Search for content in message boards

Gillies with a scottish connection - do you recognise these people?

Gillies with a scottish connection - do you recognise these people?

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2012 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: Gillies, Murray, Greenshields, Moffat, Dickie, MacMillian, Taylor, lindsay,Bain, manderson, orr, hay, wylie, oliver, richmond, campbell, finlayson, Queen, Lennox, Winslow, Bell, McCandlish
Hi,

I am looking to find out more about the people in this photo.
My grandmother - Annabella Greenshields Bain Queen, in Scotland had the photo. On the back it stated they were: Uncle Hugh Bain (middle), with Bruce and Malcolm Gillies (Cousins).

Now we are not certain who they are or how my grandmother was actually related to them. All we know is that they either emigrated or were already in the U.S. My grandmothers family are from Scotland. We have traced many generations but can't find the name Gillies.

On my grnandmothers, mothers side there are the surnames:
Murray, Greenshields, Moffat, Dickie, MacMillian, Taylor and lindsay.
On her fathers side there are:
Bain, manderson, orr, hay, wylie, oliver, richmond, campbell, and finlayson.

If they are relatives through marriage, her husband was Richard Queen. His family surnames include:

Queen, Lennox, Winslow, Bell, McCandlish

If you know any of these names or recognise the people in the photo I would love to know more about them.

Thanks

Jacqui Carr
Attachments:

Re: Gillies with a scottish connection - do you recognise these people?

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 10:20PM GMT

I am not related. Found one record and can not find any other item and do not find a Bruce, father named Hugh.

Death Date: 27 Nov 1967
Death Place: Saanich, British Columbia, Canada
Name: Malcolm Gillies
Birth Date: 27 May 1894
Birthplace: Ballachraggan, Scotland
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: Annie Foster
Father: Hugh Gillies
Mother: Margaret Mclean
Indian Agency:
Indian Band/Tribe:
Film Number: 2033930
Digital Folder Number: 4479277
Image Number: 1729
British Columbia Archives Film Number: B13286
Registration Number: 67-09-015150
Source Citation
"British Columbia Death Registrations, 1872-1986," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org

Re: Gillies with a scottish connection - do you recognise these people?

Posted: 3 May 2012 12:18PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2012 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Bain, Gillies
Thank you for that. I also did some digging, and compared some photos. It turns out that Uncle Hugh is Hugh Bain - Annabella's. mothers brother. It has been really difficult to confirm some facts but it looks at though he married Janet Ann Gillies who died in Green Valley, Arizona. Her brother is William Gillies. They both were born around liverpool, England and William also died in Green Valley. William married a woman called Elizabeth.

It is possible that William and Elizabeth had 2 sons Bruce and Malcom - but I have still to ascertain the facts here. But so it has been the most logical explanation.

I would love to know for sure.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic