Search for content in message boards

Sawyer family Donley county Texas

Sawyer family Donley county Texas

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 2:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone no anything about the Robert and Carrie Sawyer family? There children were.
Robert H.
Joseph Z
Southern S.
Josephine C.
Letitia
Elizabeth
Ruth

Re: Sawyer family Donley county Texas

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 8:00PM GMT
According to the cemetery records for Citizens Cemetery in Donley County, Texas, Robert Sayer was born 17 August 1854 and died 15 February 1927. A death certificate for Robert Sawyer in Dallas County, Texas, has his birth as 28 Aug 1856 in Georgia and his death 15 Feb 1927 in Dallas. This would certainly seem to be the same person since the death dates are the same. The informant for the death certificate was F E Sawyer (Forrest Enoch Sawyer, a son of the Robert in Donley County, Texas).

Also buried in Citizens Cemetery is Robert Henry Sawyer, b. 15 March 1890 and died 26 July 1951. Another son of Robert Sawyer, Southern S Sawyer, b 8 July 1900 and died 26 March 1987, is also buried there. He died in Hardeman County, Texas. Also buried in Citizens Cemetery if another son of Robert and Carrie Sawyer, Forrect Enoch Sawyer, 10 July 1898 - 1 February 1993.

Henry William Sawyer who was born 6 April 1895 in Clarendon, Donley County, Texas, died in California in 1977:

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Henry W Sawyer
Name: Henry W Sawyer
Social Security #: 568054185
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 6 Apr 1896
Birthplace: Texas
Death Date: 19 May 1977
Death Place: Los Angeles

Robert Henry Sawyer, born 15 March 1890, is the son of Robert Sawyer and his first wife, Mary Hall.

According to the 1900 census of Donley County, Texas, Robert and Carry Sawyer have only been married 5 years and she is the mother of 2 chilldren. Therefore, Robert, b 1890 anbd Joseph born February 1892 are not the children of Carrie.

Joseph Z Hall, according to records in Donley County, was a casualty of WWI.

In 1910 the Sawyer family is still in Donley County, Texas.

In 1920 the family is in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California, ED 100, p 245

121 157 Sawyer Robert MW 63 M Ga Eng Ga Stock Raiser
Carrie Wife FW 49 M Ky Ky Ky
Henry W Son MW 23 S Tx Ga Ky Art Student Inst
Forrest E Son MW 21 S Tx Ga Ky Bookkeeper Paint Co
Southern S Son MW 19 S Tx Ga Ky
Josephine S Dau FW 17 S Tx Ga Ky
Letitia Dau FW 15 Tx Ga Ky
Elizabeth Dau FW 10 S Tx Ga Ky
Ruth Dau Fw 5 S Tx Ga Ky

I don't know what happened to Latetia and Elizabeth. However, in 1930, Carrie Sawyer and her two daughters, Josephine and Ruth are in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California,

119 148 Sawyer Carrie Head FW 58 Wd 22 Ky Ky Ky
Josephine Dau FW 27 S Tx Ga Ky Teacher PS
Ruth Dau FW 15 S tx Ga Ky

Here is the California death record for Josephine Sawyer:
California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Josephine Carrie Sawyer
Name: Josephine Carrie Sawyer
Social Security #: 554126588
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 10 Jun 1902
Birthplace: Texas
Death Date: 12 Mar 1995
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Southern

Now we know where Souther S Sawyer got his name. That was his mother's maiden name.

Since Robert said on the 1920 census that his father was born in England, I believe he is the Robert Sawyer in the following family:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

This site says that Zadock Sawyer was born in NC. Others says that he was born in England.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

The parents of Carrie Southern Sawyer were William M Southern and Josephine Barnhill. They are found on the 1880 census of Union County, Kentucky. I believe her name there is Willie. She is Carrie W on the 1910 census of Donley County, Texas.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 12:54AM GMT
Thanks for what you sent me. Are you related? Robert's older brother is where I come from Joseph Asberry Sawyer (he is my great great grandfather)born 1848 Randolph county Ga. Died 1927 in Drew County Arkansas. My great grandfather was Oscar Sawyer b1884 in Drew county Arkansas and died 1961 in Drew county Arkansas. One time around 1912 my great grandfather went to Claredon Tx and worked for his Uncle Robert on his ranch. Do you know how to get in contact with any of Roberts decendents. I know that Robert and some of his children came back to Texas before he died. Any information you have I would apreciate. You can email me at michaelgriffith@windstream.net. Thanks Michael Griffith

Posted: 21 Oct 2010 3:18AM GMT
Forrest Sawyer has a grandson now living in Donley County. His name is Dan Sawyer, and he is listed in the telephone book.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic