Search for content in message boards

birth certificates

birth certificates

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 8:26PM GMT
Can someone please explain what the "Quarter" means, I am about to purchase a Birth Certificate on line of my Father, I filled everything in except for the required "Quarter" ie 1,2,3,4 etc. Thanks in advance.

Tracey

Re: birth certificates

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 3:23PM GMT
Quarters refer to the quarter of the year:

Jan, Feb, Mar = March Quarter (1st Q)
Apr, May, Jun = June Quarter (2nd Q)
Jul, Aug, Sep = September Quarter (3rd Q)
Oct, Nov, Dec = December Quarter (4th Q)

It is important to remember this is the quarter in which the event was REGISTERED, which is often, but not always, the quarter in which the event occurred. For example, someone born 31 Dec (born Dec Q) may not have their birth registered until the following quarter (Mar Q).

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 3:26PM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2012 8:26PM GMT
Thank you very Much, thought thats what it meant but wanted to make sure.

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 3:25PM GMT
I hope you are buying it direct (i.e. from www.gro.gov.uk) at the statutory price of £9.25. Anyone else offering to acquire it for you is almost certainly overcharging!

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 5:10PM GMT
Thanks, but is that for a full certificate? as I am about to pay £25 on line here.

I purchased two for myself from wigan registry office about 10 years ago and it was approx £9 for a small version and more for the full version.

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 5:41PM GMT
Yup. The GRO fee is £9.25 for a full certificate, including postage (air mail if overseas). Anyone else offering to obtain certificates for you will pay the same price. The difference between the two prices is pure profit for the third party! Purchasing direct also means you get the certificate quicker (normally despatched within a week).

The GRO website is, admittedly, a little bit less than user-friendly, but if you follow the instructions carefully you should have no trouble. If you have the GRO index reference, make sure you check the appropriate box on the first screen. On subsequent screens, only enter the required (starred) information.

If, however, you are unsure of the reference (perhaps because there are two likely candidates) or are unsure if the refence is for "your" ancestor, then check "no" when asked if you have the reference. You will then get the opportunity to specify some criteria (such as mother's maiden name etc) that you hope will identify the right cert. The GRO will search for a matching certificate. You will not be charged if they fail to find a match.

Hope this helps

Caroline

Posted: 14 Apr 2012 5:56PM GMT
Thank you very much Caroline

Regards

Tracey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic