Search for content in message boards

Question about National Probate Calendar entry

Question about National Probate Calendar entry

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2011 5:15PM GMT
Hi.

I have a found an entry for Alexander Edward Gardiner in the Probate database, and I came across a phrase that got me wondering.

The entry for 18 June 1875 has this phrase:

"Effects under £3000 in the United Kingdom."

Can anyone throw any light at to the implication of that statement? Or where I can go to find out more information on the will?

To me it would seem he may have had interests or investments outside the UK. If that is so then it could be one explaination as to why he is missing from the most census records (damaged or lost records being the another) .

Usually most entries say "Effects under £xxx".

Re: Question about National Probate Calendar entry

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 5:17PM GMT
I think your theory may well be correct, and this chap had assets elsewhere. To get a copy of the will, your best bet is to get yourself to the Probate Office in London, or one of the other probate registries around the country. If you can't, then you can send off for a copy, but the postal applications department has been absolutely snowed under since Ancestry put the Calendars online, so they are taking an age to deal with requests. Full information can be found at www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 9:45PM GMT
Thank you such a prompt reply. I'll get on to ordering the will and death certificate too and see what they throw up.

I already have his daughters birth certificate from 1855. But I can't find the address in the 51 or 61 census so they may be missing. I can find the address named in the probate record which was occupied by his executors, his half sister's husband and his half brother.

So the picture of Alexander's life is building up. Maybe I can find enough information to track down his marriage to Isabella Marian Keane/Keene.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 6:45AM GMT
I had a look at the Probate Calendar entry - should have done that earlier! - and noticed that Alexander is "domiciled in England". The fact that this is specifically referred to in the Probate entry suggests to me that there must have been some reason to doubt his legal domicile, for instance because he had chosen to live overseas for some period.

An address being missing in one census year is a misfortune, but in two consecutive years looks like carelessness (to paraphrase Oscar Wilde). Have you used the street indices at http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=... to look for it?

Hope this helps

Caroline

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 9 Apr 2011 1:34PM GMT
Hi,
Have you found Alexander on the 1871 census with his 2 daughters?, he is a widower and his occupation draper.The girls were born in Croydon Surrey.Also he was born in Woolwich and his father was a baker.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 9:08PM GMT
Hi Sandra.

Thanks for taking the time to check things for me. Yes I do have the 4 Willow Terrace, Woodland Road, Surrey. It is the only entry I have found for Alexander and his girls as a family.

The only problem I have is that my 2 x gt grandmother Anne Jane Gardiner is not there. She was old enough to be off in service, working away or with relatives. But as the oldest child (16) to a widowed father you would imagine she would have been needed at home to look after the younger girls.

Now I do have Alexander's parents as Peter Gardiner and Ann Brewster neé Allen. They're are in London parish records on Ancestry and Peter was a Baker. His half sister Mary Ann Brewster's husband Ellis Evans is one of the executors, and the two younger girls are living with them in the 1881 census in Finchley. William is his half brother at was registered as William James Brewster and lived at 19 Raglan Street.

Dave

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 9:37AM GMT
Hi,
What do you know about Ann Jane Gardiner??

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 10:53AM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2011 11:02AM GMT
Hi,

I ordered my Great Grandfather's Will form the York Probate Office earlier this year - they reckon to take 21 working days - and yes, it turned up on the 21st day. Considering it only cost £5. though, we thought it was a very good service - and we were very excited with the Will when it arrived.

Good luck with your hunt!

Liz

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: GARDINER
Hi Sandra.

I have almost everything except her 1861 and 1871 census entries. I have certificates for her birth (1855) and first marriage (1877). I've located two other marriages and death.

There is this period between 1851 and 1871 where I seem to lose some or all the family. Her dad was a draper's journeyman/traveller so may be moving a bout but the girls all seem to be born in Norwood.

The 61 and 51 census seems to be missing a few areas around Norwood or possible transcription errors may be clouding the searches. I've tried working through them page by page but have not found anything. This leaves me without any information on Anne Jane's mother other than her death in the indexes and the entry on Ann's.

I need a few more certificates but as I'm out of work I can't spend too much on them so I'm limited in how many I can get and I want to get her dad's will this period.

I keep having a run through every couple of months, the old fresh eyes technique and new ideas to try. I'm picking up loads about their cousins but not themselves. I had hoped I would find them there but not until they are much older after their dad had died (1875). They lived in area of the Crystal Palace which was being developed during this time, so a lot of new poperities to move into.

Dave

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 9:29AM GMT
Marriage found, thanks to FamilySearch. 20 April 1852, at St Paul's Dublin, Alexander Edward GARDINER, son of Peter GARDINER, married Isabella Marian KEANE, son of William KEENE (sic).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic