Search for content in message boards

Creek Ancestors? Thomas Nelson and Mahala Lyons

Creek Ancestors? Thomas Nelson and Mahala Lyons

Posted: 1512887305000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lyons Nelson
Does anyone have information on these individuals? Especially Mahala Lyons Nelson?

My 5th great grandfather was Thomas Nelson b. 1795 and his wife was Mahala Lyons b. 1816
I have found from other people's research, that they were both Native American ( just in their own writing (no proof), specifically Thomas Nelson was Muscogee Creek. He was from Okracoke Island, NC and then moved to Bon Secour, AL.

What resources have people used to determine that they were Native? I've seen a photograph of my 5th great grandfather and he definitely appears to be Native American, but I would just like to see official documentation of such. Census records and even books I have uncovered and still no evidence that they were Creek.

Anything helps.

Thanks,
Katie

Re: Creek Ancestors? Thomas Nelson and Mahala Lyons

Posted: 1516847055000
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 1518282678000
Well, you may be having difficulty because Mvskoke/Creek didn’t exactly exist in those terms during the 1700’s nor would it be likely for one from this tribe to have been born in NC. Just a tip I have learned the hard way, follow the trail of documents rather than “Member Trees” especially ones with a lot of info and little documentation. All that aside, there exists very little written proof regarding personal Native American lineage that far back.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic