Search for content in message boards

Hortons of Beaufort and Hampton Co. SC

Hortons of Beaufort and Hampton Co. SC

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horton
My sister-in-law and I made a trip to Hampton Co. SC courthouse a few months ago. Hampton Co. only has land records from about 1878 forward. Beaufort Co. Courthouse sent us to the old Depot on North Street in Beaufort. There are a lot of records there. They are in boxes and books. Just tell them who you are researching. They were very nice. One signs in and someone will bring boxes and books for you to look through. We found a divorce decree for James Horton (father of Redden Horton). He was filing divorce from Rosa. She was d/o Owen Harvey. James was married to Sarah Bostic and, not likely Sarah Moore. James was in his 70s when he married Rosa (about 17 at the time of marriage). James file for divorce after Rosa delivered a mulatto son. She gave birth 5 months into the marriage. James stated that Rosa presented herself to be a virtuous woman before marriage. Also, found land records. James owned 1100 acres called "Crowfield" Plantation. Solomon and Moses also owned land. Solomon owned Pepper Hill Plantation---which is believed to be the one in Hilton Head. The land is described in Beaufort Co. along the old Savannah Railway and between Charleston. We managed to get several documents copied---and hopefully will make it back to the Old Depot for further research.

So, if you are looking for people in Hampton Co. SC, you might try Beaufort Co. SC---and in Charleston. SC is a state that kept duplicate copies of records about 1790. There were two Secretary of States and two Dept. of Treasury. Records were shuttled between Charleston, Beaufort, Hampton,--and into Greenville by rail during CW. Some records were left at train stations, but no one retrieved them. If you can't find records in Columbia, there just might be some in Charleston.

Re: Hortons of Beaufort and Hampton Co. SC

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horton
I am looking for the ancestors of Ruby Horton born about 1891 died 1964. Her family was from the Grays area of SC (Hampton, Beaufort, Jasper) She also had a brother or cousin named Paul Horton.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic