Search for content in message boards

Mason Family - North Berwick 1800s - Halfland Barns

Mason Family - North Berwick 1800s - Halfland Barns

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 2:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mason Herd Mackenzie
Hi There,
I am interested in finding out details of the family of Mason who where Blacksmiths / Veterinary Surgeons in Halflan(d) Barns, North Berwick, throughout the 1800's. If anyone has details of this family, especially Robert Mackenzie Mason b.1860 (illigitimate) or his father Alexander Mackenzie (details unknown) and Mother Christine Herd (nee Mason) I would be very interested. But any residents of Halflan(d) Barns throughout the 19th century would be of interest.

Many Thanks
Kevan Mason

Re: Mason Family - North Berwick 1800s - Halfland Barns

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 10:01AM GMT
Surnames: Mason Lindores White
Hi there
Saw your post and can add a little more detail about one of your ancestors.......

Robert McKenzie Mason married Agnes Bruce. They had at least 1 daughter - Janet McKenzie Mason born around 1901. Janet in turn married Thomas King Lindores on 18 April 1924 at Halfland Barns. Again, they had at least 1 daughter who was named for Agnes. We called her Nessie. Sadly, she died in 2000.

I have just started looking into the Lindores side for a friend which is how I stumbled on your post. However, if you want any of the information on that branch feel free to message me, I am sure that the family will be happy to share.

Kind Regards
Arlene

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Mason
Thanks for this info.
I did have Robert and Agnes' marriage and 5 of their kids. I hadn't got Janet Mackenzie Mason at all though. Many thanks for that. I now have a total of 9 children from this marriage, Agnes, Robert, Christina, Alexander, William, JANET, Kate, Thomas & Robina.
I probably wouldn't have looked any further without your help.
Many thanks once again.
Kevan Mason

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:29AM GMT
hi kevan,

how to contact you ?

Posted: 2 May 2012 8:41PM GMT
you can contact me here.

Or use kevan@linksrus.f9.co.uk

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: cairns, mason
Hi Kevan

My great x2 uncle Thomas Cairns’ daughter Mary Cairns married George Mason,a blacksmith, in September 1872 in North Berwick He was the son of the local veterinary surgeon Robert Mason. Mary had previously had a son, George Mason Cairns, by George in September 1867.

I recently looked up some family references in the newspaper archives at the John Gray History Centre in Haddington and found that on the 11th Aug 1882, George Cairns, Mary's brother and John Mason, grandson of Mr Mason, veterinary surgeon and clerk to Mr Lyle, North Berwick were drowned while bathing from the beach below Seacliffe House. A third lad, Thomas Mason, cousin of John survived.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards
Ann

Posted: 3 May 2013 10:12PM GMT
I am searching for information on James Mason from this area that married Agnes Marshall April 11,1828.He became a blacksmith in Montreal. Moved to Canada in 1840 after having been in service Ireland,England and then Canada.thanks

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 5:56PM GMT
Hi

I am not certain that this is a connection but I have in my family tree my 5x great grandfather James Mason married to Agnes Marshall who had a son Robert Marshall Mason in Montreal. My mother's maiden name is Mason. I would be interested in any information you have been able to uncover on this family.

Thanks

RY

Posted: 26 Jan 2014 9:55PM GMT
hi Kevan,

I tried to contact you at address you provided with no reply. If you are still interested, my fathers family were born at halflan' barns. My Grandfather Alexander MacKenzie Mason was blacksmith there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic