Search for content in message boards

Canadian French vs. English

Canadian French vs. English

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells
I was wondering if someone would help clarify what the difference is between Canadian French and Canadian English, does the French just mean they were from Quebec??? Unfortunately, I am not that well educated in Canadian history, was Quebec running under a different Parliament? In other words, would I have to look else where to research family from Quebec in the 1880's.

Regards

Re: Canadian French vs. English

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 1:44AM GMT
Canada-French in a US Census generally meant Quebec, but could also have meant being Canadian of French descent. Canada-English generally meant Ontario, but again, could also have meant being Canadian of English descent. In the 1880s, the provinces were already joined together in the Dominion of Canada; however, each province has always had responsibility for its own vital statistics. In Quebec, until quite recently, this responsibility was borne by the church vs. the civil authorities.

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 1:21PM GMT
I'm not sure what you mean by elsewhere, but you'll find records for Quebec on Ancestry in the Drouin collection. Some are also available on FamilySearch but they're not indexed.

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 8:16PM GMT
From what I understand is that the French came obver from France and established what they called New France in Quebec
Hope this helps.

Sharon

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 9:45PM GMT
Canadian French can also mean Acadia, those who came from France settling in what is today New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia being two of the provinces which formed Canada on 1 July 1867.

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 11:13PM GMT
One tool I find useful is wikipedia. Generally I can put a place name in it and find out it's history. That way I know what jurisdiction governed the area (England, France, Canada) based on the date I am looking for.

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 4:49AM GMT
Do not assume that Canadian French means that they are from Quebec. I had ancestors both born in Ontario that label themselves as Canadian French and Canadian English. Canadian French means that they are french speaking or french ancestory. Eventually, you will probably find their ancestors in Quebec, because that was the majority for French speaking Canadians. Canadian English means that their ancestors are from the United Kingdom including Ireland. They do not speak French. Also, Canadian French, are mostly like Catholic. Canadian English are probably not...as a general rule. Our Irish ancestors are probably Catholic. This is a general rule and can aid you. I would not guarantee this.

I have a Canadian French ancestor that was a non-practicing Catholic because he married a Canadian English or Methodist. He still lables himselve as a Canadian French.

Read the title where this information is documented and it might make it clearer what is documented. I have seen other nationality with a language after it in other offical documents with in the USA. Like Czech-German; Czech-Bohemen;

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 7:09PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2012 2:24PM GMT
This is kind of confusing, isn't it? My family line descends from a man that went to New France/Canada from France. However, my grandfather, a very French man if there ever was one, had British Citizenship when he signed up to serve in WWI, even though he was from Trois Riviere, just south of Ville de Quebec. He was naturalized sometime shortly after that, in 1917 or so. Quebec was settled originally by the French but there were areas closer to the eastern part of Canada that was settled by the British when they came in the mid 1750's and then after the 7 Years war ended the Treaty of Paris was signed. The British also drove out many people from eastern Canada during the war in what was called the Great Expulsion. However, New France was then all a British colony, French speaking or not. Anyway, I thought it would say "Canadian" not "British" on my g's paperwork when he enlised in 1916 or 1917.

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 6:12PM GMT
From Wikipedia:

The status of "Canadian citizen" was originally created under the Immigration Act, 1910,to designate those British subjects who were born, naturalized or domiciled in Canada.

So, altho' born as a British subject prior to 1910, upon the passing of the Immigration Act in 1910, he would have become a Canadian citizen.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 12:46PM GMT
That's so weird. He was in the US before that, living in Rhode Island. Very strange, but thanks for posting that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic