Search for content in message boards

French-Canadians in Huron County

French-Canadians in Huron County

Posted: 22 Dec 2003 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GIROUX, CORRIVEAU,GENEREAU, ST. JOHN/JEAN, ST. GEORGE, ST. LAWRENCE/LAURENT, BUSHEE, CHAMPAGNE/BEAUGRAND, MORROW, GREENWOOD/BOISVERT, TESSIER, LEPICIER
I am looking for the ancestors of Joseph GIROUX (b. abt 1822)and his wife Mary/Lettie. They had the following children: Joseph, Mary, Julia, Lilly, George, Louis, Elizabeth, Josephine, Norbert, and Rosanna.They lived in Huron County from about 1860 till?? Josephine married Joseph CARIVEAU, and they later moved to Minnesota. Related families are GENEREAU, ST. JOHN/JEAN, ST. GEORGE, ST. LAWRENCE/LAURENT, BUSHEE, CHAMPAGNE/BEAUGRAND, MORROW, GREENWOOD/BOISVERT, TESSIER, LEPICIER

Re: French-Canadians in Huron County

Kevin (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2004 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Bushee, Genereau, Corriveau
Scott,
I am related to the Bushee's that moved from Huron Counties(Ontario and Mi chigan)to Minnesota. Michael Bushee married Josephine LaPorte September 4, 1875 in Huron county;canada or michigan uncertain. There oldest child, Clare, married John Corriveau. Michael and Josephine's line is the one that moved to Minnesota. I had Cariveau's and Greenwoods in my graduating class, whom I personally know. Michael's 2nd child, Joseph, married a Genereau from Meade township, Huron county Michigan. I am trying to find out if this line has any native american links. Hope to hear from you. Kevin

Posted: 8 Sep 2006 5:58PM GMT
I'm in search of Albertine Margerette Boisvert married to Joseph Choquette and Christain Piesinger.
Albertines father is Pierre Boisvert.Her mother is Marie Benoit.
Someone closely related in this family changed there name from Boisvert to Greenwood when they moved
Perhaps we have a connection???

Scott Haney (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2006 5:28AM GMT
I do not have a record for Albertine. The Greenwood/Boisvert family that is connected to mine lived in Huron County, Michigan and Polk County Minnesota. If I do find Albertine, I will post the info.

Re: French-Canadians in Huron County - Dishaw, Ducharme, Bourcher des Roches

Pat McArthur (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2006 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Deschamps, Dishaw, Duchene, Andre, Boucher Desroches
I am seeking the descendants and other information of Frank Francis Dishaw Deschamps and his wife Catherine Ducharme. They appear in the 1870 Huron County Census Frank Disham/Dishaw, b. Canada, age 67; Catherine, born Canada, age 58; along with Peter age ca 16 born Canada, Sarah age 14 born Canada, and Emily b. Michigan age 8.

Frank Deschamps/Dishaw was a Goderich, Huron County, Ontario fur trader from at least the 1820s and always said to be from Detroit. He was enumerated as born US ca 1805, in 1851 Census Huron County, Ontario.

Frank Deschamps/Dishaw was previously married to Charlotte Duchene b. 1808, Detroit, dau of Michel Duchene and Jeanne Petit. They had seven children: William b. 1830
Francis b. 1832
John b. 1835
Alex b. 1836
Margaret b. 1838
Scholastic Emily b. Huron Co. Ontario, March 10, 1846
Sophie b. same, June 28, 1848

Catherine was previously married Nov 3, 1835, Ste Elixabeth de Joliette, Quebec, to Norbert Boucher Desroches, s/o Antoine Boucher Desroches and Marie Marguerite Goulet.
Their children were:
George b. 1838, m. Victoire Andres (Inkster/Landreau) 1862, Southhampton, Ontario. Their two known children are Catherine born Jan 27, 1862, and Jeane Victoria bor. Jan 22, 1865, both Southampton, Bruce County, Ontario.
Henry b. 1841
Cecile b. 1843
Emelie b. Jan 15, 1849, Huron Co. Ontario

Also seeking information on the family of Francis Andre/Landreaux/Inkster who m. Jane Jeane Duchene, sister to Charlotte. Their children were Marguerite, Francis, Charlotte, George, Peter, Victoire, Susan, and Michel.

Thanks for any information or leads.

Regards,

Patsy L.

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: McArthur, Goodwin, McCash, French
I'm researching some family names from Huron County. The names are connected to McArthur through the marriage of Hattie Goodwin and James McArthur around 1917. The other surname is McCash. Merritt French interests me, too. Are you familiar with any of these?

Patsy L. McArthur (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2006 10:38PM GMT
Hi Charlene

I don't believe that your McArthurs are connected to mine. Our McArthur line begins with John McArthur and Isabelle MacAuley who, along with 108 other families, emgrated in 1851, from Lewis Island, Outer Hebrides, Scotland, to Huron Township, Bruce County. This county is just north of Huron County, Ontario. The families came to Goderich, and then moved north in Huron Township. There were several other McArthur families who came at the same time, and perhaps your line belongs to one of those. I completed a book on my McArthur line in 1996 and did four generations of descendants, so know our line fairly well.

I will do a check on the names that you have and get back if I find anything. You might try to the Huron County Genealogical Society, Goderich, or the Huron County Museum, at Goderich. You will find them on the web, I think.

The McAsh name is not that common over here, but I did know a Louis McAsh family on the Bruce Peninsula, Bruce County, in the 1950s. They weren't a settler family but moved to the area.

Regards,

Patsy L.

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 4:35PM GMT
You can also post queries free on the French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan's e-mail list (you do have to register):

http://fchsm.habitant.org/List.html

Good luck, Jim.

Posted: 5 Dec 2008 5:21PM GMT
Surnames: Granville, DuCharme
I have a Delina DuCharme b. 1831 husband Augustus Granville b. 1824 and brothers Gabriel and Joseph Granville. They were in Hay, Huron, Ontario 1851 census, and in Southampton, Bruce in 1871. I saw your postings on a Chippewa Michigan board listing Ann Marie DuCharme and Augustin Gonneville. The similarities make me wonder if there are connections.
Appreciate any info/leads.
Thanks,
Peter Granville Brown

Posted: 29 Apr 2009 3:32PM GMT
I am related to Anna Greenwood who married Larry Carriveau/Corriveau. I do not have any information about the branch you are seeking though.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic