From Big Trout, Black Gold: The History of Kalkaska County, Dawn Tripplett, Editor, Kalkaska Genealogy Society: Kalkaska, MI, p. 260, 657, 661.
"Fire of an unknown origin destroyed the Maple Grove School in April 1935. The fire was discovered about midnight and an alarm was sounded, but the volunteers were unable to stop the fire. The teacher, Miss Addie McCool, reported no fire was burning in the furnace when she left the school the afternoon of the fire. The school board decided to use the Grange Hall next door to the school for the remainder of the term for the seventeen pupils who were attending the Maple Grove School. The decision on whether to rebuild was not made by the board at that time, but the general thought was that the school would be rebuilt. Insurance covered the loss of the building and part of the equipment. A stone school was later built in its place and still stands on the corner of M-72 and Golden Road."
On page 657, there is a sketch of the James and Gertrude McLean family. James McLean was the stone mason who built the Maple Grove schoolhouse.
On page 661, the is a picture of the Charles and Sarah Metzger family.