Search for content in message boards

Ernst and Bertha (nee Seiloff) Machert Family Possibly from Köslin

Ernst and Bertha (nee Seiloff) Machert Family Possibly from Köslin

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Machert, Wolter, Seiloff
Researching my grandmother's mother, Anna Wolter (nee Machert) who came to the US in the late 1800's as a young girl, possibly 1881 or 1883 and settled in Chicago IL. On the 1920 Chicago census records it shows the town of Keslein Germany as where Anna originated from. Anna's father was Ernst or Ernest Machert, mother Bertha (nee Seiloff possibly), older sister was Mary or Marie, brother Paul and youngest sister Emma. We may have found an entry for the mother and four children aboard the ship Vandalia in 1881 and I'm trying to both confirm and trace back to where they originated
If anyone has any information on either the family or whether Keslein could in fact be Köslin I would love to hear.
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!
Ali

Re: Ernst Machert

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: Machert
My name is Enno Ernst Otto Machert from the City of Kiel on the Baltic Sea in Germany. I hit on this entry by chance and it got me curious.
My grandfather`s name in fact was Ernst Machert born in Lower Silesia (former East German province now Poland) but I know that his family originated from Kolberg (former province of Pomerania now Poland) which is pretty close to Köslin. Besides the name Ernst seems to have run in the family for quite a while, either as first or middle name. I am a college teacher of English in Germany, that might help with exchanging info and conversation.
So there is reason to suppose that we are remote relatives.

Re: Ernst Machert

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Machert, Seiloff
Enno,
The Ernst Machert I have in my family (my great-great grandfather on my mother's side) was born about 1842 and died 25 Jul 1907 in Chicago IL. His wife's name (per my great grandmother's death certificate) was Bertha Seiloff. Ernst and Bertha had at least 4 children, Mary, Anna (my great grandmother) Paul and Emma. Based upon a 1920 Census for my great grandmother Anna she was born in Keslein as were both her parents. I know nothing further on this line going back to Germany (or Poland) I've recently been in contact with another genealogist (I think you know her, Henning?)who I believe may have further information but I cannot collaborate the Ernst Machert is the same at this time.
If you can confirm you have in your family an Ernst who was married to a Bertha, and they had at least four children including a Mary (or Marie) Anna, Paul and Emma, and the whole family emmigrated to the US about 1881 or 1883 we may have a match :) I'm hoping so!
You can email me directly at alison.kozar@gmail.com and I can fill in the information on Ernst and Bertha after they arrived in the US.
Thanks,
Alison
per page

Find a board about a specific topic