Search for content in message boards

Jean robertson/ james robertson

Jean robertson/ james robertson

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 7:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROBERTSON
Dear people i am searching any links to my deceased aunt and uncles children named above who lived before their death in Salisbury In natal road ?

Their daughters were kathleen jean and maureen now deceased herself any help would be appreciated?

DAVID

Re: Jean robertson/ james robertson

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 10:20AM GMT
Hi there. Your best bet would be the Rhodesian Death Registers which are available online up until 1976 (they say 1977 but I have searched for relatives I know passed on in 1977 and they were not there). You need to know their names, or you could just search thru all of the Robertsons until you found yours. You would go to the Death Index, get the death notice ref and then hunt down the actual Death Notice. I have found a lot of info on my relativs that way - ther eis however a lot of inconsistency in the amt of info on those docs! Let me know 1 of the names and I will do an example of how to find the Death Notice (unless of course you know how to do this anyway...)

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 10:22AM GMT
Oops see you showed the names...silly me....
Of course if they passed away after 1976 then the info isnt available online. Would you like me to see what I can find on one of your names above...?

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 10:28AM GMT
yes if possible please any help is very much appreciated,

My aunt jean robertson maiden name(mann)was born around 1916 im unsure of my aunt and uncles exact death dates im guessing roughly that time.
Uncle james robertson born 1914.

I am trying to trace their children

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 8:43PM GMT
Ok.....best bet is to search the Rhodesian Death Registers to get a Death Notice, that generally lists children (not always as the section is sometimes blank...but has been very useful to me as it often even shows married name of daughters) - have a look at my post to George on this thread: "Zimbabwe Death Registers 1890-1977". It describes how to access the Rhodesian Death Indexes and Death Registers.I have viewed the index and there is no death for a Jean Robertson shown. There are however 7 James Robertsons.The registers are avalable up to 1976. If death is after that I'm afraid its a black hole - I have in the past found the only way to locate documents is to go to the registry in Harare and that requires a LOT of patience and generally a lot of $$$.
Mark
Let me know how you get on - if you cant use the info on my other post to help let me know and I will go thru all of the James Robertsons for you....
Mark

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 1:21PM GMT
Many Thanks for your help this will help me im sure i will have time to spend on this tonight.

If all else fails do you have contact details for the registry in HARARE?

David

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 1:01AM GMT
Hi I lived in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe until 2005. Sad to see the state of the place indeed. The Archives were in a bit of a state of decline when we left and getting docs from the registry was only really practical if you handed over a lot of $$$. Anyway...this is the last info I had below. I know some who have used private researchers to dig up info for them in Zim. However, that is very risky as they ask for payment upfront - no guarantee you will ever hear from them again. Good luck!

National Archives of Zimbabwe
Private bag 7729
CAUSEWAY
HARARE
ZIMBABWE
Ph: 263 4 792 741
Fax: 263 4 792 398

Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Makombe Building
Leopold Takawira St
P Bag 7734
Harare