Search for content in message boards

Younker\Yunker\Schweigler

Younker\Yunker\Schweigler

Posted: 1344795850000
Classification: Query
CHRISTIAN YOUNKER, b. Abt. 1855 (Alsace, Germany), d. 18 Mar 1900 (Fremont, Sandusky, Ohio), Marriage: 1880, MARIA MAGDALENA SCHWEIGLER, b. Abt. 1860 (Departed Bremerhaven, Germany in 1880), d. Abt. 1925 (Ohio, United States)
Query posted 9/11/2011
Looking for related family members.

Re: Younker\Yunker\Schweigler

Posted: 1470789172000
Believe Christian was related to my great grandfather LOUIS YUNCKER b. 1858 Alsace d. 1905 Kansas. They immigrated in 1872. I have some Yuncker/Younker/Yunker information and some on his wife MARIA. Please let me know if you are still researching or would like to share. Thanks!

Posted: 1472512702000
Surnames: Younker\Yunker\Schweigler
After a few years hiatus for family and employment, I am getting back into my genealogy. Yes, I would be interested in sharing.

Dave Place

Posted: 1472611580000
I don't know if I have anything new for you, but this is what I have so far on Christian and Maria:
1880 Rice, Sanducky, OH
P. 14. Jacob Smith family,
Christian Yunker/servant/26/Lorraine/Lorraine/Lorraine/farm laborer

P. 12 Mathias Leatherman family,
Magdalena Swigler/20/ boarder/servant/Baden/Baden/Baden

Marriage: Sandusky Co, OH. 5 Aug 1880. Christian Yunker & Maria M. Schweigle

Children:
Stella E Younger b 4 Feb 1881 Fremont, Clay Twp, Sandusky, OH
Mary Etna b 4 Dec 1886 Clay Twp, Sandusky, OH
William Frederick b 21 Dec 1890 Fremont, Sandusky, OH
Harry Ludwig b 20 June 1894

Children identified in Christian's probate (18 Mar 1900):
Marie E Yunker dau
William Yunker son
Harry Yunker son

1900 Fremont, Sandusky, OH
Younger, Leaney/head/40/wd/bJuly 1859/5 born 4 liv/Germany/Ger/Ger/Imm 1866/ 34 y in U.S.
------ Marry/dau/?Sep 1887/12/OH/Ger/Ger
------ William/son/Dec 1890/9/OH/Ger/Ger
------ Harry/son/June 1895/5/OH/Ger/Ger

Marriage 17 Apr 1907 Sandusky OH John Dietrich & Lena Yunger
Lena b 1860 Germany. Father Jacob Swangler Mother Katherine Leatherman
John's residence listed as Old Fort, Seneca co, OH

Oakwood Cemetery, Fremont, OH
Christian Younger. 1849-1900
Magdelena, his wife, 1859-1844

I have several newspaper articles regarding the death of Christian Yunker in March 1900. No parents were mentioned, nor were his wife and children named.

I do believe Christian Yunker is the Christian listed with my grgrandfather on this ship passenger list:
Ship Calabria, arr NY 5 Oct 1872
Sophia Junker/42/f/matron/Germany
Adam Junker/22/m/weaver/Germany
Ludwig Junker/16/m/labr/Germany (Louis in America, my line)
Sophia Junker/13/f/servant/Germany
Christian Junker/15/m/servant/Germany
Heinrich Junker/11/m/child/Germany
Christina Junker/15/f/child/Germany
Jacob Junker/6/m/child/Germany
Julia Junker/3 mo/infant/Germany

The Yunker clan has been difficult for me. I have nothing identifying Christian or Louis's parents. I have identified some family ties through location, mentions of niece, nephew, some naturalization and guardianship records. I'm even sure of the exact relationship of the Junkers on the passenger list. I found Christian's children married and living in Michigan in later years.

I can do have more on the Yunkers if you want it. Louis and Henry (Heinrich) ended up in Kansas. Adam (John Adam) was also in Kansas around 1900 but returned to Ottawa Co, OH in later years. Christina married John Balduf and lived in Ingham Co, MI. Jacob lived in Ottawa Co, OH for most of his life.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanks, Tracy

Posted: 1472934413000
Tracy,

Got your email and I will be reviewing the information. Some is familiar and some is new.

In reference to the news articles, I say one that stated that he died falling off a bridge while drunk. Unfortunately I never requested that copy. I would like to see the articles you have, if you do not mind sharing them.

Thanks, Dave

Posted: 1473127386000
Dave,
First, I made an error typing the ship passenger list: Christina Junker was age 8, not 15. Sorry about that.

I have several articles regarding Christian's death. Alcohol may have been involved but they were also repairing the bridge at the time. Interesting reading. The inquest held in May 1900 found no foul play and held the persons repairing the bridge at fault. I also have the probate records for Christian. It looks like Lena sued for damages and received compensation in 1904.

I would be more than happy to share anything I have on Christian. I just requested the naturalization papers for from the Rutherford library and expect them soon.

I wasn't sure about putting email addresses here and don't have a subscription to ancestry, but I can scan the articles for you, or copy and mail them. Maybe you can guide me in how we can do this?

Do you have any idea about Christian's parents or siblings?

Thanks, Tracy

Posted: 1473795999000
Tracy,

My email address is daplace1949@gmail.com.

The family name Younker was changed to Yunker in 1920 with the birth of my aunt Doris. Why? I do not know at this point. In my research I can follow the line to Christian, beyond that I have not been successful. Without a Germen intermediator, further research is at a road block for me.

Siblings include Edna M., William F. (whom I descend from), and Harry L.

Have you performed a DNA test that we can compare? It would be interesting to see the amount of similarities.

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic