Search for content in message boards

Coles County cemetary records

Coles County cemetary records

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 8:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richardson, Newman, Woodrum, Bruce, Brown
Hi there, I don't know what kind of resources there are, but I'm looking for the Richardson family--They were listed in Seven Hickory township in several censuses. They could be in/near Loxa or Mattoon...sorry, I don't know the geography.

John C. Richardson, b.1825 d. after 1880
Harriet Wade Richardson, b. 1838, d.Dec 1926

There might be little Richardsons, the only one I'm pretty sure of is Harriet, born about 1859, died before 1880. Am interested in any and all Richardson names in the vicinity.

Thanks for any help or insight into where to look further.

Stefanie

Re: Coles County cemetery records

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 6:32PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2005 4:14PM GMT
Richardson:

Mound Cemetery, Charleston, Coles County, IL
Richardson:
Charles 2/3/1887 - 10/05/1961
May 5/21/1889 - 1/3/1962
David Orva (age 73) 8/30/1956
Harriett 12/20/1926
Allie 1/4/1927
John (age 78)(Decatur, IL) 1/14/1952
Mary Lizzie (age 69) 7/22/1952
William 1/26/1852 - 9/30/1920
Harlen 4/2/1934
Irac IL Pvt Co 361 Inf WWI 1/1/1894 - 6/21/1954
Jane H. 1860 - 1953
Charles 4/13/1941

There are more in other cemeteries in Coles County, if you need the rest, please email me and I'll look for you.

Thanks,
Kelly

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 8:04AM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2002 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Mahanes
Could you check on the name Mahanes for Coles Co Cemeteries middle 1800's--Matoon.

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2005 4:14PM GMT
Hello. I do volunteer lookups in Coles County. If you wish, please email me direct at keyrse@mcleodusa.net
Some of these boards, not necessarily this one, don't always let me know if there is a reply and I don't want you to think I ignored anyone :)

Okay, I don't find any Mahanes surname buried in Coles County. This is the closest thing I do find:

Dry Grove Cemetery
Maharies, James (son of W&MA) age 18 1841-5/4/1859

If there is other information that you are seeking, please email me and let me know! I do have Cumberland County as well, let me know if that applies & I'll look there.

Good luck,
Kelly

Re: Coles County cemetary records

catherine white (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, TEFT
Do you know anything about Liberty Church United Bethran Saved Cemetary? My g-g grandfather is buried there. Seton Brown or Seaton Brown I am not sure of spelling. He was married to Dianthan Teft married 2/16/1898 She apparently had TB and they moved to Colorado for a while then moved back to Illinois, Charleston. Can you help?

Pleaase e-mail me at TN_FIGUERAS@HOTMAIL.COM

Posted: 29 Mar 2005 9:54AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2006 10:37AM GMT
We were just there and took pictures as we were looking for Florence D. BROWN OLIVER (divorced Edward) DAVIS (Newton) and found her next to Jeremiah BROWN--her father Jerry or Jeremy and listed as Dilla DAVIS, 1870-1902. Her mother was Mary Jane BIGGS and according to my husband's mother who is still living, Jeremy came to stay with her folks (her father was a grandson thru Dilla and Edward) from time to time and his wife had refused to come back from Colorado when he did so she remembers her parents talking about how stubborn Jeremy and Mary were. I do not have the pictures of the stones handy but I believe that there is more than 1 Seton Brown there, perhaps a Seaton as well. I believe that Oakland, Illinois Browns- Dickie (now deceased) but he had many children including a Bub Brown that I cannot remember his real name-- try contacting a Beverly Farthing thru the Oakland Post Office-- maybe Lena Hettinger can forward a message from you to her.

Posted: 29 Mar 2005 10:09AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2006 10:37AM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, Davis, Biggs
I am so sorry, I neglected to give you a location for the Liberty Church (still standing but not useable as far as we could tell) and the graveyard next to it-- I believe that it is a Baptist, maybe Separate Baptist, maybe not, it's not something I remember, but the location is near Hutton, Illinois --a very small town near Westfield, Illinois- another small town and south of Charleston, Illinois in Coles county -- in Hutton Twp. I believe, on Liberty church road. Directions are not my strong point, but the Charleston Memorial Library has an excellent pamphlet on graveyards. There are many, many BROWNS there

Melinda (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2005 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: Oliver
Would you happen to have a Levina Childress in your family who married Ferdinand Oliver 1867 Coles IL in your family? I am desperately seeking his parents names or even his middle name or nickname. He migrated OH-IN-IL. This would have been a later in life marriage after his first wife died. They would have been together just a couple of years because he died 1869. Thank you.

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 2:23AM GMT
I have a Jeremiah Brown born abt 1848 the son of Francis Marion Brown and his wife Barbara Fitzpatrick who came from Highland and Augusta Co's, VA. Seaton in listed beside Jeremiah in the 1900 Hutton twp. Coles Co, IL census. I'm not certain at this time if they are related but think so.

Francis Marion is a brother of my gg-grandfather Thomas who married twice in Highland Co, VA and died in Braxton Co, WV. Francis M. was b. in MD where the parents married in 1801in Baltimore and Thomas was b. in D.C. Their parents are Thomas b. 1777 in Italy and Elizabeth Dick b. in MD. There were several families who moved from Highland Co Va to Coles Co IL. Some were Johns, Devericks and others whom I can't think of right now. Does any of this fit in with those you have mentioned here?
Mary mrscott517@adelphia.net

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 7:27PM GMT
I have a Jeremiah Brown born abt 1848 in IL the son of Francis Marion Brown and his wife Barbara Fitzpatrick who came from Highland and Augusta Co's, VA.

In the 1880 Hutton, Coles, IL a Seaton H. is listed as son of Jeremiah and Mary J Brown.

In the 1900 census of Hutton Twp Seton and Diantha are living next door to Jeremiah and Mary J. Brown.

Further info is listed in this string of queries about the cemetery.
Mary
mrscott517@adelphia.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic