Search for content in message boards

What is the name of this elementary school in Kalakaska County, Michigan?

What is the name of this elementary school in Kalakaska County, Michigan?

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
My Grandpa Gilbert Metzgar attended.

Thank you.
Attachments:

Re: What is the name of this elementary school in Kalakaska County, Michigan?

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 9:35PM GMT
From the photo you included I believe it is located on the corner of Golden road and M-72. I called a man who lives in Kalkaska Co who I thought would know about the school and he said it was called Maple Grove. He gave me the following information: The school burned in 1938 or 1939 and evidently rebuilt. The school was used until about 1946 and because of the lack of students it was closed and the remaining students transferred to Excelsior school (Crawford school) and Lewis school.

Pauline Hammond

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 1:42AM GMT
Thank you for the information. My Grandpa Gilbert Metzgar also known as Gilbert Little attended there. It is very close to his childhood home.

Posted: 7 May 2012 1:33PM GMT
From Big Trout, Black Gold: The History of Kalkaska County, Dawn Tripplett, Editor, Kalkaska Genealogy Society: Kalkaska, MI, p. 260, 657, 661.

"Fire of an unknown origin destroyed the Maple Grove School in April 1935. The fire was discovered about midnight and an alarm was sounded, but the volunteers were unable to stop the fire. The teacher, Miss Addie McCool, reported no fire was burning in the furnace when she left the school the afternoon of the fire. The school board decided to use the Grange Hall next door to the school for the remainder of the term for the seventeen pupils who were attending the Maple Grove School. The decision on whether to rebuild was not made by the board at that time, but the general thought was that the school would be rebuilt. Insurance covered the loss of the building and part of the equipment. A stone school was later built in its place and still stands on the corner of M-72 and Golden Road."

On page 657, there is a sketch of the James and Gertrude McLean family. James McLean was the stone mason who built the Maple Grove schoolhouse.

On page 661, the is a picture of the Charles and Sarah Metzger family.

Rita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic