Search for content in message boards

Harriot or Herriot - A Scott who died in Singapore during WW2

Harriot or Herriot - A Scott who died in Singapore during WW2

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Harriot Herriot
Can anyone help with trying to find information on a Harriot or Herriot of Scottish descent who worked probably for the Government before the war and was killed by the Japanese sometime during the war. He may have had links with Malaysia and Burma. Also are there marriage records accessible online from before the war in Singapore, Malaysia and Burma? He married a girl of Burmese descent possibly from Penang.

Re: Harriot or Herriot - A Scott who died in Singapore during WW2

Posted: 15 May 2010 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KEYT, SCOTT, YEOMANS
Hi, Don't know if I can be of any help but I too am looking for information about an Iris Constance SCOTT who married a John Thomas KEYT in Penang. I would like to find out information about the family who lived in Penang and Singapore. Perhaps we can help each other. If they married in Singapore you can contact the Singapore National Archives www.nhb.gov.sq If you find anything about the SCOTT or KEYT family I would appreciate your help. Regards, Nikki

Posted: 15 May 2010 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Harriot, Herriot
Nikki,
Thank you for the Singapore National Archive information. We think they married in Penang, but information is scarce.
I am hoping there is a list of all those who died in the war somewhere, or perhaps as he had a governmental job in Penang and Singapore (associated with the Navy) some records in the archive at Cambridge University.
If I see any reference to your family I'll let you know. Were they there during the same pre-war period?

Posted: 15 May 2010 3:43PM GMT
Chester,
Where do you live? I am in Kent, England. What records are held in Cambridge?

John Thomas KEYT moved over to the Straits Settlements about 1866 and worked in the Colonial Office in Perak then in Singapore. He married Iris Constance SCOTT who died in Penang in 1942. Don't know what happened to John Thomas but the all their daughters,grand and great grand children (including my mother) were born in Kuala Lumpur.

There must be some records somewhere about families who lived in Penang and the Straits Settlements.

How are you related and do you have any information about the SCOTT in your post?
Look forward to hearing from you. My direct email is gopsall@btinternet.com
Regards, Nikki

Re: Harriot or Herriot - A Scot who died in Singapore during WW2

Posted: 16 May 2010 10:31AM GMT
Surnames: Harriot, Herriot
Nikki,
Thank you for the Singapore National Archive information. We think they married in Penang, but information is scarce.
I am hoping there is a list of all those who died in the war somewhere, or perhaps as he had a governmental job in Penang and Singapore (associated with the Navy) some records in the archive at Cambridge University.
If I see any reference to your family I'll let you know. Were they there during the same pre-war period?

Posted: 19 May 2010 11:23AM GMT
Hi I looked in the Com. War Graves site below

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.aspx?surname=keyt&a...
and there is a keyt mentioned as dying in Rangoon..
This is a useful site for searching in Asia for war dead..

Also you might find it useful if you contact your Red Cross branch near you and see if they have records of the time anyone might have been a prisoner of war..I found my fathers records of his time in Changi and Sime Road prison of war camp,,He was a civilian..and his records were in Melbourne Red Cross as that is where we were evacuated to from Singapore.

Hope this might help a little..If you live in the UK Kew might also be a good bet..

Regards
Mary
Sydney
per page

Find a board about a specific topic