest Grove school. Throughout the 1940s the Forest Chapel community reported one business and twenty-five residents. By 1957 the Forest Grove school had been consolidated into the Chicota Independent School District, which had become part of the North Lamar system by 1970. In 1980 the community had the Forest Chapel Church and cemetery as well as a few scattered dwellings. County highway maps identified one business at the site in 1984.
Vista K. McCroskey

Sullivan Dora P. Long 1871 2 Mar 1940 Knights of Honor NORTHWEST Buried next to Matilda Kinslow. Married Ulysses J. Sullivan. See his record for more information. *[From an undated paper] 'Funeral service was held Sunday for Mrs. U. J. Sullivan, 69, at her home, 221 East Polk Street, by the Rev, J. B. Watson, Jr., pastor of Ramseur Memorial Baptist Church, burial being made at the Knights of Honor Cemetery at Blossom by Brown-Roden Funeral Home. Pallbearers were Wilburn Middleton, Melton Dooley, dewey Luster, Charlie Norrell, Charles Clark and Sidney Vickers. Mrs. Sullivan was born in Coalhill, Ark., in 1871, and came to Texas when two years old with her father, John Long. She married Mr. Sullivan, September 11, 1892. She had been a member of First Baptist Church here since her girlhood.'

U Jerry Sullivan 08 Mar 1865 Jackson MS - 16 Dec 1951 Paris, Lamar buried K. of H. Cemetery in Blossom.

Mary Josephine Carroll possibly was a Simmons who married Robert Carroll 1885 in Lamar County

J. M. Long born 12 Sep 1843 TN died 29 July 1924 Paris Henry Long father of TN, buried Evergreen Cemetery

THE PARIS SEMI-WEEKLY NEWS, Friday, August 1, 1924: 'James M. Long, an old resident of Paris, died suddenly at his home on Graham street at 2:45 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. He had been confined to his home the last five weeks, but was not thought to be seriously ill. He sat up Tuesday morning. He was weakened by his long illness and had a sudden collapse of the heart while he was in the bathroom. He had never been sick before, having enjoyed remarkable health all of his life. The death of a number of his old acquaintances during the past year is said to have made a deep impression on him and to have affected his spirits, making him feel depressed. Mr. Long was in the 81st year of his age, he having been born in Obion county, Tenn., in 1843. He came to Paris in 1850 with his father, Henry Long, and at the time of his death there were few persons who had lived here longer than he had. At the beginning of the Civil War he enlisted in the 9th Texas Infantry and was in the hardest of the fighting until he lost a leg at the battle of Shiloh in 1862, which put him out of service. Returning home he attended the McKenzie College in Red River county, the most noted school in this section of the State at that time. Hon. H. D. McDonald and brother, W. J. McDonald and other well known citizens attended this school. After leaving McKenzie College, Mr. Long taught school here a short while and went to Sherman and taught about a year, after which he returned to Paris and abandoned teaching and devoted his attention altogether to the practice of law. In reconstruction days he was elected district clerk, but was not permitted under the reconstruction act to assume the duties of the office. He was justice of the peace for a while. In 1888 he was elected county attorney and served two years. A few years later he was again elected to the office and served one term. In 1868 he married Mary E. Caldwell, who was living in Honey Grove at the time of their marriage. She died in 1897. He was not only one of the oldest citizens of Paris in point of residence when he died but was the oldest member of the Paris bar, although he had not been engaged in active practice the last few years. He is survived by a son, R. J. Long, of Paris and by a daughter, Mrs. Harry Sandham of Los Angeles, Ca. He is also survived by a brother, S. J. Long of Paris. The funeral service will be held at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon at his late residence on Graham street, and Albert Sidney Johnston Camp of which he was a member will have charge of the services at the grave. Interment will be at Evergreen cemetery.' *James M. Long is listed in a draft copy of GENERAL SAMUEL BELL MAXEY, C.S.A. A MILITARY BIOGRAPHY, by Louise Horton, Granger, TX, 1984, p. 189. *Information from Tim Bell, 1805 Real Dr., Waco, TX, 76712: James M. Long, this soldier's name was found in the Compiled Service Records of Co. A, 9th Texas Infantry on microfilm at the National Archives, and is listed in his compilation of the 9th TX Infantry on file at the Confederate Research Center in Hillsboro, TX. *Service Record as abstracted by Tim Bell states: Long, James M. (18)- detached to the Commissary Dept., 11/26/61; wounded, Shiloh, leg & foot amputated; discharged, 5/22/62, Corinth, MS. 5'7', gray eyes, fair complexion, sandy hair. *James M. Long received a Texas Confederate Pension #13408 in Lamar County for his service in the Confederate Army. An abstract of the pension shows: applied 14 Feb 1908, approved 2? Mar 1908. He was 64 years of age at time of application and lived in Lamar Co., TX for 57 years. He was currently living at 420 N. Main St. He served in Co. A, 9th Texas Infantry from Aug 1861 to 6 Apr 1862. War Dept. reply shows he enlisted on 26 Sep 1861. P. M. and S. S. Speairs, 14 Feb 1908, Lamar Co., deposed they knew him and that his leg was shot off at the Battle of Shiloh. His right leg was amputated, very high up near the hip. Mortuary Warrant in file shows he died of dysentery on 29 Jul 1924 in Paris, Lamar Co., TX at the home of his son Robert J. Long on 199 Graham St. in Paris. Fred A. Manton was the Undertaker. *It is believed that he appears in a group picture of Confederate Veterans in THE PARIS NEWS, Sunday, May 13, 1956, Section II, page 8. *From REMINISCENCES OF THE BOYS IN GRAY, 1861-1865, by Mary Yeary, Dayton, Ohio: Morningside, 1986, p. 449: 'J. M. Long, Paris -- Texas, Born Sept. 12, 1843, at Troy, TN. Enlisted in the Confederate Army at Camp Rusk, Texas, as private in Company A., Ninth Texas Infantry, Ector's Brigade, Gen. Rugle's Division, Army of Tennessee. My first Captain was E. J. Shelton, and first Colonel, Sam Bell Maxey. ^Was wounded at the battle of Shiloh. Both in right leg and foot, April 6, 1862. Had leg amputated at Corinth, Miss., on the 26th day of April, 1862. ^The Confederate Congress passed resolutions complimenting the old Ninth Texas in 1863 for gallant deeds at the battle of Shiloh.' *[Note: From Ron Brothers, I do not beleive the following information belongs in this record.] Letter from Janie Rushing, P.O. Box 272, Kennard, TX 75847, on June 5, 1996: James M. Long, married Mary Harrison, daughter of Thomas Harrison and Elizabeth Daugherty. They came to Lamar County after 1850 from Marion County, Texas. James married Mary Harrison in Davidson County, Tenn. From there they migrated to Arkansas and to Harison Co., TX., then to Marion County, TX, from there to Lamar County. They had 11 children: 3 born in TN., 1 in Ark, 7 in TX. James Long arrived in Texas prior to 1 July 1837.

Long, J. M. 'A Seventeen Year Old Texas Boy at Shiloh', Blue and Gray, I (1893), pp. 278-279. A SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD TEXAS BOY AT SHILOH. J. M. LONG, LATE CO. A., 9TH TEXAS INFANTRY. On the morning of the 6th day of April, 1862, about three or four o' clock, the firing of a lonely picket was heard, which kept on increasing until day- break, when it grew heavier and louder, awaking the boys in gray, who arose from their bed of leaves and began to prepare for the fray, as it was the first battle and baptism of blood for the 9th Texas Infantry. I was one of the seventeen-year-old boys, who had left my home in Paris, Texas to see and enjoy the fortunes of war. Having enlisted at this place in August, 1861, we went into camp and drilled until January, 1862. I began to get restless for fear the war would be over before we had the opportunity of meeting the enemy and testing the difference between Southern chivalry and Northern grit, and I remembered the first battle of Manassas, how the boys in gray had routed and put to flight the boys in blue ? which victory was a blessing in disguise. After marching and countermarching for several hours, we came in sight of the Federal forces in an open field, where we could see them plainly, and could here the shrill Minie ball whizzing to and fro. At this time we were standing upon a hill and in front of a ravine, east of us, where we could see the boys in blue and gray as they charged and advanced upon each other in ?deadly battle array.? Here we halted for awhile and had the pleasure of letting the Federal artillery play upon us for some thirty minutes or more. While we were standing here waiting for the enemy, we saw a regiment of men coming helter-skelter, pell-mell, stampeding, and panic-stricken, and we thought General Grant and his entire army were making a grand charge; but our delusion was dispelled when we recognized our boys in gray, who had made a charge and been repulsed; they had as brave hearts as we, but their cowardly legs had got scared and run away with them. When we charged bayonets and stopped them, they recovered from their panic, marched back to the front, and charged the enemy with as much zeal and valor as if they had never retreated or fallen back. I would not tell of this episode, but thirty years have passed, and all of us boys in gray are beyond the conscript age. While standing on the hill, as this was our first battle, we must play brave. While other regiments in the brigade who were christened at Fort Donelson lay down upon the ground, so the shot and shell would pass over them, we cried out that ?the bloody 9th Texas? would not play the coward and show the white feather in her first battle. But as time passed on, and the shot and shell fell faster and thicker, now and then some of our boys being struck and wounded, and occasionally a bayonet bent down by a stray ball, we concluded ?discretion was the better part of valor,? and we lay down quietly like the old soldiers who had seen some actual service. Soon the order was given to forward march, and in an open glade in front of us General Patton Anderson's brigade was ordered to charge the enemy and take the battery that had been playing upon us, which was handsomely done; in this charge I received a wound in my right leg from a Minie ball, which prostrated me. While lying on the ground I received a second shot, through my right foot, which caused the amputation of my leg. While I was lying upon the battlefield, wounded, one of the boys in blue, who had been struck and knocked down by a Minie ball, which struck his Bible in his vest pocket, just over his heart - the Bible saving his life - came up to me and suggested an armistice, to which I agreed upon the condition that he would permit me to ride him off the battlefield, back to our hospital tent; and here I brought into exercise my cow-boy experience in Texas, and told him to get down on all fours like a horse and I would climb up on his back. You can imagine the picture of the Texas boy in gray riding on the back of one of the boys in blue; such a hugging as I gave that boy no pen can describe; suffice it to say, all my war fever subsided, and I have been in favor of 'peace on earth and good-will to men' ever since. Now, if any person doubts this story, I can prove it. After this brave boy in blue had deposited what was left of me in the hospital tent, he returned to his command, and I was left sick and wounded in the hospital tent on the battle field, near the Corinth road. While lying there on that beautiful Sabbath-day, thinking over the fortunes of war, and watching the captured cannons and baggage wagons passing back in the direction of Corinth, about four p.m. I saw a brigade of boys in blue marching by as prisoners, and I first thought we had captured General Grant and his entire army, but I soon learned that it was Prentiss' Brigade, and it may be that the boy in blue was one of his men, and taken a prisoner after favoring one of the boys in gray by permitting him to ride him off the battlefield. Such are the scenes and fortunes of war. Just before I was wounded I saw many sights, some horrible, some amusing and novel. I remember seeing one of the brave boys in blue, poor fellow, who had offered up his life upon the altar of his country; he was lying on his back, with his quiet face upturned to heaven, his head upon his knapsack, and his hands folded upon his breast, a cob pipe in his mouth, as if smoking the ?pipe of peace.? I never would have dreamed or believed that soldiers could have indulged in such levity on the battlefield, in the presence of death, if my own eyes had not witnessed this strange sight. As I passed on beyond and over the brave boys in blue, lying on the battle-field wounded, dead, and dying, I saw some around the tents and campfires with their pans and slap-jacks in their hands, as if to say to us: ?Rebels from Texas, can't you wait until breakfast is over before you make this unceremonious call?? As to the conduct of the 9th Texas Regiment during the battle, I can only say that Colonel Stanley in one of the charges seized the colors, and holding them high over head, called upon the regiment to follow him, and charged over the hill amid a shower of leaden hail from the enemy. The effect was electrical, and General Patton Anderson in his report says the language of eulogy could do no more than simple justice to Colonel Stanley and his valorous Texans, who were ever in the thickest of the fight, and ready to respond to any demand upon their courage and endurance. And here ends my actual service and bird's-eye view of the battle; the balance I only learned from the legends of the soldiers and the war reports our government is publishing.

Re: long lost Long (James)

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 10:30PM GMT
I do not know how to begin to thank you. My husband is so excited and greatful! We have been trying to get past this brick wall for years. I know this was hard to figure out, and you took your valuable time and expert knowledge to help us. Thank you so very much for caring. This is our long lost James Long, and much more than we would ever have thought to find. Again, thank you for making two people very happy. God bless you! Good luck to you in your own searches and thanks again. Vidia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic