Search for content in message boards

CARTER, LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON

CARTER, LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON

Elaine Randall English (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARTER, LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON
Looking for information or others researching the following PORTER family: William PORTER,(Jr.?);wife either Mary WOODSON or Hannah unknown or both; left will in Henrico Co., VA dated 26 Jun 1750. Children: Amey m. Povall CARTER; Jane; Sarah; Tabitha; Ann m. Richard PLEASANTS; Susanna m. unk LAYNE; and Elizabeth m. unk PLEASANTS.

LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON

Diane Killion - funusa@juno.com (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON
I have information on a Sarah Porter, born 1660 in Henrico Co., VA; married Benjamin Woodson on May 25, 1770; 8 children.

I also have information on some members of the following families:

Layne; Pleasants; Woodson.

Feel free to email me personally for specific information.

Diane Killion

PLEASANTS etc.

Posted: 12 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER, LAYNE, PLEASANTS, PORTER, WOODSON
Hi Diane:
Thanks for your response to these families in Henrico Co., VA. I'll be in touch asap!
Elaine
eng4@stc.net

PORTER

alb (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Parter, Parteur, Guerin
Elaine, according to an old genealogy chart I have, the Parter Family of Henrico County, Virginia, was a changed spelling from the name "Parteur". I have seen the "Parter" written in cursive on these charts, which makes it look like "Porter", instead. Names do sometimes change over time. I have to wonder if these two families aren't the same, but just diverged in their spelling of the name? Our charts list a Capt. Thomas Parteur who was a commissioned officer of the militia in 1747. He married an Elizabeth Dutois. Their children were: John Parter, Elizabeth Parter (who married Jean Guerin, born 1733), WILLIAM DUTOIS PARTER, Mary Parter (who married Daniel Guerin, born 1748), Sarah Parter, and Isaac Parter. I wonder if this is the William Porter you are looking for? If not, perhaps his father has a brother named William? Try searching Parter as well as Porter, or even Parteur. Hope this helps!

Porter

Posted: 15 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Woodson, Cocke, Pleasants
Hi:
Perhaps your PARTER etc., does have bearing on my PORTER..however, it is known that my lines were QUAKER...sounds like your families were Huguenot. Were they? I'd love to hear from you privately and exchange some information on the old Henrico families...they are all so interconnected that to know one is to know them all!

Porter

Posted: 18 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Pleasants, Cocke
Hi:
Yes, I now know what you are saying...please contact me privately...I have DUTOIT and GUERRANT intermarried with PORTER...possibly same as DUTOIS and GUERIN?
E

Parter /Porter?

alb (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Parter, Porter
Hi Elaine! No, the Parter family I am referring to is not Huguenot, they are English. However, they married into the Huguenot families of Dutois and Guerin. According to an old genealogy chart I have, the Parter family came from England. Allegedly, they have a distant ancestor who came over to
England in 1066 with William the Conqueror (from France..
Normandy). This ancestors son became the cup bearer, or "Porteur" of Henry I of England. "Parteur", a name once describing the occupation, became "Parter" over the years.
I think they arrived in Henrico County Virginia around 1700, but maybe earlier.

Porter/Parter and Guerrant/Guerin

alb (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Parter, Guerrant, Guerin, Pleasant
Hi Elaine! I don't have a personal e-mail, but don't mind posting here, since other family researches will probably also benefit from the exchange of information on these lines. Guerrant IS the same family as Guerin! The Guerin family of Henrico County, Virginia changed the spelling of their name to Guerrant around 1760. Any Guerin's already born by then are often referred to by either last name, but those born after 1760 are generally known as Guerrant in this line. The Guerin/Guerrants were Huguenots who arrived in Virginia in 1700. The immigrant couple were Daniel Guerin and his wife, Marie L'Orange. They had at least two sons.
Their son Maj. Pierre Guerin married Magdalene Trabue (daughter of Huguenot immigrant Antoine Trabue). They had several children, including two sons who married two Parter daughters. Jean Guerin, born in 1733 married Elizabeth Parter. his brother Daniel born 1748 married Elizabeth's sister, Mary Parter. Both families were probably known both as Guerin and as Guerrant. Now, Jean Guerin/Guerrant and Elizabeth Parter had several children, including a daughter named Mary Guerrant who married Joseph PLEASANT. I notice you were researching Pleasants also. Is this your tie-in?
I do not have much on the Parters (Or as they were also apparently known, the Porters). I don't know that Dutois and Dutoit are the same, but I assume so, given that both names would be pronounced the same in French, so they are probably just spelling variations. The only information I have on the Parters is the story I have already told you about the origin of the name, and the one family of Capt. Thomas Parter and his wife Elizabeth Dutois. They had six children: John Parter, born 1734; Elizabeth Parter born 1734 (Married Guerin); William Dutois Parter, born 1737; Mary Parter, born 1751 who married into Guerin family also; Sara Parter, born 1743 and Isaac Parter, born 1753.
That is all the chart I have lists of the Parters. It sounds like your information goes considerably farther back. If you have time to post it, I would be grateful. it would probably also benefit future Parter/Porter researchers.
When did they first come to this country? Where in England did they come from? You can find LOTS more info on the net for Guerin and Trabue. Try checking under Huguenots at www.cyndislist.com, plus running name searches on various data bases. Lots of info around!

Porter

Posted: 20 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Pleasants, Cocke, Guerrant, Dutoit
PLEASANTS:
Richard Pleasants, Sr. (Joseph6, John5, John4, John3, Robert2, William1) was born Abt. 1710, and died 1778 in Goochland Co., VA. He married Anne Porter Abt. 1735 in Henrico Co., VA, daughter of William Porter and Hannah Povall?.

Notes for Richard Pleasants, Sr.:
Will proved 15 May 1778. Disowned for marrying contrary to good order at Henrico Monthly Meeting, 1st 8mo. 1735.

Will of Richard Pleasants, Sr.
W.B. 17, p. 178, Goochland County, VA
Recorded 15 May 1778
Proved by the oath of John GUERRANT and the affirmation of Arch.Pleasants (a Quaker) and recorded. May 15, 1778.

Children of Richard Pleasants and Anne Porter are:
+ 2 i. Richard8 Pleasants, Jr., born Abt. 1740; died Aft. 1801 in Goochland Co., VA (Probable).
+ 3 ii. Martha Patty Pleasants.
+ 4 iii. Joseph Pleasants.

Generation No. 2

2. Richard8 Pleasants, Jr. (Richard7, Joseph6, John5, John4, John3, Robert2, William1) was born Abt. 1740, and died Aft. 1801 in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). He married Anne "Jeannie" LaPrade 01 July 1762 in Goochland Co., VA, daughter of John LaPrade and Unknown.

Children of Richard Pleasants and Anne LaPrade are:

5 i. Ann "Sally"9 Pleasants, born in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). She married John T. Gladden 19 February 1815 in Albemarle Co., VA.

6 ii. Jane Pleasants. She married David Spradling 07 November 1821 in Albemarle Co., VA.

Notes for Jane Pleasants:
This Jane was adopted.

7 iii. Joanna F. Pleasants, born in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). She married Jacob Drumheller 16 October 1819 in Albemarle Co., VA.

8 iv. Robert Pleasants, died 1818 in Albemarle Co., VA. He married Sally Rogers 07 September 1801 in Albemarle Co., VA.

9 v. Samuel Pleasants.

10 vi. Temperance Pleasants.

11 vii. Thomas Pleasants, born in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). He married Susan H. Goodman 04 April 1825 in Albemarle Co., VA.

12 viii. Union Pleasants.

13 ix. Jeanie Pleasants, born 02 November 1763 in Goochland Co., VA. She married Robert Blanks 02 May 1785 in Goochland Co., VA.

14 x. Martha Pleasants, born 26 April 1765 in Goochland Co., VA; died Abt. 1848 in State of Virginia. She married William Suddarth, Sr. 01 April 1786 in Goochland Co., VA. *MY LINE*

15 xi. John Pleasants, born 10 January 1767 in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). He married Jane Spencer 23 November 1816 in Albemarle Co., VA.

16 xii. Richard S. Pleasants, born 1780 in Goochland Co., VA (Probable). He married Zipporah Hicks 24 December 1806 in Albemarle Co., VA.

3. Martha Patty8 Pleasants (Richard7, Joseph6, John5, John4, John3, Robert2, William1). She married William Watson, Jr. 17 February 1768 in St. James Parish, Goochland Co., VA, son of William Watson and Presilla Unknown.

Children of Martha Pleasants and William Watson are:

17 i. Ann9 Watson.

18 ii. Nancy Watson, born 1767 in Goochland Co., VA; died 1856 in Grainger Co., TN. She married John Acuff, Jr. 24 August 1790 in Martinsville, Henry Co., VA.

4. Joseph8 Pleasants (Richard7, Joseph6, John5, John4, John3, Robert2, William1). He married Mary GUERRANT 21 April 1771 in Goochland Co., VA, daughter of John GUERRANT and Elizabeth Porter.

Children of Joseph Pleasants and Mary Guerrant are:

19 i. Joseph9 Pleasants.

20 ii. Samuel Pleasants. He married Elizabeth Holeman.

21 iii. Elizabeth Pleasants. She married Philip Sidney Pleasants.

22 iv. Demaris Pleasants. She married Robert Lee Pleasants.

23 v. Endocia Pleasants. She married Hezekiah Puryear.

24 vi. Simeon Pleasants.

25 vii. Mary Pleasants.

26 viii. Daniel Pleasants. He married (1) Ann Ormond. He married (2) Unknown Puryear.

27 ix. Reuben Pleasants. He married Samah Goutry.

PORTER:
William4 Porter III (William3, William2, Unknown1) died Abt. 1747 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable). He married (1) Mary Kemp, daughter of Thomas Kemp and Unknown. He married (2) Margaret Goode?. He married (3) Jane Unknown.

Children of William Porter and Mary Kemp are:
+ 2 i. William5 Porter IV, born Bef. 1710; died Bet. 1750 - 1751 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable).*MY LINE*
+ 3 ii. Thomas Porter, died 1767 in Cumberland Co., VA.

Children of William Porter and Margaret Goode? are:
+ 4 i. John5 Porter.

5 ii. Sara Porter.

Generation No. 2

2. William5 Porter IV (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1) was born Bef. 1710, and died Bet. 1750 - 1751 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable). He married Hannah or Anne Povall?.

Children of William Porter and Hannah Povall? are:

6 i. Anne6 Porter. She married Richard Pleasants, Sr. Abt. 1735 in Henrico Co., VA. *MY LINE*

7 ii. Susanna Porter. She married Unknown Layne.

8 iii. Elizabeth Porter. She married Thomas Pleasants.

9 iv. Amey Porter, died Abt. 1800 in Prince Edward Co., VA. She married Povall Carter.

10 v. Mary Porter. She married Morris Hamblet.

11 vi. William? Porter, Jr.. He married Rebecca Burner.

12 vii. Jane Porter.

13 viii. Sarah Porter.

14 ix. Tabbith Porter.

3. Thomas5 Porter (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1) died 1767 in Cumberland Co., VA. He married Elizabeth DUTOIT, daughter of Pierre DUTOIT and Barbara Bonnet?.

Children of Thomas Porter and Elizabeth Dutoit are:

15 i. Ann6 Porter. She married (1) Joseph Lewis. She married (2) Charles Sampson.

16 ii. Barbara Porter.

17 iii. John Porter. He married Sarah Watkins.

18 iv. Thomas Porter, died Abt. 1797 in Powhatan Co., VA.

19 v. William Porter, born 04 March 1729/30.

20 vi. Elizabeth Porter, born 26 March 1732. She married Daniel Branch, Sr..

21 vii. Dutoy Porter, born 17 February 1737/38. He married Unknown.

22 viii. William Porter, Second, born 27 September 1740; died 1775. He married Magdeline Chastain.

23 ix. Sarah Porter, born 07 February 1742/43. She married Thomas Hatcher.

24 x. Isaac Porter, born Abt. 1750; died 1786. He married Unknown.

25 xi. Marie or Mary Porter, born 25 December 1751. She married Daniel Guerrant.

4. John5 Porter (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1). He married Marie Unknown.

Children of John Porter and Marie Unknown are:

26 i. Elizabeth6 Porter, born 20 May 1736. She married John GUERRANT Abt. 1770.

27 ii. Maria Porter, born 30 March 1738. She married John Barnes? Abt. 1755.

Porter

Posted: 30 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Cocke, Pleasants
I will tell you from the first...that all these many William Porters make for a very unclear research...don't rely on what I post...but follow up. I'd be much interested in info on Kemp...I think we must start a new thread this one is about to run off the page. If you do, I'll have to try to remember to check the Henrico site...as it's not my usual thing to do very often...so perhaps post once more to this thread to warn me you are about the start a new thread!
Elaine

Descendants of William Porter III

Generation No. 1

1. William4 Porter III (William3, William2, Unknown1) died Abt. 1747 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable). He married (1) Mary Kemp, daughter of Thomas Kemp and Unknown. He married (2) Margaret Goode?. He married (3) Jane Unknown.

Notes for William Porter III:
Or William Porter, II; In 1687 a John PORTER is described as the son of "Wm. Porter, Jr." in a deed from Nicholas AMOS to him.

A deed in 1683 to John PORTER, aged 18, son of William Sr., is probably actually William II. This William probably died ca 1692.

An older William PORTER was in 1679 titheables; probably born ca 1613. In 1683 he is described as age 70 years, and is released from paying taxes.

Possible DOD 1747 or after 30 Oct 1738

From Henrico Co., VA Wills:
Page 349
Inventory of William Porter, 21 Jun 1747; Value £28/10/9; by John Poval, Humphry Smith, John Hales, John Porter presented inventory and it is recorded March 1747.

Page 9
Accounts of estate of William Porter. Thomas Jolsey exhibited the accounts April 1750.

From "Porter Family Henrico County, VA Records" compiled by Mrs. Margaret Scruggs Carruth:
MAY apply to this William Porter:
1724: Wm. Porter, Henrico County, to sons, Thomas and John, land on the Western Run of Turkey Island Creek
1736: 05 April: deed from John Lewis to Joseph Lewis for 100 acres, Henrico County, near Western Run of Turkey Island Creek, near land of Wm. Porter, Jr., which land was bought by John Lewis from Wm. Porter
1736: William Porter witness to will of Benj. Hopson
1747: Inventory of William Porter, deceased, filed by widow, Jane Porter.
1753: Jane Porter, witness to will of Ed East, dated 1753

Notes for Mary Kemp:
Daughter of Thomas Kemp a resident of Gloucester Co., VA

Notes for Jane Unknown:
From "Porter Family Henrico County, VA Records" compiled by Mrs. Margaret Scruggs Carruth:
1753: Jane Porter, witness to will of Ed East, dated 1753

Children of William Porter and Mary Kemp are:
+ 2 i. William5 Porter IV, born Bef. 1710; died Bet. 1750 - 1751 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable).
+ 3 ii. Thomas Porter, died 1767 in Cumberland Co., VA.

Children of William Porter and Margaret Goode? are:
+ 4 i. John5 Porter.

5 ii. Sara Porter.

Notes for Sara Porter:
Godmother in 1734 to ??? Sallee

Generation No. 2

2. William5 Porter IV (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1) was born Bef. 1710, and died Bet. 1750 - 1751 in Henrico Co., VA (Probable). He married Hannah or Anne Povall?.

Notes for William Porter IV:
Will of William Porter; Henrico Co., VA Records, Vol. 67, page 27;
To daughter Jane Porter, all my land in Henrico Co. & items
To daughter Sarah Porter, slaves, etc.
To daughter Tabbith Porter, negroes
To daughters Ann Pleasants, Susanna Layne, Eliza. Pleasants, Amey Carter and Mary Hamblet £12:10 to be equally divided among them.
To wife Hannah for widowhood, rest of estate and then divided among the children.
Executors: wife and my brother, Thomas Porter.
Dated 26 Jun 1750
Witnesses; John Povall, Joseph Royall, John Warrener.
Recorded 1st Monday in Oct. 1750

Henrico Co., VA Records, Vol. 1750-67, page 55:
June 1751; John Povall an appriaser of the estate of William Porter

**Henrico Co., VA Records Vol. 1744-48, pp. 249; John Povall an appraiser of the estate of William Porter, dec,d. on January 2, 1747. (Must be ANOTHER William Porter)**

IT IS POSSIBLE THERE WERE AT LEAST THREE WILLIAM PORTERS, Sr., Jr., and the third....maybe more, through sons with other names of these who named THEIR sons William

Children listed by another source:
Amey m. Povall Carter
Jane
Sarah
Tabith(a)
Ann m. Richard Pleasants
Susanna m. UNK Layne
Elizabeth m. UNK Pleasants
Mary m. Morris Hamlett

Relevant deeds to the area and families:
Edward Pleasants Valentine Papers:
Pleasants, Henrico Co., VA 1025:
John Pleasants of Curles in Henrico Co deeds to John Povall, Jr. for 150 pounds, 100 acres at a place called Malborn Hills in Henrico being the same tract purchased by the Pleasants from Jon. Watkins the son of Henry on 11 Oct 1737-recorded in Henrico. Also 100 acres being the tract of land purchased by the Pleasants from Joseph Woodson of Curles, bounded by the property of Wm. Porter, Benjamin Porter, "Brackett and John Povall, Jr.", 05 Dec 1748, Vol 1748-50, page 55

A deed of 1745 was to John Redford, Jr to William Parker on both sides of
Four Mile Creek. The one half of the land and one half the mill was
given by John Pleasants to his sons John and Joseph Pleasants. Joseph
apparently sold his half to James Powell Cocke who sold it to Redford.
It was witnessed by William Porter, Jr., Ame (+) Carters, James Powell
Cocke.

Notes for Hannah or Anne Povall?:
Margaret or Hannah? Source for Hannah is

Children of William Porter and Hannah Povall? are:

6 i. Anne6 Porter. She married Richard Pleasants, Sr. Abt. 1735 in Henrico Co., VA.

7 ii. Susanna Porter. She married Unknown Layne.

8 iii. Elizabeth Porter. She married Thomas Pleasants.

9 iv. Amey Porter, died Abt. 1800 in Prince Edward Co., VA. She married Povall Carter.

10 v. Mary Porter. She married Morris Hamblet.

11 vi. William? Porter, Jr.. He married Rebecca Burner.

12 vii. Jane Porter.

13 viii. Sarah Porter.

14 ix. Tabbith Porter.

3. Thomas5 Porter (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1) died 1767 in Cumberland Co., VA. He married Elizabeth Dutoit, daughter of Pierre Dutoit and Barbara Bonnet?.

Notes for Thomas Porter:
Of Henrico, Goochalnd and Cumberland Counties in VA; Captain of militia in 1747; vestryman in King William Parish in 1750

1724: From Wm. Porter, Henrico County to sons Thomas & John (Thomas Porter died in Cumberland County)
1731: 15 Feb: deed of William Landadne and wife Hester nee Hester Jones to Thomas Porter, both of Goochland
1748: deed from James Cocke and Magdalen his wife to Thomas Porter, 138 acres on Intown? Creek. Deed Book 5, page 543
1752: Will of Isaac Dutoy, Virginia State Library, Cumberland County; Will, 26 Nov 1750; filed March 1752; names nephews Dutoy Porter, son of Thomas Porter, John Porter, Peter? Dutoy and Elizabeth Branch, daughter of Thos. Porter; sister Mary Aim Goss; Exec. Thos. Porter (this is confusing)

Will of Thomas Porter; Virginia State Library; Cumberland County; 15 Apr 1765; recorded 27 Apr 1767; names wife Elizabeth, sons John, William, Isaac; daughters, Elizabeth Branch and Sarah Hatcher (Albemarle County), Ann

Notes for Elizabeth Dutoit:
15 Apr 1772; recorded 22 Jun 1772; will of Elizabeth Porter; names sons Joh, William and Isaac; daughter m. Guerrant? information not clear.

Children of Thomas Porter and Elizabeth Dutoit are:

15 i. Ann6 Porter. She married (1) Joseph Lewis. She married (2) Charles Sampson.

16 ii. Barbara Porter.

17 iii. John Porter. He married Sarah Watkins.

18 iv. Thomas Porter, died Abt. 1797 in Powhatan Co., VA.

19 v. William Porter, born 04 March 1729/30.

20 vi. Elizabeth Porter, born 26 March 1732. She married Daniel Branch, Sr..

21 vii. Dutoy Porter, born 17 February 1737/38. He married Unknown.

22 viii. William Porter, Second, born 27 September 1740; died 1775. He married Magdeline Chastain.

23 ix. Sarah Porter, born 07 February 1742/43. She married Thomas Hatcher.

24 x. Isaac Porter, born Abt. 1750; died 1786. He married Unknown.

25 xi. Marie or Mary Porter, born 25 December 1751. She married Daniel Guerrant.

4. John5 Porter (William4, William3, William2, Unknown1). He married Marie Unknown.

Notes for John Porter:
Of Henrico Co., VA and later of Manakin Town Settlement

Notes for Marie Unknown:
Probably daughter of one of the French Huguenots in Manakin Town

Children of John Porter and Marie Unknown are:

26 i. Elizabeth6 Porter, born 20 May 1736. She married John Guerrant Abt. 1770.

Notes for John Guerrant:
John of "Ceres"; Lt. Gove of VA
May have also had Daniel, Jane and Anne

27 ii. Maria Porter, born 30 March 1738. She married John Barnes? Abt. 1755.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic