Search for content in message boards

Looking for Birth Record for Augustus Willard Gilman (circa 1833)

Looking for Birth Record for Augustus Willard Gilman (circa 1833)

Posted: 1483842334000
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Gilman, Doolittle
Hello.
I am looking for a birth record for my 2G Grandfather, Augustus Willard Gilman. Census records say he was born in Middletown, CT, but I am unable to find a record of his birth on Ancestry or FirstSearch. His parents John (13 Mar 1814 - 2 Sep 1890) and Polly Doolittle (10 Oct 1812 - 28 Dec 1890) were married in Shrewsbury, VT on 21 Oct 1838 as per VR. This date is five years after Augustus' birth, so I am wondering if there might have been an original parent that died or if his birth either wasn't recorded for some reason or is in an archive outside of Ancestry and FamilySearch. I have already checked the Barbour collection in Ancestry and have come up empty.

Does anyone have any ideas about where else I may look or have an understanding of birth recording and marriage practices in 1830s Connecticut/New England?

I have attached the 1870 US census for Middletown, VT that states Augustus was born in "Conn". There may be a possibility that there is some confusion between Middletown, CT and Middletown, VT.

Thank you in advance.

Caron
Attachments:

Re: Looking for Birth Record for Augustus Willard Gilman (circa 1833)

Posted: 1486237438000
Classification: Query
Hi,
Generally speaking vital records in Connecticut are kept at the town, village or city clerk's office. However, for Middletown, they are at the Middletown Health Department, www.cityofmiddletown.com/Health. They are rarely if ever online. Successful Searching!

Re: Looking for Birth Record for Augustus Willard Gilman (circa 1833)

Posted: 1486265461000
Classification: Query
Thank you for the response, Judy!

Caron
per page

Find a board about a specific topic