Search for content in message boards

Peter BURKE, MOYLOUGH, Co. Galway - San FRANCISCO 1888-1905

Peter BURKE, MOYLOUGH, Co. Galway - San FRANCISCO 1888-1905

A.G. Burke (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2005 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burke
Peter Burke (b. 1861 and d. 1939) left Moylough, Co. Galway with his sister, Delia A., in 1888 on board the Celtic (o/o Queenstown). They were destined for San Francisco - to stay with an aunt Mary (nee Murphy), I think.

[Their remaining family were Patrick, Thomas, Ulick, Julia and Mary (who later married a Tom Donohue].

Delia married Michael J. KELLY, a native of Co. ROSCOMMON (d. 10/12/1937) and lived for most of her life at NOE STREET, San Francisco.

Their children were
Catherine
Thomas
James J.
Ulick George
Alice
Margaret (later Mrs. ALEXANDER)

For a short period Delia's/Peter's brothers THOMAS F. and ULICK lived with the kelly family in Noe Street. I believe Thomas and Ulick later became electricians. Thomas predeceased Delia - family legend has it that one of the brothers died in WW1, but this has yet to be confirmed.

Delia A. KELLY died in 1934.

Peter BURKE was a cable car gripman with the Market Street Railway for most of his time in San Francisco (1888 - 1905/06). He returned for about a year to Ireland but ended back in San Francisco in 1899. He had addressed at 1632 Fulton where he lived with a family called OHLAND (John - a cable car conductor - & Celia) and earlier at 1904 McAllister.
Peter later married Bridget O' LOUGHLIN of Moylough and had nine childern - Margaret, Mary, Juliet, Thomas, Peter (my father), Nellie, Ulick, Frances, Bridget Philomena.

I am interested to hear from anyone with a connection to the above.

Thanks,

Tony.

Re: Peter BURKE, MOYLOUGH, Co. Galway - San FRANCISCO 1888-1905

tony (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2005 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Sep 2005 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Burke, Morris, Scully, Curley
Hi Tony,

I don't know if there is a connection, but my ancestors all had big families.

My great grandparents -- Michael Burke and Margaret Morris had fourteen (14) children - 13 lived. They lived in Ballina, Ballygluniin, Tuam, Galway.

His parents were Michael Burke and Bridget Scully, and they had seven (7) children. Don't know if there place of birth was the same, nor do I have any dates yet.

Her parents were John Morris and Nora Curley, and they had four (4) children (the slackers - even I had 5). Don't know there place of birth, nor do I have any datest yet.

My grandmother (daughter of Michael and Margaret) came to St. Louis, MO in 1889. Six of her siblings also settled in the area and another sister settled in NY City.

I have printed out your message and if I receive anything that may pertain to your Burkes I will send it to you, they could be cousins somewhere along the line.

I have checked with the Latter Day Saints Genealogy Library in Utah, and they told me they have no records catalog for county Galway at this time. It is my understanding that many of the civil records were destroyed by fire and the best source is through church records or genealogy societies.
I will forward you an e-mail that tells you how to subscribe to a society that will get you information on the Burkes.

If you have access to Genealogy .com, there are a lot of Burke questions and replies tht go back as for as 1998.
There are responses from an individual by the name of
Ernin Donnchad O Marcachain between 1998 and 2002.
I don't knnow if he is an expert on genealogy or on Irish History, but I found his responses to be extemely fascinating and he does suggest various websites as sources for information.

Happy hunting -- I was told these Irish are difficult and very time consuming to trace, and I have found it to be very true.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic