Search for content in message boards

Wilson Family of New Meadows, Idaho

Wilson Family of New Meadows, Idaho

Danette Cogswell (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2005 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Simpson
Searching for any information on John A Wilson married Margaret Simpson. There son James A. Wilson "Dick" married Marie. John A Wilson and Margaret Simpson came from Scotland in about the 1876 and has a ranch of which the family still lives on by the New Meadows Cemetery. Unable to find out any info beyond John A Wilson, Margaret Simpson or Marie. I know this family is all buried in New Meadows, any info would be appreciated.

Re: Wilson Family of New Meadows, Idaho

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 4:52AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Wilson, Simpson
Do you have census records for those you are seeking? Do you only want to know about James or also their other children?

John A and Mrgaret:
Groom Last Name: WILSON
Groom First Name: John A.
Groom Residence:
Bride Last Name: SIMPSON
Bride First Name: Margaret
Bride Residence:
Place: Meadows
Date: 23 Jul 1887
County of Record: Washington
State: Idaho
Volume: 1
Page: 114

Reards,
Eellitta

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 6:17PM GMT
I'm searching for any information on the father or the mother of John A. Wilson

John A. was born 07 Jun 1851 in Aberdeen, Scotland
died 08 Dec 1932 New Meadows, Idaho

I know John's mother was buried in New Meadows, her name is
Margaret Skinner born abt 1830 in Scotland. There are no dates on her headstone

I have census records on John A. Wilson in the United States.

John A. Wilson is my step brother's great grandfather. I've spoken with my step brother's aunt. She told me the story of her grandfather. Apprently his father died when John was a young man. John then moved to London and came over on a ship and moved west to Idaho on a covered wagaon. He worked in the mines to save money. John then went back to Scotland and gathered his mother and his sister and brought them back to Idaho with him. John then moved to the New Meadows area. John then again went back to Scotland and got his fiance (Margaret Simpson) and then where married in Idaho. The family still has the ranch in New Meadows.

John's sister is Elizabeth Wilson (she married James M. Hutchinson) she was born 08 Mar 1863 in Scotland. Died 21 Sep 1952 and is buried in Payette, Idaho.

At this point I'm not sure what John's father's first name is. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks so much for the reply
Danette

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 6:21AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Wilson, Hutchinson
I found an Elizabeth Wilson living with her daughter Elizabeth Hutchinson and her husband James in the 1900 census for Payette Precinct, Canyon Couty, Idaho. It states that Elizabeth Wilson is the Mother-in-law. She was born June of 1832. She immigrated in 1883 and has been living in the United States for 17 years.

She is still living with her daughter(Betsy who is now a widow)in Payette Idaho in the 1910 census.

I found an announcement of the death of Elizabeth Wilson in the following newspaper:

Idaho Statesman
December 1, 1919
page 4
PAYETTE

Elizabeth Wilson, born in Aberdeen, Scotland, died in Payette, November 16, in her 83rd year.

I found a death certificate number for an Elizabeth Wilson:
WILSON, ELIZABETH
PAYETTE
01/99/1833 - 11/15/1919

Maybe if you contact the following, they might help you to get a copy of the death certificate.
The Library staff will do research and lookups.
They can be contacted at:

IDAHO STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES
450 N. 4th Street
Boise, ID 83702-6027
Tel: 208-334-3356 or 208-334-3357
Fax: 208-334-3198
http://www.idahohistory.net/

I also found an obituary for James Hutchinson. I will post it seperately, just in case you don't have it.
Eellitta
russetred@msn.com

James Hutchinson d. Feb. 4, 1907 obit

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Hutchinson
Hi Danette,

I found a newspaper article in the Idaho Statesman dated Nov.4, 1905 mentioning James Hutchinson from Payette was serving on the Payette School Board.

Here is his death announcement:
Date: Feb. 5, 1907
Paper: Idaho Statesman

PAYETTE PIONEER DIES IN BAKER HOSPITAL

Payette, Feb. 4 - James Hutchinson, a pioneer of Payette, died today in the hospital at Baker City, where he was taken a few days ago to be operated on for intestinal obstruction. The remains will be brought here for interment.

Mr. Hutchinson was superintendent of the lower Payette ditch, and had a gang of men at work near Falk’s store when stricken. He was brought here and hurried to the hospital at Baker, where he was operated upon yesterday.

Deceased was a pioneer of this section, coming to the Payette valley in 1883. He was born in Scotland, but came to the United States when quite a young man. He was about 60 years of age and leaves a wife and six children, three boys and three girls.

Mr. Hutchinson was a member of the order of Odd Fellows and was one of the best known and highly respected citizens of this section. Four years ago he was elected county treasurer and served one term. No arrangements for the funeral have been

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 7:26AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Wilson, Skinner
I found a site for searching Scotland parish records through Familysearch.org.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis...

I had to keep clicking on Wilson surnames until I found a hit. I found that Mary Skinner married John Wilson June 11, 1850 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record...=

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles

JOHN WILSON Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s
Marriages:
Spouse: MARY SKINNER Family
Marriage: 11 JUN 1850 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Batch No.: M111687
Dates:1850 - 1865
Source Call No.:0304659
Type: Film
Printout Call No.: 6902153
Type: Film

I hope this new information gets you on the track to finding out more about John Wilson. It looks like Mary went by Elizabeth as well as Margaret.
Eellitta

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 6:38PM GMT
Thank you so much for all your information. I'll check further on the marriage to see if I can find a link.
Very helpful info on Mr Hutchinson as well.

thanks again
per page

Find a board about a specific topic