Search for content in message boards

Lineage of early Powells of Castle Madoc, Brecon, Wales

Lineage of early Powells of Castle Madoc, Brecon, Wales

Posted: 2 Jan 2004 4:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
In researching the line of John Powell b. 1580 in Wales, arrived in Jameston, VA in 1609 and died in VA after 1638, I am trying to track down the Castle Madoc Powells and their migrations. Does anyone have info on Thomas Powell, Esq. b. ca 1452, Castle Madoc, Brecon, Wales, who married Sibil Vaughn daughter of Sir Wm. Vaughn or any other early Powell families in this line.

Re: Lineage of early Powells of Castle Madoc, Brecon, Wales

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2004 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Powell
Hello Mary,
My 8th great grandfather was William Powell. I am only beggining my research on William, but would be willing to share/compare with you.
I have that William was born in Castle madoc, Brecon, Wales. He died about 1754 in Hancock, Md or Philadelphia, Pa His wife's name was Elizabeth.
I have a short bio on the Powells, please feel free to e-mail me anytime.
All other swelcome also!

Tom

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 3:47PM GMT
I work at Mount Saint Mary College, Newburgh NY. The college property was once the homestead of Thomas Powell (f - Henry gf - Richard
ggf - Thomas gggf Thomas who settled in Bethpage, LI ggggf Thomas from James City, VA gggggf Thomas from Castle Madoc)

I would be intrerested in learning what you have learned from your research and would be more than willing to share my research

My college email is begley@msmc.edu

Mary Ward (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2004 4:59PM GMT
Edited: 29 May 2004 10:26AM GMT
Surnames: Powell
Tom, sorry to be so long in replying but I've been working out a lineage from Burke's and trying to mesh it with my own data. Trying to trace the Powell's from America to Wales is difficult at best so I decided to try to reconstruct the Castle Madoc lineage. I have been unable to find anyone so far who claims lineage from the Powell's of Castle Madoc who has validation of that lineage. So I have used "Burke's A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the commoners of Great Britain and Ireland Enjoying Territorial Possessions of High Official Rank: But Uninvested With Heritable Honours." It is available on Ancestry.com. The info comes from Price of Castle Madoc. The Price's inherited Castle Madoc title from the Powells in 1798 when the last Powell died with no heirs carrying the name.

The Burke's account is the most substantial information that I have been able to locate but it does not give many solid dates. I would welcome information from anyone who is working on this line of Powells. If you are interested in what I have so far, I would be happy to email it.
mary

Michael Powell (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2004 7:27PM GMT
Hello Mary,
I would be most interested in the information you offered in your posting. I believe I am descended from the Castle Madoc Powells, as well- and as well, not proven. I am fairly sure my antecedent was Thomas, brother of Capt. William and Capt. Nathaniel Powell of Jamestowne. Any help would be appreciated and I would surely be willing to share what I have. I do have a photograph (recent one) of Casteff Madoc, if you would like one.
Thanks,
Michael

Bruce Powell (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2006 6:34PM GMT
Hi,

I think,I'm related to the Powell of Castle Madoc, Breconshire Wales. From our family folk lore a certain John Powell came out from Wales and moved to Porlock, Somerset. In the early 15 100's I see Rev Andrew H Powell, a number of John's, William's and Thomas. etc. I think I read some where that a there was a John Powell from this family a sea captain who discovered Barbados for England.

Do you have any info of any Powell emigrating to Somerset?

Regards
Bruce

Posted: 14 Jan 2007 10:24PM GMT
Almost the entire linage of Powell's from Castle Madoc is detailed and doucmented by a Washington Bleddyn Powell and is avilable from LDS as a film titled "The Powells of Castle madoc and the Cadet Branches" The original document is hard to read/copy but it's just about all there.
The public Library in Norfolk, va has a copy of "the Ptolemy Powell Fmaily of Spotsylvania". It documents that line from Virginia back to castle madoc and also not only includes a interview with the last Powell to have lived there, but they were allowed access inside the castle from the current owners too...
One of the members of my Powell DNA group (I am a 37 of 37 match to him) has a well documented line back to the same Castle madoc Powell's also.

Posted: 9 Feb 2007 7:01AM GMT
Surnames: powell
I am very interested in your information about the Powell family at Castle Madoc in Brecon, Wales.
I have been on the grounds of Castle Madoc.
Where do I get a copy of film The Powells of Castle Madoc and Cadet Branches. What is LDS?
What is the name of the library in Norfolk, Va.
I have my DNA done but how do I match it to the Powell DNA. Where did you find the Powell DNA.
Thank you.
carolyn powell walkling dcwalkling@msn.com

Posted: 10 Feb 2007 11:00PM GMT
LDS is the cucrch of Latter Day Saints (www.familysearch.org). They have the film and for a small fee will send it to a local LDS center for you to view and copy.
The library is the main city of Norfolk, va.

Below is the link to our powell Dna web site:
http://home.flash.net/~parino/powell-surname-dna-project.htm
please email Jim from th web site for all the info. It would be great to see your results (I am va-5)

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Powell, Burke
Hello Mary,

I would be very interested in the info that you have about the Castle Madoc, family lore tells me that we could be desendants of the Powells that were there in Breconshire, Powys County Wales. My Powells are brothers Pressly and Lewis R. Powell, Pressly born 1787, and Lewis R. Powell born 1792. All records are lost, and the 1850 Census of Walker Co. Ga. and Harlson County Ga. tells that they were born in Virginia. They both lived in Hall County Ga. from 1820 to about 1845, then moved to Harlson Co. and Walker Co. Ga.. All and any info I have I will be willing to share, and any info that can come my way, I would appreciate so much. Am at a large brick wall with all of this, and am trying to look in Wales, but not having to much luck finding anything. Would appreciate any info you might have on the Castle Madoc Powells. Notice you said something about Burks, Is that some sort of a book??? My Lewis R. Powell married a Elizabeth Burke from South Carolina, and Pressly married a Nellie Castleberry in Hall County about 1822. Thank you in advance for any info possible.

Kind regards,
Pat (Powell) Springer
springerpc@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic