Search for content in message boards

Nancy (Ann) McGehee (Cooke) VA>KY>AL

Nancy (Ann) McGehee (Cooke) VA>KY>AL

Doyce (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2004 5:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGehee, Cooke, Collins, Benjamin
Searching for death/burial info, abt 1833. Nancy m. Nelson Mordecai Cooke 1803 Louisa Co VA. Moved to Christian Co KY abt 1819. When Nelson died abt 1822, Ann and minor children joined brother Dabney O. McGehee in Greene Co AL. She remarried to a Thomas Eskridge 1829. Have searched for her burial in Greene Co, but heresay is that she returned to KY (or near TN) area, where her daughters Mary Collins and Elizabeth Benjamin were.

Re: Nancy (Ann) McGehee (Cooke) VA>KY>AL

pat (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2004 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: mcgehee
I have the court papers in Alabama where Dabny adopted the kids. He had to go up to KY to get them. It has them as Orphans. The older girl chose who she wanted for their guardian which was Dabny.No where does it mention the mother Nancy Ann . It is presumed she is dead also as other wise they would not be orphans but minor heirs of Cooke and the mother would have been listed. I think the older girl is the one who married Eskridge that you are referring to .As to the other girls you may want to look in Wilson Co as I am not sure but I believe that is where I saw them. Pat

pat (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2004 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: mcgehee
Mordecai's wife was Esther Mcgehee and his sister Martha Cooe married Oswald McGehee.

Doyce (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 6:59PM GMT
Thank you. I'll follow up on Wilson County. Recently, I went to Greene Co AL for research. Among the documents found at the Courthouse: 1) Ann Cooke's Jan 1829 Indenture to her brother Dabney, property (actually meant for the distribution to her children upon her death), probably because of her, 2) marriage to Thomas Eskridge Jan 1829, 3) Charlotte's marriage to Meriwether, 4) the Orphan Court Record Book B pg 137, (which you mention). Ann's death has been deduced by one researcher as between 1832 and 1834 by incidental documentation, as per "Ancestors of Anselm Cooke", pg 82-3, Frances Cooke Chan, ISBN 0-9585308-1-5. Exactly when, or where? Perhaps Wilson Co TN. Appreciate any further info re Ann, Mordecai, and their family

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2004 10:37PM GMT
Does the Deed between Nancy and Dabney actually say it is her brother? Reason I ask is because it could be her uncle Dabney who raised her.

Doyce (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2004 2:26AM GMT
Good point, it does not say brother, sister, etc. But it does mention her mother, " also all the property ..... that the party of the first part heirs at the death of her mother Francis McGehee now being in Virginia, ...". My 'Anselm' reference documents Francis Lumsden and Edward McGehee as parents of 1) Dabney(married Esther Meriwether), 2) Nancy (Ann), 3) Matilda (married Ralph Tandy), 4) Oswald (married Martha Cooke) and 5) Frances Barbara; which references an Ethel Grider (published researcher) and McGehee family Bible. The Indenture mentions the same children as the Orphan Court. So I think I am correct in the sister/brother relationship. Question remains: about 1833 was she buried in AL where I searched (as an Eskridge), with deceased husband Mordecai Nelson Cooke in Christian Co KY (site unknown), or near some of her children, possibly as you suggest, in Wilson Co? Is that TN? Do you recall now why you think this?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic