Search for content in message boards

Guthrie and Mayes of Trigg/Christian Counties

Nancy C. Jones

Judy Warren (View posts)
Posted: 957009600000
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONES
My Great Grandmother Nancy C. Jones was a Jones by birth. She married a GUTHRIE.

Nancy C Jones

Michael L Jackson (View posts)
Surnames: Jones, Lampkins
I have a Nancy C Jones in my line but "Jones" was her married name. The Nancy I have, was born 6 April 1833. Her maiden name was Lampkins (her mother came from NC). She married William Jones 27 Dec 1849. They were my GGG Grandparents. Both are buried at Cumberland Cemetery in LBL.

Michael

Guthrie and Mayes of Trigg/Christian Counties

Judy Guthrie Warren (View posts)
Surnames: GUTHRIE, MAYES, WOLF, TALLY, TALLEY, CLEMONS, JONES, BOBBITT
I am researching the Guthries who came to the Trigg/Christian county area around 1828 or 1829.
Charles Jackson Guthrie married Sarah Jane Mayes. She was the daughter of Hiram Mayes and Cynthia Ann Wolf Tally Mayes. Cynthia Ann's parents were Philip Wolf and Sally Clemons. Charles Jackson Guthrie's parents were John James Guthrie and Nancy C. Jones. Nancy Jones' parents were Fannie Bobbitt and Lewis Westmoreland Jones, Sr. I would love to hear from anyone researching these families.

Nancy C. Lampkin

Posted: 958046400000
Edited: 996292850000
Surnames: Lampkin, Jones, Forgeson, Atwood, Wells
Mike,

John H. Atwood, son of James Atwood and Mary 'Polly' Allen, married Martha Forgeson, daughter of Robert B. & Nancy (unk) Forgeson, on January 9, 1851. John & Martha's son, George Enis Atwood married Susan Adeline 'Lina' Jones, daughter of William C. Jones and Nancy C. Lampkin, on June 25, 1880 at the home of William C. & Nancy C. (Lampkin) Jones in Trigg County, Kentucky. George Enis & 'Lina' (Jones) Atwood's daughter, Ollie Nora Atwood, married Elbert Benjamin Wells. Thus, William C. & Nancy C. (Lampkin) Jones are also my GGG-grandparents. Welcome to Susan Adeline's side of the family!

As you know, William and Nancy (Lampkin) Jones are buried in the Cumberland Baptist Church Cemetery. John H. Atwood and Martha (Forgeson)Atwood are buried in Grace Cemetery. George Enis Atwood and Susan Adeline (Jones) Atwood, and George's brother John R. Atwood are buried in the Atwood Cemetery. Both are located in Trigg County.

George & Lina resided in Golden Pond. There only son, George Conroy Atwood (Uncle Conroy) resided in the old homestead until about 1967-9 when Federal Marshall's physically removed him from his home and TVA bulldozed it in for Lake Barkley. Ironically, Albin Barkley (for whom the lake is named) and Conroy's dad, George,were long-time friends. Also ironic is the fact that the original site of Golden Pond and the old homestead are not underwater today. The small town site is still some distance away from the lake and is on high ground. It is on the south side of the road between the Golden Pond Visitor Center and the bridge to Cadiz.

My mother, at the time TVA condemned the land, was one of the eleven heirs to fight TVA so that Uncle Conroy could live out the rest of his days on the homestead. After taking the land, each of the heirs received a nominal amount as their portion for the farm taken. You might say that a part of our family was physically forced to donate a their lands for all of us to enjoy at LBL. We've got roots in LBL and Trigg County alright, and plenty of grandparents who are buried there!

Which line are you from? Any more distant cousins?

Nancy C Jones

Michael Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 958219200000
Surnames: Lampkin, Jones
Gordon,

One additional piece of info. You probably know that Nancy and William are on the 1880 census. I have not seen the actual census record myself but the transcription online (see below) shows Susan A.'s name as "Sousan A". Do you think the transcription had a typo? Just curious. Susan would have been an older sister of John T.

Michael

(http://www.kyseeker.com/kentucky/trigg/Trigg/Census/cens1880...)

1985 jones william 50 farming m.12/27/1849 t - -

(lamkins) nancy c 46 keeps house k - nc

sarah 21 dau at home k t k

George w 19 son at home k t k

sousan a 17 dau at home k t k

tennesse e 13 dau at home k t k

john t 10 son at home k t k

Nancy C Lampkin Jones

Surnames: Jones, Lampkin
Gordon,

In the 1880 census there are more Lampkins living adjacent (I suspect since they appear one after another on the census sheet) to William and Nancy Jones.

There is a Charles and Hannah Lampkin (#1986, both born in NC, and aged 84 and 77). Could they be Nancy's parents.

Also there is a John Lampkin household (#1987) nearby (age 41). He could be Nancy's brother. The birthplace of the parents match up.

What do you think? Do you have more information about Nancy's parent's and their migration from NC?

Many thanks,

Michael

Nancy C Lampkin Jones

Surnames: Lampkin, Jones
Gordon,

Thank you so much for the information on Nancy C Lampkin. I wasn't aware of her daughter Susan Adeline "Lina" Jones. She would have been my GG Grandaunt. Her brother was John Taylor Jones (b. 1867). He was my GG Grandfather. He married Inez Flora Rogers. They had a daughter named Ruby Ethel Jones. Ruby married Frank Hulett Dunn. THat marriage produced my Grandmother Eura Flossie Dunn. Eura Flossie married Claud Clinton "Buster" Henry. Together they had 4 children. I'm from their second daughter, Dora Ethelene Henry. My mom married Jerry L Jackson.

Thanks again. I'd love to know more about the homeplace of William and Nancy.

Michael

Re: Nancy C. Lampkin

Posted: 1495004876000
I know there's been many years since this post and not sure if you are still monitoring it. Thanks for helping me tie the Jones and Lambert side.
George Conroy Atwood and Mamie (Shaw) Atwood was my grandparents and are buried in the Hurricane Church Cemetery in Trigg County.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic