Search for content in message boards

HOWIE Family, Robert, Ernest, Ira of WA County

HOWIE Family, Robert, Ernest, Ira of WA County

Posted: 1465332362000
Classification: Query
Surnames: HOWIE, COEN
Robert went to Alaska, married and moved his wife & daughter Gertrude to Everett WA. Brothers Ernest & Ira followed. Robert and wife Olivia died in 1920. Daughter became an RN, married Ray Coen, divorced and moved to CA with her son.
I am related to Olivia and cannot find out what happened to daughter Gertrude. She may have become an airline stewardess back in the days when only RN's were hired. Any clues?

Re: HOWIE Family, Robert, Ernest, Ira of WA County

Posted: 1467853206000
Surnames: Coen
Hi,
Raymond Robert Coen
Born: abt. 1924
Father: Reynold Woeber Coen
Mother: Gertrude Van Howie
Married: 27 March 1948, Los Angeles Co., CA
Hazel Geraldine Shelton
Born: abt. 1923
Father: James P. Shelton
Mother: Laura E. Hamler
Source: CA County Marriages 1850-1952

I didn't find any additional info about Gertrude or Raymond. I assume that Gertrude re-married. Also I assume they both are deceased now but I didn't find any proof.

You might be able to find more info about them in the Los Angeles City/County Directories. You might find them online or contact the Los Angeles Genealogical Society. Successful Searching!

Posted: 1467901687000
Hi,

I believe this death record to be her. I think the middle initial "H" stands for her maiden Howie and the POB matches. All the censuses where taken before May making it seem like she was born in 1901, instead of 1900.

*California Death Index
Name Gertrude H Smith
Event Type Death
Event Date 19 Nov 1968
Event Place Los Angeles, California, United States
Birth Date 19 May 1900
Birthplace Alaska
Gender Female

====================
If you look at her marriage return to Ray Coen in October 1922, she states she turned 22 at her last birthday, which indicates she was born in 1900. If you look closely under her age of "twenty-two" in smaller print is the date " May 19".
I assume this to be her actual month and day of birth, which also matches what was on the CA death record for her DOB.

http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/DigitalObject/View/CA82D37...

Posted: 1467927254000
You found this for me before but when I tried to do research on her I could only find a black woman from ALABAMA on the SSDI. Transcribers and genealogists are always mixing up Alaska, Alabama and Arkansas.
In examining the WA marriage I found errors made by the minister. No birthdate was requested for the bride but he wote it down anyhow. His writing was very fancy and his "y" may have turned "0" into a 9. He also filled out the portion that asks for the signatures of the witnesses. He wrote 1901 as dob but gave her age as 22. The groom's info is nothing like the man who lived and died in HI, including his parents' info.
Ray and Gertrude reunited in LA in the 40's and then he went to HI. She was on a plane from there in 1949 to her home in Eagle Rock CA and that is the last I have found of her. Do you know if CA has info available on licenses for RN's.?
Gertrude's favorite cousin lived in ID and CO but I have not found any ssdi info for Gertrude in either of those states or that of WA. One would think that this would be easy but I am finding that nothing is as it seems.

Posted: 1469833485000
Thanks. Somehow I had overlooked this from you. This is very weird. Father was Raymond. Mother was Gertrude UNA, not Van Howie. I feel that this family has been the victim of the dreaded transcribers. I have seen both Ray Sr and Ray Jr listed as females in various city directories in Ca and Hi. I also feel that Gertrude was born in May 10 1900. Doesn't matter. No records for that date except for a Woods in Oregon but her death data is very scarce.

Posted: 1506560977000
If anyone in the Howie family is interested, the post of Gertrude's death in CA has been verified and a 2nd marriage was found. Her only child Raymond died in a traffic accident and is buried in Forest Lawn in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, her 2nd dh died while she was out of town. She went to work at a hospital until she died. I have an early photo of Gertrude taken in Alaska about the time she moved to Everett WA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic