Search for content in message boards

New Haven area Potter's Field or Institution c1930? Looking for my great-aunt.

New Haven area Potter's Field or Institution c1930? Looking for my great-aunt.

Posted: 1153483237000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blefari
My grandfather's sister (Caterina Blefari) had TB when she was in her teens and was moved from Stamford to the New Haven area for care.

According to my 90 year-old uncle, his sister was placed in an institution, or orphanage in East Haven or New Haven sometime around 1930. It may have been a Catholic place because he referred to her as 'being put with the nuns.'

He said she died when she around 14, so that would make it anytime between 1928 - 1932.

Sad, but true, none of the family ever saw her again once she was instutionalized.
No one ever knew exactly when she died, or where she was buried.

Does anyone know of any such place where she may have been cared for during that era?
Does anyone know where there may be a Potter's Field in the New Haven area? I would assume, being abandoned, that she would have been buried in such a place.

Re: New Haven area Potter's Field or Institution c1930? Looking for my great-aunt.

Posted: 1154899618000
If she was Catholic you could try St. Lawrence cemetary in New Haven. They would have the records for catholic burials at the time for both St. Lawrence and St. Bernards cemetary. I believe indigent persons were buried in a back section of St. Lawrence bordering St. Bernards at that time. There were a couple homes in New Haven- one being Springside and another close to where Yale New Haven Hospital is now. I'll check and give you the exact name and location as soon as I can.

Re: New Haven area Potter's Field or Institution c1930? Looking for my great-aunt.

Posted: 1154922276000
Thank you so much for replying.
It's a start! :)

Posted: 1165155848000
Edited: 1165155951000
I have found that if you have the email addres to the cemetery you are looking in,they will do the look up for you. I couldnt find this particular cemeteries email,but I got a hold of their phone number and address. Try calling them,they should have info on your Aunt..
St Lawrence Cemetery
203-624-3980 Fax: 203-787-5698 280 Derby Ave, West Haven, CT 06516
If you need anymore help,please feel free to email me @ Tuesloveschet@aol.com

Posted: 1375231823000
Hi, my name is Tom and I noticed you were saving records from my tree for the surname Gaul. Just curious about the relation! Thanks!

Posted: 1382469886000
I know of 2
1 is over in Hamden near the new haven line.
the other is on woodin st in Hamden behind iron gates. there are no stones.
there used to be a poor house for new haven up the hill and when they passed I guess most went to the potters field
I understand that new haven wants to make a road through it for easy acess to Hamden and if they do, I am going to protest.
hope im not too late with this info
ardis

Posted: 1383409613000
Most likely she was a patient in the Springside Home in New Haven, which was a sanitorium. The cemetery for Springside is on the New Haven/Hamden line with the entrance off Woodin Street. There were supposedly some brass markers to a few graves at one time but all have either been stolen or removed by the City of New Haven. The only marker is a big stone cross at the rear of the burial field. Have you obtained her death certificate from the New Haven clerks office? That would tell you where she was buried.

Re: New Haven area Potter's Field

Posted: 1398946789000
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: O'Neil
I had a gr gr uncle(Jeremiah O'Neil) buried in the Potters field part of St. Lawrence; I don't think there is such an area of St. Bernards, However, the only reason I know about this uncle is that ONE time when I called I got a man, superintendent, perhaps, on the phone who was most helpful. Almost always I get the secretary who always says" those old records are a mess and I can't go through them"! She suggested I mail the request and I never heard a thing, despite then phoning. Death certificates after 1892, I think, may have a good deal of information, but cost $20. Good luck!

Posted: 1535075650000
Hello, Hope this can assist in what you are looking for. I found a Chiarina (Catherine) with that surname who passed in New Haven in 1926

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/74938902
per page

Find a board about a specific topic