Search for content in message boards

William Shelton, Amarillo Texas, born 1917

William Shelton, Amarillo Texas, born 1917

Posted: 1465125023000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shelton Jackson
I am searching for the family of William Shelton born Sept 1 1917 in Amarillo Texas.
His parents were Henry Shelton and Lola Jackson. William died Nov 5 1962 in Omaha Nebraska. William had lived in Omaha for about 14 years. His death certificate has no social security number and no next of kin. Unknown whether he was or had been married. He was Afro-American. Any information about this family would be appreciated.

Re: William Shelton, Amarillo Texas, born 1917

Posted: 1465186590000
The names of his parents came from what source? Ditto for birth date and location? Was he age 48 at death per news articles? In an earlier thread you indicated relatives in Des Moines, IA?

Posted: 1465245044000
Edited: 1465246365000
Names of parents came from his death certificate. His birth date and location came from incarceration records and his death certificate. He was 48 at death. Verbal family history said he had relatives (wife and children) in Des Moines. I haven't found any records to prove or disprove this verbal family history.

Posted: 1465270227000
Did you trace death certificate informant? Who paid funeral/interment expenses? I'm asking to see if I can assist.

Posted: 1465310482000
The death certificate information was provided by county services, they also paid for the burial, the plot was provided free by the cemetery. I wrote to Omaha welfare services and was told that their records, no matter how old remain private information. I was hoping that if they provided the names of Williams parents they might have an old address or perhaps information about other family members. I have not been able to find a social security number or a draft card for William.

Posted: 1465315169000
I, too, came away empty on the draft card angle. He was too young for WWI but eligible for WWII. No military service record found. Social Security began 1936 and he expired 26 years later. Convinced he was registered either by Social Security Administration or Railroad Board?

Posted: 1465355384000
I am now wondering if perhaps he was incarcerated for a lengthy amount of time before he went to Omaha? Perhaps that would account for no draft card. I will search thru old incarceration records and see if I can find anything. I can't imagine him not having a social security #.

Posted: 1465366659000
How important is resolution of this search? I found a "wandering" uncle with less info than you've shared. After wasting tens-of-thousands of dollars and several years, I submitted what I knew about him to the Social Security Administration. The information included: names of parents, birth location, and estimated date of birth. In less than 60 days, I learned he had died less than two weeks after my father. I promptly hopped on a plane to Poplar Bluff, MO and retrieved his obit. That was $29.00 wisely invested 'cause I learned he died childless. As a career military person, I was very concerned about the possibility of incest so that was a relief. My uncle never received a SSAN but was awarded benefits. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-711.pdf You mentioned incarceration and that opens the possibility of assumed names?

Posted: 1465466358000
I think the SSA would be a good next step. I have records from two Nebraska incarcerations and neither mentions an AKA. But, records at that time weren't linked from state to state so the assumed name might be a possibility as well.

Posted: 1465490504000
Please share the resolution? I'm unnerved whenever I read an obit or attend a funeral and the deceased supposedly had no surviving relatives.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic