Search for content in message boards

Death Record for Australian who died in the USA - Has now been found...tks

Death Record for Australian who died in the USA - Has now been found...tks

Posted: 20 May 2012 3:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2012 1:01AM GMT
Hi can someone pls advise me of the follow.

If an australian citizen married a US citizen and died in the usa - wld there be a record of the death. Death was in 1940 i gather she wld not have have a SSN. Cant seem to find any record of her death, she arrived in the usa 1927. and died 1940 march 7th, Estelle (Esther E M Fratus) Dennis, m Carl Dennis.

Any advise wld be great.
ta
laurin

Re: Death Record for Australian who died in the USA

Posted: 20 May 2012 4:36AM GMT
A death certificate would have been issued in the STATE where the death occurred.

Joan

Posted: 20 May 2012 4:43AM GMT
I tried to find Carl and Estella on the 1930 census and only found one couple with these names and they were living in Henry County, Indiana BUT this Estella says she was born in Indiana and both her parents were US born as well.

Joan

Posted: 20 May 2012 7:32AM GMT
Hi Joan, tks for your reply and help much appreciated, this has given me the hope that I will find her records someday . I have actually found them on the 1930 census in New(incorrect spelling of her name "osille" shd be Estelle. However as they performed on vaudeville they travel across the country. Next prob being that she died 1mth before the 1940 census (typical), so im sure Carl Dennis will be on the 1940 census but dont know where, so this leaves my trying to find a death certificate for her, but no luck, such a mystery. I have started a tree on his family which i have found someone with a connection to his family. Any ideas would be much apprecited, So will keep trying. thanks again laurin

Posted: 21 May 2012 12:40AM GMT
According to www.findagrave.com she died in Manhattan, and is buried at Saint Frances Cabrini Shrine Chapel
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=de...;

Posted: 21 May 2012 12:50AM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2012 12:51AM GMT
Go to this site and search on "estelle fratus" with an all words search.(be sure to use quotation marks). There are 26 articles about her. Apparently she was quite famous and well thought of. There is nothing about her marriage, but perhaps she only used her maiden name.
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Posted: 21 May 2012 2:00AM GMT
Hi Barb,

Thanks so much for your help and very much appreciated. Yes im quite aware of her fame, as after searching for 20 yrs I have come across alot of newspaper articles. Now in reference to the Find A Grave...dont laugh but I have good friend helping me find her and I think she set this up in error in trying to find her grave. So think this is not correct. As they last lived in NY 1930 Census, and did travel a fare bit and the last newspaper article had her in Ohio Sandusky1936, so wld they hv come back to NY 10yrs later. I hv been told that she died from complications from rumatic fever. so Id say she was sick for a time. My guess maybe is that as his family was from Ohio Start country that he wld maybe have taken her home in Ohio to die. Im just perplex as to why I cant find any record of her or his death.

Posted: 21 May 2012 4:21AM GMT
Yes, I wondered about that cemetery listing. I looked in two different online death indexes for New York city, under Fratus, Dennis, and first names Esther and Estelle, and found nothing. The only thing, is I thought well maybe she re-married, and you cannot search the index by first name only. I also checked the Ohio death index. I think you are right she must have been sick for awhile because there were so many articles, and then nothing after 1936. Fame is fleeting, huh?! I did find one article on Genealogy Bank with a picture of her, I can send it to you if you don't have it. She was a very pretty woman.

Posted: 21 May 2012 4:37AM GMT
I may already have it but send it anyway Would love it...yes pls. No she didnt remarry I know that as he put a most moving tribute to her in a newspaper but like always it has no obvious links onit...it was a cutout from a newspaper. If you search google books there are 2 memoriums to her from Carl 1942/1943. I hv researched his family down to his father and with the funeral home which I will call tomorrow to see if they have any listings for her. Ive only been searching for the 20yrs lol...living in Sydney Aust its so exciting when I get small snippets of info. I live in

Posted: 21 May 2012 1:52PM GMT
Do you have her birth date & the states she lived in? There should be a record of her death, I will help you look for it if you proved this info. Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic