Search for content in message boards

help with locating correct paper for obit

help with locating correct paper for obit

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maimone
I'm starting a tree for my bro-in-law's family & I'm trying to locate an obituary. The location is Elmont, Nassau, New York. I'm not familiar with the New York area so can someone help me & tell me which paper would service that area? The person I'm looking for is Acatino Maimone & he died in Jan 1967 (according to SS death index). I'm trying to make sure that I have the correct person. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Kathy

Re: help with locating correct paper for obit

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 4:01AM GMT
For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the Elmont Public Library (the library can suggest which local newspaper might have this information and other possible sources of information):

Elmont Public Library
700 Hempstead Turnpike
Elmont, NY 11003-2366

Tel: 516/354-5280
Fax: 516/354-3276

eMail: ?????

http://www.nassaulibrary.org/elmont/

The pertinent geography:

Once called Foster's Meadow, and home to the Belmont Race Track, Elmont is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau/NYC (Queens County) line. There are 36 hamlets (unincorporated areas) and 22 villages (municipal corporations) all or partly within the Town of Hempstead. There are 2 cities and 3 towns in Nassau County. (I'm including after my name a NYS Geographic Glossary with the NYS definitions of county, city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone.)

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace, the Village of Floral Park, the Village of South Floral Park and the Village of Stewart Manor; on the east by the Hamlet of Franklin Square; on the south by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau/Queens County line).

For a map of the Hamlet of Elmont:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Elmont-ny...

And, as occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Elmont has a different border than does the "Elmont, NY 11003" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Elmont and a place can be in the Hamlet of Elmont and have other than an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address).

........................................acres
......Hamlet of Elmont.........2,357
......Elmont, NY 11003........2,791

Thus, a bit more than about 1 in 7 places that have an "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address are not in the Hamlet of Elmont. Those places that have a "Elmont, NY 11003" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Elmont are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Elmont that have a "Floral Park, NY 11001" and "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address.

For those who have their copy of the 2010 or earlier edition of the LI Population Survey or have already downloaded the report from the Long Island Power Authority web site (eMail me directly if you need instructions on how to access and download the report), you'll find the Hamlet of Elmont in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County on pages 5 & 8 (map) and 9 (population estimate).

I hope this information is useful or, at least, interesting.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan
Great Falls, MT & Jericho, NY

. Cities, Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Postal Zones in New York State

New York State is divided into counties.

County
A county is a municipal corporation, a subdivision of the state, created to perform state functions; a "regional" government. All counties are divided into cities, towns and Indian reservations.

City
A city is a unique governmental entity with its own special charter. Cities are not sub-divided, except into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Town
A town is a municipal corporation and encompasses all territory within the state except that within cities or Indian reservations. Towns can be sub-divided into villages and hamlets.

Village
A village is a general purpose municipal corporation formed voluntarily by the residents of an area in one or more towns to provide themselves with municipal services. The pattern of village organization is similar to those of a city. A village is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Hamlet
A hamlet is an unincorporated area in one or more towns that is governed at-large by the town(s) it is in. A hamlet is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas.

Postal Zone "City" and "Town"
A postal zone "City" and "Town" is an administrative district established by the U.S. Postal Service to deliver the mail. Postal zone "City" and "Town" may not (but are encouraged to) conform to municipal or community borders. Thus, postal zone location does not always determine city, village or hamlet location.

Please be aware: In many areas of New York State, the problem of non-conforming postal zones leads to a situation where the majority of places have a different community name in their mailing address than the community where that place is actually located.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 7:46PM GMT
The most likely newspaper would be Newday. It's Long Island's paper, and Elmont is western Nassau County. Checking the local library is your best bet to find Newday on microfilm. I don't know if it's digitilized yet. Good luck.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 6:42AM GMT
Thank you both for the info. I'll call & see if someone can help me. If I'm lucky someone will be willing to do a lookup.

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 4:26AM GMT
Try the Franklin Square Bulletin as well (Anton Newspapers) they may have something more local as well.

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Maimone
Well, I've put an e-mail out & hopefully I will get a response soon.

Can someone tell me where you would go to find the death certificate for this? Someone from this family maybe going to the NY area this summer & I'm hoping that they can get a copy of the death certificate if it turns out to be the right one.

Thanks a lot!
Kathy

Where you would go to find the death certificate for this?

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 11:55PM GMT
Since Elmont is a hamlet in the Town of Hempstead, and if the death actually occurred in Elmont or one of the other hamlets in the Town of Hempstead, you would go to the Town Clerk of the Town of Hempstead:

Office of the Town Clerk
Town of Hempstead
Hempstead Town Hall
One Washington Street
Hempstead, NY 11550

Tel: 516/489-5000, X3046
Fax: 516/???-????

eMail: ?????

http://www.townofhempstead.org./registrar

I hope this information is useful or, at least, interesting.

Regards,

Walter Greenspan
Great Falls, MT & Jericho, NY

Re: Where you would go to find the death certificate for this?

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 2:45AM GMT
Thank you Walter!
Kathy

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 7:58AM GMT
1930 Census Nassau, New York
171 Claridge Ave,Elmont
Acatino Maimone 56
Mary T Maimone 44
Carmela P Maimone 19
Jennie R Maimone 15
Agata L Maimone 12
Mary Maimone 10
Antonette Maimone 9
Albert Maimone 4
This might help you to know if this is your Acatino
Nancy

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 1:03AM GMT
Nancy,
Yes, I had seen that. The problem is I don't know if Acatino is the first name. I only have the last name from the family & first names of the children (nick-names). Those pretty much match up but I would feel better if I had birth years. I was hoping if I had his obituary it would have the married names of the children & then I would be able to match it to the one married child I do have. I talked to someone at Newsday & they said they didn't have his obituary so tomorrow I will try & call the library & see if they can provide any assitance. Thanks for the help!
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic