Search for content in message boards

James Sherman SHIPLEY

James Sherman SHIPLEY

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to find the lineage of James Sherman SHIPLEY.I have no information on James S. Shipley except the marriage date, I would to find the names of his Parent. Rebecca Ann BURWELL was the wife of James Sherman SHIPLEY she was b.6 Mar.1869m.18Sept.1888,d.26Feb.1948.
Children to this marriage girls: Grace, Ruth and ,Ruby and boys: Ross, Leonard, and Sherman.
They all lived on a farm near the Locus Creek outside of Reger, Sullivan Co.Missouri They are all buried in the Henry Cemetery south of Reger Missouri.
I would appreciate any help to find information about this family and descendants and thank you very much for your help.

Re: James Sherman SHIPLEY

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 7:09PM GMT
His parents were Henry Sherman Shipley and Rebecca Griffith. Grandparents were Amon Shipley and Suzanne Grim. Great-grandparents were Daniel Shipley and Eleanor Burnworth; Peter Grim and his wife, Martha. I am descended from both Grims and Shipleys.

Incidentally, I show him as James Sheridan Shipley.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 12:48AM GMT
Yes I am related, Grace Ida Shipley Moffitt and George Albert Morritt were my grandparents and James Sheridan Shipley and Rebecca Ann Burwell great-grandparents. I was told back when I was a child that my Shipley relatives came to Sullivan Co. MO in a covered wagon and settled in the home place where James Sheridan Shipley lived near Reger, MO. I have found a page from an old letter with the name Henry Shipley and Rebecca Hudnall Shipley purchased land in 1856 in Sullivan Co. MO. I thought Henry Shipley might have built the house where he raised his family. I have just started researching my Shipley descendants.
Would anyone know if Rebecca Hudnall Shipley is the same person as Rebecca Griffith wife of Henry Sherman Shipley? Thanking you for your help and information I always do appreciate it.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 7:59PM GMT
Henry's wife, Rebecca, was born 1835/36 in Indiana; her parents were born in Maryland - I don't know if this will help you any in determining her parentage. (There is about a ten year age difference between Henry and Rebecca - my files indicate he may have been married previously, perhaps in Indiana.)

Descendants of Henry Sherman Shipley
Generation No. 1

1. HENRY SHERMAN SHIPLEY was born July 28, 1827 in Holmes county, Ohio, and died July 11, 1890 in Reger, Sullivan County, Missouri. He married (1) REBECCA GRIFFETH. She was born Abt. 1835 in Indiana. He married (2) NANCY J.. She was born Abt. 1832 in Indiana, and died Bet. 1850 - 1856.

Children of HENRY SHIPLEY and REBECCA GRIFFETH are:
i. MARY S. SHIPLEY.

ii. SOLOMON ROBERT SHIPLEY, b. March 1856, Sullivan County, Missouri; d. Bef. 1910; m. JULIE ANN (ELIZA) HOLLON, March 03, 1878, Sullivan County, Missouri; b. 1862, Sullivan co., Missouri.

iii. MARTHA JANE SHIPLEY, b. September 1857, Missouri; m. JOHN WILLIAMS, December 23, 1877, Sullivan County, Missouri; b. May 12, 1848, Clay county, Indiana; d. June 21, 1900, Sullivan county, Missouri.

iv. ELIZABETH SYRELDA SHIPLEY, b. September 1860; m. WILLIAM T. GRAMLING, November 23, 1879, Sullivan County, Missouri.

v. ALICE SHIPLEY, b. 1865; d. March 06, 1888, Sullivan co., Missouri.

vi. JAMES SHERIDAN SHIPLEY, b. January 1867, Missouri; m. REBECCA ANN BURWELL; b. Abt. 1870, Missouri.

Child of HENRY SHIPLEY and NANCY J. is:
vii. CHARLES R. SHIPLEY, b. 1850, Indiana.

I also have this note in my files:

SHIPLEY, Henry- s. of Amon Shipley & Susannah Grim; m. Rebecca (b. 1835/6 Ind.; her parents b. md.; fi. 1890); f. of Solomon Robert, Martha Jane, James Sheridan, Alice (b. 1864/5 Mo.; d. 6 Mar 1888 SC), Elizabeth Syrelda, Alice M. (b. 1864 Mo.; d. 6 Mar 1888 SC), James S. (b. 1865/6 Mo.) & Mary S. Shipley (b. 1867/8 Mo.); (Sam Breeding was one of Henry's heirs) Henry Shipley b. 25 July 1827 Holmes Co., Ohio; his parents b. Pa.; came from Terre Haute, Ind. to Sullivan Co, ur. Reger, c. 1855; d. 11 July 1890 Duncan tsp. [drSC]; bur. Reger Cern.; will dated 9 July 1890-pr. 26 July 1890 Sullivan Co.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic