Search for content in message boards

Senoya with Comanche tribe

Senoya with Comanche tribe

Posted: 1180535165000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Senoya, Torralba, Durham
On the allotment list of 1879-1901 I found my great grandmother Petra Senoya. Other names are listed with her:
Alice, Armstrong/James, George Caervera, Jacob, Louise/Matila, Petra/Maud, Thomas, Aldava (or Aldove). With Aldove their is a list of three bands he followed:
Esananaka, Pahoddy, Carpio.

I found one listing on rootsweb with Esananaka which showed Greymountain. Greymountains daughter Juanita married my grandfather Amador Torralba after Petras death (obviously at a young age).

Anyone know the direction I go to find specifics of the relations of the people on this allotment list? For instance was Aldove the father and the rest his family?

Does anyone know where I can find out about the name of those three specific bands?

Thanks so much for your help.

Linda Durham-Grindel

Re: Senoya with Comanche tribe

Posted: 1183604642000
Surnames: Senoya, Faralla
Name: Petra Senoya Faralla
Date of Birth: abt 1890
Relation to head-of-household: Head
Tribe: Comanche
Agency: Kiowa
State: Oklahoma
Last Census Number: 1391
Census Date: 30 Jun 1911

All on that census page:

Willie Pearl Biggerstaff Head abt 1892 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Vivian Biggerstaff Daughter abt 1909 Female Comanche Oklahoma
George A Dietrich abt 1889 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Bert B Dietrich Head abt 1885 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Lotsee Dietrich Daughter abt 1907 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Eva May Dietrich Daughter abt 1910 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Thomas M Dietrich Head abt 1883 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Marrel F Dietrich Daughter abt 1905 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Edward A Dietrich Son abt 1909 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Violetta Lelia Dietrich Daughter abt 1910 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Alvada Head abt 1853 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Louise Matilda Senoya Wife abt 1863 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Cervera Senoya Son abt 1894 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Jacob Senoya Son abt 1897 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Alice Senoya Daughter abt 1900 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Clara Senoya Daughter abt 1901 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Lucas Senoya Son abt 1904 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Plilomena Senoya Daughter abt 1907 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Margaret Senoya Daughter abt 1909 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Petra Senoya Faralla Head abt 1890 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Tinnie Daughter abt 1906 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Raimundo Faralla Son abt 1908 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Sophia Faralla Daughter abt 1910 Female Comanche Oklahoma
Thomas Senoya Head abt 1889 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Mary Senoya Daughter abt 1910 Female Comanche Oklahoma
James Senoya abt 1886 Male Comanche Oklahoma
Nellie Carey abt 1873 Female Comanche Oklahoma

Posted: 1184379139000
LindaGrindel10:

Several points:

On a personal (to me) matter, you wrote:

"On the allotment list of 1879-1901..."

There is no "allotment list of 1879-1901." What you have viewed on-line is a compilation *I* made of the census lists, 1879-1899, and the allotments of 1901, and posted on my web site at Indiana.edu. It has been cross-posted and cross-referenced so many times that the basic credit line to me has been lost (not that I get anything out of it).

Now, to your question:
"On the allotment list of 1879-1901 I found my great grandmother Petra Senoya. ... With Aldove their is a list of three bands he followed: Esananaka, Pahoddy, Carpio.

Senoya was apparently the same as "Aldava." I base that on the same relative positions of "Senoya", ages, sex, etc., on the 1879 and 1880 censuses, and "Aldava" on the 1883 and following censuses. Those censuses are at the Oklahoma Historical Society, microfilm roll KA 1/1a).

Yes Senoya/Aldava was the father.

Petra/Maud Senoya/Aldava was born in 1890; I have her on the 92, 95, 01 census, 01 allotment list, 04, and 05 census.

Esananaka was the son of Paruasemena,'Ten Bears'. When Ten Bears died in 1872, his local group, the Ketahto 'Don't Wear Shoes' split into three: two of his sons, Esananaka and Hitetetsi 'Little Crow', and his grandson, Cheevers. Esananaka and Little Crow died soon thereafter and their people scattered. Many, but not all of Esananaka's people went to his nephew-in-law, Attocknie (married Querherbitty, sis of Cheevers, gd of Ten Bears).

Senoya is listed with Esananaka in 1879 and 1880, with Pahcoddy in 1883, and with Carpio in 1889.

"Bands" had a diminishing role on the reservation as the agents attempted to focus more on individual families. Thus after 1889, the agency censuses did not explicitly list people by "bands" although they are often in the same order as on the earlier "band" lists

I do not have my documents with me here in Lawton (I am spending three weeks here for Homecoming, research, and visiting) so I cannot answer further.

Thomas W. Kavanagh, PhD
Esimotsotaivo

Posted: 1185090312000
WOW - thank you so much. I'm speechless. WOW.

I'm sorry to just reply I have been back east with no computer. Thank you again, so much.

Linda Grindel

Posted: 1196325086000
Surnames: Senoya Faralla Torralba
My children are great grandchildren of Petra Senoya also, descendants of Sophia Faralla, grandmother. I would like to be able to trace their family tree and would appreciate any information you can give. Thanks for all your work. I have learned more out of your data than what has been passed on to me. Sophia died abt 1955 leaving her children void of family background.

Posted: 1196349417000
This is so exciting - we are relatives! Sophia had three children you must be one of them or the mother of the children of one of the sons. I know there was a son around, I am hoping you are him. Her daughter lives in Hawaii, wife of a very famous movie producer (Sony Productions). The son I know had photos from his mother.

My mother Evelyn (Sophia's niece) said that Sophia was so beautiful. Tall and so lovely. Very kind woman. Isn't it tragic how Petra dies very young, Raymundo her son dies of TB, Cecelia dies at childbirth and Sophia dies of cancer.

Can you write me please so we can discuss more. Perhaps exchange photos? You can write to Grindel9103@comcast.net.

Your are so welcome and thank you dear cousin,

Linda Grindel

Posted: 1196464625000
Amador Frank Torralba and his second wife, Juanita (Asetoyer) are my grandparents. Juanita's father was Esa Toyah (in Comanche), Grey Mountain in English. I have created a Grey Mountain family tree in
www.myfamily.com
I have not added any data on Amador's first wife, Petra Senoyah.
I will send an invitation to visit that site via seperate email.

Lonnie (Torralba) Henderson

Posted: 1207364991000
Surnames: Louise Matilda
Dear Thomas Kavanagh:

You were so kind in answering a question I had back on Ancestry July 13, 2007 about my Comanche family Senoya. I'm still plugging away. I finally found a live person at the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Anadarko to help look up where my grandmother is buried (she died in 1945 at the Lawton Indian Hospital).

I hope I am not intruding by asking this question. My Great Great Grandmother was Louise (or Louisa) Matilda. Her husband is listed as Aldava or Senoya. My question is it possible that the name Louise is a white name and she is a victim of the kidnapping the Comanche's did back in the day? My mother remembers a story of a family member being kidnapped, I cannot help but think this may be the relative. I also wonder if she is German. I doubt I could ever truly find the answer to that question but if you think that the name stands out - I would appreciate your thoughts. I have another family witness who says she saw loads of photos from the "Aldava or Senoya" family with blue eyes and blonde hair.

Thanks so much - I don't bug much - I'll leave you alone after this.

Respectfully yours,

Linda Grindel (ancestry member LindaGrindel10)

Posted: 1231784744000
Surnames: Senoya, Elms
For Your Information - not my line.

The US Supreme Court settled arbitration on land disputes between Texas and Oklahoma in 1923 - it mad rulings regarding land allotments to Comanches.

Philomena Senoya. Allotment No. 3441, Comanche, 1910. W 1/2 of the SW 1/4 of section 36 and the SE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of section 35, township 4 S., range 16 W.

Name: Philomena Senoya
Date of Birth: 1907
Relation to Head of Household: Daughter
Father's Name: Senoya
Mother's Name: Louise Matilda
Reservation: Comanche and Apache
Last Census Number: 1400
Previous Census Number: 1376
Census Date: 1 Jul 1914
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Senoya 62
Louise Matilda Senoya 52
Alice Senoya 15
Clara Senoya 13
Lucas Senoya 9
Philomena Senoya 7
Margaret Senoya 5
Source: Year: 1914; Roll: M595_214; Page: 53; Line: 10; Agency: Kiowa.

Name: Philomena Elms [Philomena Senoya]
Date of Birth: 1907
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's Name: Buster
Reservation: Kiowa Com Ap & Ft Sill Ap
Last Census Number: 3166
Previous Census Number: 3089
Census Date: 1 Apr 1934
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Buster Elms
Philomena Elms 27
Marian Frances Elma 9
Virginia Leone Elma 7
Neoma Jean Elma 4
Source: Year: 1934; Roll: M595_222; Page: 257; Line: 2; Agency: Kiowa.

Posted: 1265607889000
Surnames: senoya aldava
Louise Matilda Senoya was my great grandmother and my grandmother was Philomena Senoya. I will ask my mother about her name grandmother's name - you can email me at bsc1954@aol.com for more info. Senoya was listed as Aldiva and Aldava. Be sure to register with the Comanche tribe.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic