Search for content in message boards

Enoch and Rachael Melson

Enoch and Rachael Melson

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Melson, Chinault, Chenault, Aldridge
I am seeking any information on a Enoch and Rachael Melson. From an 1850 Alabama Census it lists both of them being bornin North Carolina. Below is the information I have listed for both of them:

Enoch Melson
B: 1797 in NC; D: 1860 in Lawrence Cty, AL
Rachael (no maiden name listed) B: 1802 in NC; D: 1859 in AL

I think they were married sometime around 1823 as my (3) Great Grandfather William Melson was born in 1823 in AL.

I am not sure if they were married in AL or NC, but they were both born in NC and have children listed on the 1850 census as being born in AL and TN.

I need help trying to figure out who Rachael came from since her maiden name is not listed and I can't find any records of her aside from this 1850 AL Census. I do know that Enoch also married a Jane C. Chinault who has also been listed at Jane C. Chenault or Jane C. Aldridge. My side comes from the union of Enoch and Rachael whom he married before he married Jane.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Enoch and Rachael Melson

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 3:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
First, census information as far as where people were born can be incorrect. I would start where she died, did she leave a will, even back then there were wills by women. Even death notices in newspapers sometimes might mention parents or siblings and sometimes church notices mentioned deaths. Look for baptism records, relatives were witnesses, same thing with burials, I have been able to find maiden names by the location of burials in cemeteries. It might even be worth checking out neighbors of Enoch's in the 1850 census, families moved together.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic