Search for content in message boards

Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL

Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL

Posted: 10 Dec 2000 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2010 11:30AM GMT
Surnames: Phillips
I'm interesed in anyone who is researching the Phillips line in AL. I'm a direct descendent of John Washington Phillips of AL. His father was Levi Phillips and his mother, Susanne Christian Phillips. Do any of these name sound familiar?

Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL - Levi Phillips

Posted: 12 Dec 2000 11:18AM GMT
I have a Levi Phillips - son of Hezekiah Carr Phillips and Nancy Adeline Ard. Levi was born on June 15, 1891 and died in February 1971. His family lived in or nearby Geneva County, Alabama. Does this possibly connect to your Phillips'?

Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL - Levi Phillips

Posted: 12 Dec 2000 8:27PM GMT
Sorry for both of us. Your Levi is too young. My Levi married a Suzanna Christian around the early 1860's. John Washington Phillips was marrying and having children not too long after your Levi was born. I wish we were searching for the same one. I'm fast learning that Phillips is a common name along with Levi, for that period.
Ellen

Re: Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2010 11:32AM GMT
My great-great Grandfather was George Washington Phillips born 1806 in S. Carolina, married Mary Jane McCreight born 1816 in S. Carolina, moved to Alabama and their first few children were born in Talledega County, Alabama: (1)Robert Robinson Phillips born 1837, (2)Thomas F. Phillips born 1838,(3) William A. Phillips, born 1840 (died in Civil War). They moved to Cherokee County, Texas around late 1840 to early 1850. They had 9 other children, two of whom died early. I don't know their names. The rest of the children born in Cherokee County, Texas are: (4) Martha Jane Phillips Barefield; (5)Mary Elizabeth Phillips Higgins; (6)Harriet Rebecca Phillips Garner/and McCreight; (7) Lydia Ann Phillips Newman; (8)Samuel Houston Phillips,(9) John Phillips, (10)George Washington Phillips II. They were farmers. Robert Robinson Phillips is my Great-GrandFather. He had a son named Thomas Jasper Phillips who was my Grandfather. I am looking for the siblings of George Washington Phillips. There was a Pinkney G. Phillips who lived next door to George Washington "Wash" Phillips is Sardis, Cherokee County, Texas in the 1850s, but I cannot establish kinship.

Re: Descendants of John Washington Phillips of AL - Levi Phillips

Posted: 26 Jan 2007 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2010 11:31AM GMT
do you have any photos of this family, these would be my ggggrandparents..i would really appreciate any help or info you have..thank you so much!
dana from alabama

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 3:29AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2010 11:31AM GMT
I have a levi phillips in my tree, my great grandmother's brother I believe her name was Vina "Vinnie" Phillips and Hezekiah Carr Phillips was her father. Looking for info on Hezehiah, how he died, where he's buried, who his parents are any info would help.

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 4:20PM GMT
There is a file posted on homepages at rootsweb that indicates Hezekiah Carr Phillips was married to Nancy Adeline J. Ard. It also indicates his father and grandfather were also named Hezekiah and that his great grandfather was William Phillips born 1780 in South Carolina, died 1852 in Coffee Co AL. Here is a link to that file: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jeanette/p000012k.ht...

Your Hezekiah appears on the 1860 Coffee Co AL census as follows:

Elizabeth Phillip 39 b GA
James I Phillip 17 b AL
Rebecca A Phillip 15 b AL
Sarah A Phillip 10 b AL
Hezekiah Phillip 3 b AL

Although the name is indexed Phillip, I looked at the original census and believe it should be Phillips. This family is living next door:

William Phillips 19 b AL
Nancy Phillips 17 b AL

And on the same page two households away there is this family:

Wm E Phillips 32 b AL
Mary A Phillips 32 b NC
Mary F Phillips 10 b AL
Rebecca L Phillips 8 b AL
James J Phillips 6 b AL
Rosa M Phillips 5 b AL
Leonard C Phillips 4 b AL
William L Phillips 2 b AL
Owen E Phillips 3/12 b AL

I looked at the 1850 Coffee Co AL census and found this family:

Hezakiah Phillips 30 b SC
Elizabeth Phillips 29 b GA
Mary A Phillips 11 b AL
William Phillips 9 b AL
James Phillips 7 b AL
Rebecca A Phillips 5 b AL
Martha A Mardin 20 b SC
Elizabeth A Mardin 4/12 b AL

Since this appears to be the same family as your Hezekiah's family on the 1860 census, I would say his father was probably also named Hezekiah and his mother was named Elizabeth. I suggest you contact the owner of the file posted on rootsweb to see if she has any more info for you. Her name, address and email address is posted on her home page at this link: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jeanette/index.htm

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project
www.phillipsdnaproject.com

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 4:34PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information and the link.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic