Search for content in message boards

John PURVIS/Elizabeth LOVETT (M: 1819, Madison, Alabama)

John PURVIS/Elizabeth LOVETT (M: 1819, Madison, Alabama)

Barney Byron Purvis, III (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2000 3:30PM GMT
Looking for the birthdates and parents of these two people. They are my GGGG-Grandparents. Married in Madison, Alabama in 1819. They had 2 sons that I know of. "James Morgan" and "Melville" Purvis.

James Morgan (B:1826) married Mary Anne Parker (B: 1827). Their son was Benjamin Franklin Purvis, my GGG-Grandfather.

Thanks in advance for any info!
-Byron

Barny Purvis

Posted: 27 May 2000 8:23AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:10AM GMT
Hi Byron; I was checking my mother's Bible and noticed that my GreatGrandfather's name was Barny Purvis. I don't have birth or death dates but he was married to Pollie (maiden name not known)Purvis. One of their children was my Grandfather John Benjamin Purvis born 11-22-1872 and died in 1944. He was married to Winnie Lee Nora Helms Purvis who was born 1-22-1876 and died in 1948. Her parents (my Greatgrandparents )were Barbara Nell Helms and John Helms. My Father was Rev. John Collie Purvis born 1-11-1911 and died in 1984. He was born and raised in Southeast Alabama ( Enterprise, Sampson, Geneva, Coffee Springs; Coffee, Heny, Houston Counties). I was born in Enterprise in 1947 and grew up in Dothan, Ala. After 21 years in the Navy I retired in N.C. Would love to hear from you to see if we can share info and possibly share an ancestor.

Barny Purvis

Posted: 30 May 2000 8:57AM GMT
Hi Johnny,

I've scanned through my charts and I don't see any
direct relationship. There we quite a few Purvis/Purves families
from Scotland/England/Wales pre 1800's. You may be decended from a
different ancestor. I'll look over what I have in my records more
thoroughly to make sure though. Email me directly if you find out anything else.

Happy hunting!
-Byron

Found John's Birthyear - Still need date

Posted: 30 May 2000 9:04AM GMT
I found out that John is a "John Jr."
He was born 1777, to: Col. John Purves and Eliza Ann Pritchard.

Col. John was born abt. 1746 somewhere in Scotland, and came to
Charleston, SC in 1765. Most likely a religious refugee.

I still do not have an exact birthdate for either Col. John or his son, John Jr.
I also can't find birthdates for thier wives, Elizabeth Lovett, John Jr.'s wife, or Eliza Ann Pritchard, Col. John's wife.

Thanks for any help!
-Byron

James Morgan Mary Ann Parker Purvis

Dempsey (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 2:24PM GMT
Did you know that James Morgan and Mary Ann
are buried in Pecan Cemetary in Purves, Erath
Co., TX? Mary Ann is a sister of my gg grand
father, John Wesley Parker. Have her siblings if you want them. James' siblings
include Melville, William, Alford, Elizabeth Ann, Walden, Nancy and Mary. John Elizabeth are in 1850 Scott Co., Ms. census
as is James Morgan and Alford or Alfred.
Makes us distant cousins. Dempsey

RE: James Morgan Mary Ann Parker Purvis

Posted: 24 Jul 2000 1:02PM GMT
Hi Cousin!
Yeah, I think I do have that written down somewhere
in my notes. I have a GEDCOM file if you would like
to swap information. I'd love to find out more about
the Parkers!
Thanks for getting in touch with me,
-Byron

James M. Nancy Purvis

Posted: 7 Aug 2000 9:17AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 2:48PM GMT
Do have the children of James and Nancy? I am looking for the parents of George H. Purvis born 1815 TN. married Elizabeth Scott. George had a brother, John P. Purvis born 1825. Need help.
Susan

Reply to Susan

Dempsey (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2000 9:01AM GMT
James Morgan Purvis' wife was Mary Ann, not
Nancy. He was born in 1826 and she in 1828,
so they could not be the parents of George
and John P. Neither are George and John on
the list of James' brothers sisters. Also the 1850 Scott Co., Ms. census gives
James' birthplace as N.C. Sorry I couldn't
help.

John Purves and Elizabeth Lovett

Posted: 3 Jan 2001 10:04PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2004 5:04AM GMT
I am descendant from John Purves and Elizabeth Lovett's son THOMAS MELVILLE PURVIS. The children of John and Elizabeth are: Sallie, Thomas Melville b 1820, John b 1821, William Washington b 1823, James Morgan b 1826, Alford Marion b 1828, Nancy b 1829, Mary b 1830, Elizabeth Ann b 1833 and Walden Lewus Purves b 1835.

My family is from Thomas Melville Purvis and Dolly Abney from Marion/ Lamar County, Ms. The town of Purvis, Ms is named for this son.

Always looking for Purves/Purvis cousins.
Phyllis

Re: James Morgan Mary Ann Parker Purvis

Glenn (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2001 12:01AM GMT
Mary Ann Parker and James Mogan Purvis are my GGG-Grandparents. Their son, James Bruce Purvis and Nancy Amanda Turney are my GG-Grandparents. Their daughter, Laura Belzora Purvis and Alfred Alexander Chapman are my G-Grandparents. I cannot find any info on Mary Ann's parents other than, they were John Parker and Morning Star. Laura Belzora used to say she was related to Quanah Parker. I am trying to verify this. Can you help? Thanks, Glenn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic