Search for content in message boards

St Thomas Orphanage

St Thomas Orphanage

Posted: 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2005 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Alvey
Is anyone familiar with the St Thomas Orphanage in Nelson Co, KY. I would guess it was associated with the St Thomas Catholic Church that is located not far from downtown Bardstown. Are there any records of those that may have lived there and not adopted. In the 1900 Nelson Co, KY census, a Francis Alvey age 7 was listed as living there. Not sure of his parents but believe he later ended up in WI and his children and grandchildren are in TX. In 1910 it looks like this same Francis Alvey is living with a Smith family in Marion Co, KY.

Re: St Thomas Orphanage

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Did you ever find records from St. Thomas? I am looking into the orphanage myself. I have a few leads but anything you might have to help would be appreciated.
Peggy McConnell

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell
My great grandfather was an orphan at St. Thomas Orphanage. His name was John A. Maxwell and in the 1880 census he was around 3 years old. I want to know where I can find information on the orphanage. He lived there when it caught fire in 1889. Does anyone know if any of the records survived. I have no information on my family on that side of the family before that. Thanks!

Posted: 2 Apr 2011 8:13PM GMT
I don't know anything about the Orphanage but I will tell you that the state of Kentucky will not release any records for an orphanage until the person has been dead 50 years. I tried to get my grandmother's records and they hit me with this. It is so fustrating. I will be the ripe old age of 90 when I can get any info on her.
Peggy

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 4:22PM GMT
My great grandpa died more than 50 years ago so I am lucky that I can get the records. I want to find out who his parents were and why they sent him to the orphanage at such a young age.

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 6:00PM GMT
That is what I want. I know my Great Grandmother died in 1913 and her 4 children were sent to an orphanage. I need to know why their father didn't keep them. My grandmother was fostered to Travis and Della Davis but they never adopted her. In 1910 the entire Jones family was intact at the county Almshouse in Bardstown. That is the last place I can find them as a family.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 10:39PM GMT
I found the phone number to the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth who has the archives for St. Thomas Orphanage. Give them a call at 502-348-1500 and see what they can do for you.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 11:08PM GMT
Do you know if the St. Thomas Orphanage in Bardstown has any affiliation with the one in Louisvile at that time period? I have a letter from the Archdiocese of Louiville, Office of Catholic Charities in Louisville stating they have no record of my grandmother's family at St. Thomas, St. Vincent or Our Lady's Home for Infants.

Peggy

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 11:29PM GMT
When you call them have them check out St. Vincent for Girls which merged with St. Thomas Orphanage to find info on your grandma.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 12:01AM GMT
Thanks, I will.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic