Search for content in message boards

Information sought

Information sought

Posted: 1 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: ATKINS, BINNS, CALDWELL, CRAIG, HARLAND, HOWE, HURST, LE BATT, MARRIS, PROWSE
Seeking descendants & information on these families that lived in Victoria from 1840 on.

Caldwell in Victoria

Kate Caldwell (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Caldwell
where in Victoria were the Caldwell's living?

Caldwell Family

Posted: 30 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Caldwell
Harrison Caldwell mar. Eliza Binns in JUL 1850 in Melbourne & shortly afterwards they moved to Eaglehawk where they both died.

Binns Family

Doug Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Binns
Do you have any idea if the Binns mentioned in this correspondence is related to Binns in Queensland, Australia. My mother is a Binns and we have some info on the family, but are seeking more. Happy to share with you

Binns ,in Victoria

nancy dow (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Binns, Greenwood
My G Gfa was a Joseph Binns from Cowling ,Yorkshire, b.1837. He came to Aust (? between 1850 &1864) but had two brothers James (b 1835)and John(bi837) about whom I'm curious. Does anyone have any knowledge of these two?The Father was Joseph b 1796, son of William and Ellen.The family were in some way connected to Greenwoods (Cousins) from Hollins farm, Padiham, Lancashire, as correspondence continued for many years after Josephs move to Australia

Howe Family

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HOWE, CRAIG
Our William HOWE came to Port Phillip in 1840 with his parents Robert & Jane HOWE. Robert & Jane had 2 chn. James 1837-1852; William b. 1839 who married Elizabeth CRAIG in 1868 at Modewarre VIC. Barbara
Posted: 5 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2002 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: Howe, Ogilvy
We have a Elizabeth Charlotte Howe (born 1852 Toorak Melbourne , died 1890) who married my Grandfather James williamson Ogilvy in August 1874 at St Kilda Melbourne. Father of Elizabeth is Ephraim Howe, mother Ezizabeth Charlotte Porter.
I dont know if there is a connection
Please reply
Colin Darby Australia.

Re: Binns ,in Victoria

Posted: 9 Jan 2003 4:09PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2005 9:12AM GMT
The Binns you are looking for were in Cowling in 1841 Joseph son of William and Ellen and only his sons John aged 8(b1833) James 6 and Joseph 3 -in Cowling in 1851 there was no trace of the boys but the father was living in Cowling as a labourer for a George Bannister at a farm called Intake -John would have been 18 so he may have taken the boys to Australia - I too have connections with Cowling Binns -15 families were living in Cowling in 1841/51-what else do you have ? Keep in touch

nancy Dow (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2003 3:40AM GMT
My G Gfa Joseph Binns was born 5/11/1839 in Cowling , son of William and Ann, with two brothers James and John. He came to Australia in the 1850s, married in Vic(Burrumbeet) in 13/12/1864) had 11 children, was widowd in 1894(?) remarried briefly(this is still a bit of a mystery) and died 8/2/1917, buried in Creswick, Vic. After a series of business ventures in rural Vic when he first arrived he eventually became a farmer, first at Creswick , then in the Otways near Beach Forest. He married Esther Whitehand in 1864. I dont have anything on the Cowling area except that Stone Farm Cottage where they were registered as living in the 1841 census, still exists, according to Alan Binns who is part of the Binns Message board and lives near there.Is it possible to write or email direct as I do have a bit more, too lengthy for a message board.

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 11:02PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2005 9:12AM GMT
A little confusion here- as according to the 1841 census it was at Stone Head that a Joseph Binns aged 45 son of William and Ellen lived with his sons John 8 James 6 and Joseph 3 then in 1851 the elder Joseph was at Intake farm as a labourer for a George Bannister but no sign of the children I too have been to Cowling and have an old map with all the farms some of which are derelict but never came across Stone Farm cottage -may have missed it on the census but have checked the census records at Northallerton where the original N Yorks records are kept, a few times and not seen your family -where did you get your info ?
arthur.evans2@ntlworld.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic