Search for content in message boards

Preston

Preston

Paul Gilbert (Preston) (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Preston
My name is Paul Gilbert and I am looking for anyone who has knowledge of the Preston family. My Grandfather, Sylvester Preston, was a Medical Doctor from Canada, but orinally from the Preston(city), Cumbria area (lake District) of Northern England. I live in L.A. and am interested in making some kind of contact with relatives. My father always told me that the Prestons were Normans and I really did not understand what he meant for some years. My father Robert Louis Preston was an Orthopedic Surgeon at NYU hospital in New York City. He was also a published author in his medical specialty (Othopedic Surgery). Me, I'm a Lawyer, not a Doctor.
Paul Robert Gilbert

Preston's from Preston, Lancs

Kathryn Carpenter (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PRESTON
My grandmother was a Preston from Preston, Lancashire, England. She was one of 14 children (10 lived) She was the only one who stayed in England, the rest immegrated to the US and New Zealand. I just received a book she had in which she was gathering info on the Preston's. I am trying to put it into some kind of order.

Preston

Posted: 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: preston

Thank you so much for your response, Robin. Two places were mentioned by my father about my grandfathers place of birth and subsequent residences. One was he was from Lancaster and more particularly the city of Preston. Which I believe is the county seat of Lancaster. Further he mentioned we had relatives who were from the Manor Furness in Cambria county. I have never been to Preston, but some of my friends have and they say it is quite nice. My family it seems had many, many who trained as Medical Doctors and practiced medicine. The only other thing about my grandfather and his family was that my dad, who was a Doctor, said proudly that we came directly from the normans. That we are related to William the Conqueror. Now I am certainly not sure about anything like that, although my dad was not given to frivilous comments. He also wrote on a little piece of paper that the connection was thru someone named Ivo Taillbois. Also the name of Ethelred who inherited the Taillbois barony of Kendal and all the lands in the area of Furness. Now this means nothing to me and it may mean nothing period. I really do not know. But, it is fun to look into, in fact, it is quite exciting. I, by the way, am not a Doctor. I went astray and became a lawyer. In any event I do so much appreciate your replying and some day soon I am going to visit Preston. All these stories may not be accurate, but it is fun even it not totally accurate, but who knows.

Most gratefully,

Paul R. Gilbert

preston

Surnames: preston
Robin,

I want to make a correction, as I was in a hurry and did not thoroughly edit my note to you. I meant, of course,
"Lancashire" and not Lancaster.

Thanks again,

Paul gilbert

Family History

Robin Preston (View posts)
Hi Paul,

Im not a Cumbrian Preston Im afraid but if I can be of any assistance (now living in Cumbria) I would be happy to oblige. Preston by the way is in Lancashire, the county immediately to the south of Cumbria.

Regards

preston

Diane Lassiter (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: preston, williamson
Paul
my great grandfather's name was John Preston he married Sophia (?) and had at least one child, a girl, named Sophia also..around 1860? the daughter had her photo taken in Manchester, England when she was 16. she married John Williamson and they had at least one child, a son, named William John Williamson or John William Williamson, all his records were burned in a church fire in the early 1900's. but he was born around Nov. 1893 or 1894 in Rhode Island. I have no information except what I've just given you. My grandfather, William, died in 1940 when my dad was just 6 yrs. old, and there seems to be a lot of irregularities in his information. Please, if you might be able to help or show me the right direction to take in learning new info. i would greatly appreciate it. you may email me at my email address as i don't get on this site often. thank you,
diane

Re: Preston's from Preston, Lancs

Susan Preston (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2001 8:53PM GMT
I am also researching the name PRESTON. I have found my grt-grandfather, James Preston, born in Windermere, 1825, who married Elizabeth Sayre, b 1834, who came to the US. HIs parents, John Preston, and Grace Burrowes, born approx. 1775, and John died in 1880-81. I believe they are buried in St. John's Parish, Lancashire. Just beginnning my search here and not very good at this. However, if we are related, I can certainly give you tons of facts on US Prestons'. Susan

Kathryn Carpenter (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2001 4:03PM GMT
Susan,

Unfortunately, we don't seem to be related, the John Preston I have on my list was born 1794 and married a Lydia Billington in 1815, at Eaves in Lancashire. I show a James Preston born 1834 Mysercough, father was James, father Nancy (no info on them). The information was gathered by my grandmother from cemetaries in an around Preston, Lancashire. She was the only Preston from her family that stayed in the UK, the rest immigrated to the US or NZ around the turn of the century. She had a brother Roger (b1886) who moved the Fall River, Mass area, possibley Rhode Island. I remember going to visit her sister (Auntie Jennie Brown) in Fall River in the late sixties, and going to Pawtucket to visit relatives, but they weren't home (think it was Roger's Son), Roger died around 1963, his wife was Annie, 2 sons, Robert & Gregory, his parents were Daniel & Ann (Parkinson) Preston. Do you have any info on Roger & Annie or Robert & Gregory. It would be nice for my Dad, if I could locate Roger's sons or grandchildren. Jennie's son was John Brown and he passed away a few years ago, my parents keep in touch with his widow, but she was from a second marriage and doesn't know anything about Roger's family.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Kathy

Posted: 12 Jun 2002 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Tearall/Preston
Do you have a Preston (woman) who married a Tearall and had a son named Charles? He was born Charles Ernest Tearall on March 7, 1884.

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 6:41PM GMT
Hi,

I am trying to research the PRESTON name and it's origins as well as relationships to PRESTON England. I (perhaps erroneously) always assumed that all Preston's were originally from that town. Yet, it is becomming apparent that PRESTON was a more common name back a few hundred years ago then it is now. Does anyone have any information on the origins of the PRESTON name, do they all have roots in the town of the same name?

I can't give you any names of relatives from PRESTON, Lancashire, since my tree is unknown before my ggrandfather in Springfield, MO, in the late 1800's, Mr. George Washington Preston, Sr., whose first son, my grandfather George W. Preston, Jr., left Missouri in the beginning of the 20th century and relocated to Los Angeles, California. My grandfather died in 1986 in LA, after a long and wonderful 75 year plus marriage to Willamette Chavis, youngest daughter of William Cicero Chavis. Since they eloped at a young age, I have no information on either of their families in MO or their origins.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Donna L. Preston

PS: FYI, the Preston name in America, at least, seems to be dying out, for example, my own Preston legacy will soon end, as my father had no sons and was the only son of George W. Preston, Jr. Sad to see such a nice name disappear.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic