Opothleyoholo

Opothleyoholo

Bill Linde (View posts)
Posted: 918993600000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1517686064000
Surnames: Yahola, Proctor
I am from Woodson County. I am a personal friend of Thomas
Yahola and John Proctor. I have in my possession a list of those Creeks that made the trip to Oklahoma Territory in the 1830s' Opothle Yahola died in our County. He and his princis daughter are burried in an unmarked grave in our county. I am interested in the history of this great leader. My great great grandfather commanded the Neosho Valley Home Guard during the Civil War. The Creek Indians were part of the 1st and 2nd all Indian Home Guard of Kansas
They were part of my grandfathers command.

Opothle Yoholo

Posted: 920376000000
Edited: 994947485000
Surnames: Harjo, Na Ta Wa Nee
Could you check on your list and see if there is a Hopothe Harjo or a Na-ta-wa-nee on there? My cousin gave me this ingo. and I'm not sure if Hopothe is the same one you are inquiring about ot if its someone different! Na-ta-wa-nee is his son. If it is is there any way to see whom they were connected with. Rumors have it that One of my forefathers was a great chief. What was the princess' name? Na-ta-wa-nee had a son William. I'm at a stand still! I don't even know who williams mother was ! could you please help?

Opothleyaholo

Posted: 920635200000
Edited: 1517686131000
Surnames: Knight
HELLO BILL (AGAIN)
WELL MY FURTHER INVESTIGATING BRING ME BACK TO YOU MY DEAR! I'M PRETTY SURE THAT PRINCESS IS MY GGGGRANDMOTHER. HER GRANDDAUGHTER SHOULD BE ON THAT LIST "SALLIE BELLE KNIGHT". YOU KNOW IF YOU'VE GOT TIME YOU OUGHTA POST ALL OF THOSE NAMES OR SCAN THEM AND MAKE YOUR OWN WEB PAGE. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN IT. WHO WAS YOUR GRANDFATHER? DOES ANY OF THOSE PAPERS SAY ANYTHING ABOUT OPO. HAVING HIS HEAD AT HIS BURIAL? APPARENTLY THEY BEHEADED HIM AND KEPT FOR A TROPHY! HOW NASTY! WHAT DO THEIR HEAD STONES SAY? PLEASE GET BACK WITH ME! KELLIE

opothleyaholo

Posted: 921585600000
Edited: 1517686216000
Bill,
Please answer
kellie

list of names

Myra Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 922622400000
Bill: Is this a list of the people who left Tallassee, Alabama with Opothleyoholo in 1834 on the Trail of Tears? If so I would really appreaciate it if you would e-mail me a copy. The Tukabahchie council tree stood only afew miles from where I live and I have always been fascinated with the Indian history of Tallassee, even wrote an article about it for a local magazine about a year ago. I have always been told that my great great great grandmother was Creek but I have been unable to prove it, all I have is her name "Mary" who first married (find no record) a ? Singleton and then ? Williamson in Alabama. Thanks, Myra

Yohalo

Wendy Curtis (View posts)
Posted: 931694400000
Edited: 1517686290000
Surnames: McDermott
This may be of interest to you. My great grandfather, Lewis Hamilton McDermott (non-Indian) was charged with larceny in 1895. He stole two steer from Fusetchie Yohalah (?) and sold them for $20. Family history says he stole the steer to feed a poor family. The original court document said he stole the steer for the money! My father recalls a story where Fusetchie had a brother named "Artussi" - anyway. Let me know if this rings a bell!

Wendy
Posted: 964785600000
Edited: 1086751806000
Surnames: Shores, Williams, Parker, Yahola
Hello. I am searching for innformation on my family. My Grandmother was la della shores she became pregnant at 12 or 13 and somehow ended up living with the Yahola family in Wetumka, Ok on the hill. Ladella went home for a visit and went into labor, she died in childbirth and my mother was raised by her grandmother nora williams shores parker. La dellas step father was James Emmett Parker b.3/20/1880 d.7/24/1961 and in his memorial book there is an Earnest Proctor who attended his service. thank you

Yahola search

Joe Yahola (View posts)
Posted: 969192000000
Edited: 993311417000
Surnames: Yahola
Creeknation county:

Write Thomas Yahola at Creek Nation Realty Services
PO Box 580
Okmulgee, OK 74447

I am sure he knows a lot about wetumka history...

Re: Opothleyoholo

Posted: 1517513615000
I read an old message of yours where you wrote that you had a list of thefirst group of Creeks to settle in Oklahoma. I was wondering if you have converted this list to a text form that you could share with me, or tell me what archive I could find it in?

#2. I have also been researching the community that settled around the area of Sand Springs east of Tulsa. There are a number of citings that list a Lewis Perryman as having settled there. I am not sure if this is the son of Benjamin (and father of Legus), of Creek Freedman Lewis Perryman?

#3. The town of Adams is listed by many sources as having been settled by a Lt. Thomas Adams (Confederate). This would have been around the same time as Lewis Perryman settled there. Thomas Adams must have other names that he was listed under but I have not been able to link his name to the area and I was wondering if you had any ideas?

If this message reaches you thanks in advance for reading and please let me know if you have any information that would help me in my work.
Very Best Wishes,
Andrea

Re: Opothleyoholo

Posted: 1517629016000
Edited: 1517629835000
Hi, Andrea -
#1) accessgenealogy. com (a free-of-charge site) has the Creek Nation's Old Settlers Roll. This roster lists only the people who were still alive in 1851, as they were due a payment, so it's not a list of everyone who made the trip from the SE USA to Indian Territory. The "Old Settlers" were the people who came before the majority of the Creek Nation..these came abt 1828; the remainder came in the 1830s. Most of these early arrivals were associated with / supportive of the McIntosh faction. (This list did not include the slave population who also made the trip with their slaveholders.)
#2) Sand Springs was / is west of Tulsa, now in Osage Co. & Tulsa Co, OK, so you might be looking in the wrong area?
#3 - Adams - there were three communities/ post offices in IT and OT named Adams in the following counties: Texas, Beaver, & Bryan Counties.
**Lastly, you might not know this but the 1860 census of Arkansas included the NON-Native Americans in Indian Territory. It lists all the white people who were married to NAs, who were working / living in IT, who were intruders. etc. It also lists African-Americans and not just those who were slaves but also those who were married to whites or Native Americans, were working in IT, etc. (Many of the slaves were just listed by one name as they did not have last names at that time.) To find them: ancestry / 1860 census: put: Arkansas under "Lived In" and mark Exact / then under "Keyword" put: Creek Nation, Indian Lands. There are 614 entries.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic