Search for content in message boards

Charles E Phillips m Gladys R Phillips living in Northampton 1930-1945ish

Charles E Phillips m Gladys R Phillips living in Northampton 1930-1945ish

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to find information on my great grandfather Charles E Phillips (b 1882 in Maine). As best I can document, he left Caribou Maine between 1910 and 1920 and then I have him in Northampton in 1921. I can document him living in Northampton and married to Gladys R Phillips (b.1895 Connecticut) in 1930, with daughter Arlene (b 1925)and son Wendell E (b 1927). According to city directories he was still there in mid to late 40's, was principal of Vernon Street School and lived at 11 Jewett. He passed in or shortly before 1953.

I can't find anything else on Gladys or the children.

I would like to fill in the gaps of his life, ie marriage to Gladys, info on the decsendants, occupation change from clerk to principal, but I am clueless of where else to look and resources from that area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Cheryl Phillips Shaw

Re: Charles E Phillips m Gladys R Phillips living in Northampton 1930-1945ish

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 1:49AM GMT
I did a search of The Springfield Republican archives. You have to pay to see the entire article, but the preview was enough to learn that Gladys died Dec 23 1981.

Here is the link if you want to search
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives/?p_product=HA-S...

Attachments:

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 2:06AM GMT
1950 Northampton Directory states
Charles E. died Aug 4 1949 age 68

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 2:16AM GMT
Arlene Phillips, lifelong Northampton resident
By THE DAILY HAMPSHIRE GAZETTE
Staff Writer
Login to post commentsPrinter-friendly version..Tuesday, July 26, 2011

NORTHAMPTON - Arlene G. Phillips, 86, formerly of 438 Haydenville Road, Leeds, died Sunday, July 24, 2011, at Linda Manor.

Born in Northampton, Feb. 18, 1925, Arlene was the daughter of the late Charles E. and Gladys (Rice) Phillips. She graduated from Northampton High School and also attended the former Mary Burnham School. Arlene worked for many years as a secretary for the former Woodward-Grinnell Insurance Co. in Northampton, now Webber & Grinnell. Arlene had been a resident of Linda Manor for 20 years. While there, she ran the store and delivered the mail to her fellow residents. She was a life member of Edwards Church.

Arlene is survived by one brother, Wendell E. Phillips of Locust Grove, Va., and several nieces and nephews.

A graveside service will be held Wednesday, July 27, at 1 p.m. at the Granby Cemetery in Granby, Conn. There are no calling hours.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Patient Activities at Linda Manor, 349 Haydenville Road, Leeds, MA 01053. Pease and Gay Funeral Home of Northampton has been entrusted with her arrangements.

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 2:47AM GMT
Thank you so much, Carol! You gave me a wealth of information there. I hadn't thought of the newspaper archives, and not being familiar with that area, didn't have a clue what papers their were. You're help is greatly appreciated.
Cheryl

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 8:04PM GMT
Charles E Phillips (b. 09/05/1887, Franklin, ME; d. 08/04/1949, Northhampton, MA) and Gladys Rice Phillips were my grandparents; his son, Wendell E. Phillips is my father and his daughter, Arlene was my aunt. Obviously, I have a lot of information on my father. My grandmother, Gladys Lillian Rice Colton is a decendant of the George Colton lineage; arriving in the "New World" about 1644. I have the entire family tree of this lineage. I also have some information on the Phillips lineage before my grandfather. Would you like me to share this information?

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 9:20PM GMT
Charles E. Phillips is my great grandfather. He was married to Rachel Doyle in Caribou, ME before he married your grandmother. His son Edward Stratton Phillips is my grandather. (We have done a lot of verifying of this before concluding that we had the right Charles Phillips.) Charles left when Edward and his sister were small, so no one in my family ever knew or met him. We don't even have a confirmed photo of him. Finding out about my father's grandfather is what started my geneology interest. (and if great irony, it is the only family line I can't trace further than 1800.) We have traced the Phillips line as far as we could, to Charles grandparents, George Phillips from England and Eliza Mitchel from Scotland, both arriving in Maine early 1800's. Last summer my father and I went to Franklin, found the family home, cleaned the gravestones, etc.

I would love to share information with you. Your father is the last of his generation that I can see from that family and I always hoped that he or his children might know more about the Phillips. I have also found quite a bit about the Strattons, that was Charles mother's family.

You can message me here or use my email, mainecheryl@gmail.com. I really hope to hear from you.

Cheryl Phillips Shaw

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 12:03AM GMT
Do you still need obits?

Springfield Union Friday 5 Aug 1949:
“Charles E Phillips, Principal, Dies
Northampton Aug 4—Charles E Phillips, 63, of 11 Jewett St., principal of Hawley Grammar School and former principal of Vernon St School, died suddenly this morning at his home. Mr Phillips had returned only last night from a vacation trip.

A native of Franklin, Me., he was born Sept 5 1885, son of Mr and Mrs Edward Phillips. He was graduated from University of Maine, and did graduate work at Harvard and Columbia. He taught in East Hartford before coming to Northampton in 1920.

He was married Aug 13, 1921 to the former Gladys Rice of Granby, Conn. He was a member of Edwards Congregational Church and of the Men's Club, which he served as treasurer for many years and also belonged to the Teacher's Sawdust Club.

He leaves his wife, a daughter Arlene Gladys, at home; a son Wendell E at West Point; and four sisters, Mrs Mary Coles and Miss Susan Phillips of Franklin, Me.; Mrs Marion Frye of Harrington,Me., and Miss Nellie Phillips of Cambridge.

The funeral will be at 2.30 p m Saturday in the Charles R Dutton funeral home with Rev L Byron Whipple officiating, assisted by Dr Paul T McClurkin, pastor of Hadley Congregational Church. Burial will be in Franklin, Me.”

Also this nice piece ran in the Springfield Union 7 Aug 1949:

“Charles E Phillips
Like every grammar school principal in every city and town in the land, Charles E Phillips had his share of troubles maintaining order and decorum among the Northampton youngsters entrusted to his care. That he was at times a stern disciplinarian is attested by thousands now grown old who faced the master's authority.

Yet it is by his interest in their high school, college and post-graduate careers that these same thousands will best remember the man who died Thursday after 29 years in the service of the Northampton public schools. For here was a man who knew the value of education. He knew that teaching and learning were nothing if their final result was not individual progress. He watched for that progress in former pupils with an intensity that bordered on passion.

He was a good citizen, going about his tasks in a way that sometimes confounded even those who were nearest to him. To all he appeared calm and easy going; to some perhaps, diffident. But it was that inner desire to make life richer for all his children that belied appearance.”

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 12:05AM GMT
Sorry, forgot Gladys':
Springfield Union Friday 25 Dec 1981:
“Gladys R Phillips dies at 90; retired Northampton teacher
Northampton-- Gladys (Rice) Phillips, 90, of 328 C Hatfield St., retired teacher in Northampton and Hatfield schools died Wednesday in Cooley-Dickinson Hospital.

She also worked at the former McCallum's department store and previously taught in Granby, Conn and East Hartford, Conn.

Her husband, Charles E Phillips died in 1949. He was former principal of Vernon Street School and Hawley Junior High School.

Born in North Granby, Conn., she graduated from the former New Britain (Conn) Normal School, now New Britain State Teacher's College.

She lived here 60 years and was a member of Edwards Congregational Church, Betty Allen Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution and the Women's Club.

She leaves a son, retired Army Col Wendell E of Alexandria, Va., a daughter Arlene G Phillips of Northampton; four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

A private funeral will be Tuesday at Pease-Dutton-Newell Funeral Home with burial in Center Cemetery. Donations may be made to Cooley-Dickinson Hospital, the Church, or American Heart Association, 393 Maple St Springfield.”

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 1:02AM GMT
Thanks! I had the obit but not the other piece. Do you know if there was a picture that ran with any of these? Also, do you know if there is a library with these archives? I'm going to be in that area and would love to be able to find anything that might have a photo of him attached.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic