Search for content in message boards

Indian Tribes around Coker, Alabama and Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Indian Tribes around Coker, Alabama and Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Jeff Parker (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Armstrong
Hello,
This is my first query to post here. I was in touch with a cousin this past week who gave me alittle bit of information about my GGrandmother and her people. Her name was Amanda DeMara Parentine Armstrong. She was born August 12,1867. I have been told her fathers name was Jack Armstrong but this is not confirmed. Amanda married George Ancel Parker in Shelby County, Alabama in 1887. I have a list of all of there 13 children and lots of information about the rest of the clan but nothing about her parents. My Grandfather always said that she was Indian but was not for sure where she was raised. The couisn that I spoke with this week recalled his mother saying something about Coker, Alabama which is just west of Tuscaloosa. he said Coker was the name of the Indians that were in that area, hence the name of the town. I have never herd of the name and wanted to ask someone about it. Can anyone shed any light toward the peolpe who lived in this area? Any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff Parker

Re: Indian Tribes around Coker, Alabama and Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2001 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Coker
Hi , this is going to sound strange , but I have a picture of my families descendant , his name was Thompson H. Coker ( Thomas ) , born 1825 . He looks 90% indian .I recently obtain a claim he made after the civial war , he stated that his home was once Cokerville , which was in Monroe County Alabama . But there is not a cokervillie on early maps . he also says he had lived in Evergreen also , and his father Nathan ( Nathaniel Coker b. 1791-93 in GA. Moved to AL. after 1816 .) I would be interrested to any information on your questions you posted on Coker . Thanks Debbie

Michael Tope (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2002 11:25PM GMT
This is a long shot, but maybe you can help me. I am looking for information on Francis Coker. I don't know where she was born, but I know that she married and had children in Arkansas. I suspect that she may be of indian descent. Family history has it that she had a sister name Cynthia. Francis first married a Tope, two years later a Moore and 5 years later a man named Yarbrough. Would any of this fit into
the Coker family you are researching. We believe Francis was born about 1813. Her children were born in 1838 and 1840.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 1:43AM GMT
Sorry , I do not have thoughs names in my family line ,
I bekieve my Coker's are from N.C. , then Jackson Co. GA,, then Monroe Co. AL. , then Pensacola Fl. Sorry I could not help you.
Debbie

Wanda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2002 6:02PM GMT
This may not help but I have a great aunt that's name was Francis and she married an Archie Boyce in Arkansas.

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 12:21AM GMT
Surnames: coker/clark/parker/logan
hi I am related to addie parker she was married to willie ancel parker.Her maiden name was clark her mother was melvina skelton she married thomas william clark,her mother was hulda elizabeth coker . i was told the town was named after her dad.I was also told hulda mother was 100 % indian/
and her mother was a princess coqua bell the part about coqua bell i have not quit but to gether for sure but the rest is for sure ..I have more if you would like to talk

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: coker betsy
there is also coker creek ,where coqua bell found the gold nuggett.she married and changed her name to betsy coker

Posted: 28 Sep 2007 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Coker
Hi Debbie. I know that this is an old post, but maybe you are still on-line. I am a descendant of Thompson Coker and Mary Polly Watson Coker, thru their son Thomas Grant Coker b. 1824 , died 18 Jan 1891..don't know the place of death or burial site...would LOVE to have a copy of the photo of your Coker born 1825. TG was born in either Shelby or Coosa Co, Al. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email: milmickey2719@hotmail.com
thanks,
Mickey

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 9:39PM GMT
Jeff, George Ancel Parker's daughter, Rosa Adell Parker (McGee) was my grandmother. Check Coosa county for the Armstrongs and I am almost certain that you will find George's family there also. According to my mother, Adell was part Cherokee and the Coker name is real familiar to me.

This is a very old post so you may have already found the data that you need. PS - My mother says the Parentine name should be Barentine but I am not positive.

Posted: 27 Apr 2010 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: harvill
my great grandmother was maggie lou coker im trying to find any info on her cherokee heritage if anyone can help me please email at scarlett913@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic