Search for content in message boards

Searching for Tongan Birth Cert info

Searching for Tongan Birth Cert info

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 11:31PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Hi All,

Is there any way of searching for old Tongan birth info online?

I am trying to find some information about Lombard's that would have been born there around the 1880's, father's name William mothers name Margaret. So far i believe there were 2 daughters born there, Amy and Agnes but am trying to find specifics about them and if they were the only ones.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Searching for Tongan Birth Cert info

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
No. Nothing is online regarding Tongan registrations of any sort to my knowledge.Familysearch may contain something but generally it will have been supplied by family.

However various microfilms of Tongan marriages and Wesleyan baptisms and marriages exist. Whether you can access them depends on where you are.

Tongan Government registrations do not usually include persons of foreign nationality. Foreigners generally registered themselves at their own consulates, if there was one. What nationality were the Lombards?

You could search Papers Past and Trove, as often births overseas were mentioned in NZ and Australian newspapers.

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 1:41AM GMT
Thanks for the reply.

The Lombard's were a European family that moved to NZ, and then moved to Tonga for a number of years (I think he was on the run from the NZ Customs officials :) ), before moving back to NZ. I have checked through the NZ BDM historical site and past papers, and apart from things related to the above there isn't much else until the girls that I know of got married. I was hoping to track down their birth dates and find out if they had any other siblings.

I haven't heard of trove, will have to have a look.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 8:15PM GMT
William Lombard married Margaret Hyde in NZ in 1874.
He appears in the Appendix to the Journal of the House of Representatives Marine Dept section in 1872, 73, 75, and 77.
Agnes May and Amy Ellen Lombard attended Motukaraka Native School in the Hokianga sometime after 1879. The roll is available at Archives NZ Auckland.

Agnes May married in 1907 to Alfred Norman Strange.
Amy Ellen married in 1929 to Harold Oliphant Batt.

William died in 1909 and is buried at Purewa.
Margaret died in 1929 and is buried at Purewa.

There are mentions in Papers Past of William being at Vavau and later at Kolonga, Tongatapu.
Christine

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 8:20AM GMT
Thanks Chris,

I have the marriage and death data, but the schooling part is quite interesting. Amy and Agnes are not registered as being born in NZ which was confirmed to me by a relative, and i know from family stories that Agnes and Alfred met in Tonga while he was over helping to build a wharf. So if they were at school in Hokianga they must have either been back here for a time, or were born in NZ after all.

Ill have to try and get to see the school roll archives when i get some free time!

Thanks again

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 8:18PM GMT
In the Cyclopedia of Tonga, published 1907, there is a small article about Lombard;
Captain W Lombard, Trader and Master Mariner, of Kologo, was born in Dover, England, and educated there. He served his apprenticeship at sea, and came to New Zealand in 1863, and hass been sailing and trading amongst the islands ever since. He was in Fiji in 1870, is married, and his home at present is in New Zealand. All his family were born in Kologo, in the premises now occupied by Mr Holt.

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 10:07PM GMT
thanks Chris, some interesting bits in there!

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 4:34AM GMT
Dear Matt, I now have more information from Archives NZ Auckland. Please contact me cliavaa@gmail.com
Christine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic