Search for content in message boards

French Military Photo 1915 Dordogune

French Military Photo 1915 Dordogune

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have found a photo in my relatives collection, and thought someone may have relatives in this photo. There is also a letter on the back. Will attach a blown up version of the letter as the writting is very small, but from what my husband says, with his limited French knowledge it is quite interesting regarding the movements of troops etc.

Attachments:

Re: French Military Photo 1915 Dordogune

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 4:46PM GMT
Hi Sarah:

What a good idea it is of you to post this photo and the letter. The letter was most interesting to read as it has names of cities and departments in France and first names of people. Can you tell me what the last name of the writer is? Is it lisible?

Sincerely,

Lucie

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Military
Hi Lucie

The name is Eugiene, I have isolated and blown up the name, so you can see for yourself.

Regards Sarah
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 5:31PM GMT
Hi Sarah:

His signature looks like Eugene DECROI - I can't make out for sure the last name - maybe DECROIS ou DECROIX.

I am going to do a search. I am curious to know where he is from.

Will get back to you.

Thank you.

Lucie

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 7:07PM GMT
Thank you, I dont even know who it was for and how my family came about having it. It is interesting though.

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 5:58PM GMT
Hi Sarah:

The person I left a message with in Ancestry.com didn't answer me. I would like to post another message for I beleive I may have found a relative of Eugene DECROIX. I still have my doubts as to the spelling of the name DECROIX for I do not see the letter "x" ou an "s" at the end. What do you think it is? Anyway, do I have your permission to send copy of the letter? In that case, could you please send me the entire letter as you see it? As for the photo, Eugene says in his letter "carte" instead of "photo"; therefore I am wondering if the picture is just a postcard or an actual photo.

Thank you so much for your help.

Lucie

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 7:31PM GMT
No problem if u give message me your email will send the copy of the letter and the front of the postcard as it comes scanned. regards sarah, its a big ask but if you can do a translation for me into english that would be great, at least then I will know what it says lol.

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 7:38PM GMT
Hi Sarah:

Here is my email address and I am going to do the translation and enclose it in my message directly to your email. Have you looked again at his signature? Can you tell me it it's DECROI or DECROIX?

Thank you.

Lucie
luciemyers@yahoo.com

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 1:51AM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2011 2:01AM GMT
The name looks like Decroi. Everywhere he ends a sentance or word that ends in i. He or she curves the i slightly up and there is a definate space between there and whatever sign off he or she uses. It does not look like it is connected. I blew it up as big as i could get it and there is definately a cut off; but it does not sound just right. I want to put an x or an s on the end of the name. Decrois or Decroix.The first name is "Eugene" definately on my blw up of the first name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic