Search for content in message boards

Kamiah Cemetery Lookup

Kamiah Cemetery Lookup

Posted: 7 Dec 2003 4:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Oct 2005 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Crocker
Is there any index for the Kamiah main cemetery? Is there a phone number I could call? How many funeral homes, and is there one that I could contact?
There is a listing for the IOOF section, but am looking for information on a family that I believe to be buried in the main (? other) section. They are Samuel and Rachel Crocker. Found them last in the 1900 census and a family member says they died and were buried in Kamiah. They are not listed on the 1911 and later death index, so possible they died sometime between 1900 and 1911. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Kamiah Cemetery Lookup

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Crocker
How are you related to Sam Crocker?

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 4:20AM GMT
Sam Crocker was the husband of Rachel Bumgardner, who was a sister to my GGGrandfather. I am trying to find more info on them. Rachel and Sam raised her nephew, after his parents died. I don't know if they had any children of their own, just trying to put some pieces together. Did get to the cemetery, and the sexton showed me where he thought they were buried, but there is no death certificate or proof of where they were buried. They may have been buried next ot Rufus Bumgardner, son of Asa and his wife, Sarah (Bessie) Bumgardner. If you have information on Sam and Rachel, sure would love to hear from you.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 6:42AM GMT
Where were the Bumgardners from?

Are you in Idaho?

My great grandfather was Claude Crocker. He died in 1962 in California. My cousin claims his parents were Samuel and (Sarah) Crocker and that Claude was born in Salem, Kansas and that the Samuel in Kamiah is his father but I can only find Samuel and Rachel in Kamiah in the 1900 census, no Sarah. That census indicates that Rachel was born in 1850 in Illinois and that her parents were born in Pennsylvania. There are no children listed with them. Claude was born in 1884 I think so he would have been 16 when the census was taken...that is if he were her son.

Claude is supposed to be a cousin to a Clayton Steele Crocker (according to my cousin). Clayton is listed in 1910 as the son of Loren Crocker and living in Latah County, Idaho, born in Idaho and his father Loren born in Missouri.

When I look at some of the census records for the Crockers up in Latah County, it does look like some lived in Missouri, Washinton and then Idaho but I don't have any proof they are related only my cousin's word.

She has some ages mixed up as well as she said that his mother (Sarah) was was in her 40's when Claude was born and the father in his 50's but if Samuel and Rachel were Claude's parents, then she would have only been 34 and he 38.

Of course then my grandmother, uncle and mother said Claude was adopted by the Crockers in Kansas and that his real father was a man named Atherton. Since my grandmother was married 5 times and lived in Texas, Idaho, Washington, California, Oregon and Colorado I don't know what to believe. She also claimed Claude was half indian, but her brothers and sisters said she was crazy and that they were all lies.

Claude was married to Janetta Capwell in Kooskia, Idaho (next to Kamiah) in 1910. Perhaps there were other Crocker's in the area. Perhaps the Crockers in Latah County were related. Perhaps Samuel was his father. Perhaps he was adopted. Frankly I can find no record of him although I have photographs of the Crockers that I know are related.

What do you know about the Bumgardner's?

Here is some information from a post I recently read about Samuel Crocker from a reliable source:

Samuel Crocker was a charter member of the I.O.O.F Lodge here in Kamiah around the turn of the century. the info here is from Book 1 of the Lodge records.

Page 91. Sarah Crocker died Aug 22 1902, buried at Kamiah.
(My note) The Cemetery at Kamiah was not established until Oct 1903, so we have no idea where she was buried

Page 192. Samuel Crocker, died July 16 1904.
Page 193. Samuel was the first local lodge member to die.
Page 198. Brownstown Ill. lodge, sons paid for his funeral.
(My note) With the survey and establishment of the Cemetery in Oct 1903, it would be assured that Samuel is buried there. My listing, which is from several walkthroughs and revisions of older list do not show Samuel or Sarah's graves. It could be that they were buried on their own place if they lived on a farm or they could be among the Unknowns that are listed in various places in the cemetery.

This complicates the Samuel Crocker and Rachel Crocker in the 1900 census in Kamiah precint. Who is Sarah? Are they different Samuels?

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 8:09PM GMT
I just tried to send you some info, and got message I sent some invalid info. Not sure what that means, but if you will email me privately at Idaho1417@gmail.com, I'll send you what info I have. I am intrigued by this, and possibly we are connected thru Crocker in some way.

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 3:08AM GMT
I sent you my email. Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic