Search for content in message boards

August Schmidt 1865

August Schmidt 1865

Posted: 1337354903000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schmidt, Scherp
I am trying to find any information on August Schmidt, married to Emelie (Amalie, maiden name thought to be Scherp) who lived in Middlesex County with their children. Trying to find out where they were originally from in Europe. Some census indicated Germany, others Russia/Poland.
Anneta

Re: August Schmidt 1865

Posted: 1337367325000
Connecticut records are not kept on the county level. Do you know the town?
Bryna O'Sullivan
http://charteroakgenealogy.blogspot.com

Posted: 1337387988000
Surnames: SCHMIDT/SCHMITT
As you know the family was in Middletown, CT according to the 1910 and 1920 census. What is odd is in the 1910 census the oldest 3 children were born in New York, the next 3 were born in Germany and the youngest (11 months old) was born in CT. So did they come to the US, go back to Germany and then come back again. I see your confusion as the 1920 census has them being from Poland/Russia. Schmidt is a very German name so I would think that would be their origin as the 1910 census indicates. I would try and find immigration records or birth, death, marriage records of the parents and children may also help.

Posted: 1337391329000
I wondered if in the 1920 census they indicated Russia/Poland because of WWI, and the fear of 'being' German. Don't know. They went back and forth a lot between US and Europe, and I was able to find 1 document indicating Gonsk, but can't find it anywhere. Poland changed borders throughout its history before and after, so still can't figure anything out. I was hoping I could find more info from the county about this family. Thanks.

Posted: 1337427039000
Surnames: SCHMIDT/SCHMITT
As someone mentioned there are no county records. You might try the Godfrey Library, Russell Library, Wesleyan University Library, Middletown Historical Society all in Middletown, CT.
Also the court and City of Middletown town clerk as well as the CT State Library Archives. Since the family was in Middletown for at least 10 years and at least two children were born there you may be able to request birth certificates which may give the parents place of birth.

Posted: 1337434856000
I think you should contact the Godfrey Library. They have the Doolittle Funeral Records for Middletown. I found an August Schmidt who died in 1944 - not sure if your August or a relative. Early funeral records are listed by date so if you know the date of his death I could try that. However, the actual record, which is not online, lists more information. Godfrey could give you the information on the actual page.

Posted: 1337435144000
Also found Arthur Richard Schmidt d 8/4/1920 23 days old son of Augustus and Amelia Scherp Schmidt in the Dunn Funeral Home returns on the Godgfrey website.

Posted: 1337438452000
The Probate Court might even have information on their sons if they lived and died in Middletown. Sometimes children do not outlive their parents as expected and have property that goes to probate. The same applies to the widow.

These records would often show the new location of the heirs if they moved to another state.

Posted: 1337562037000
this person is new to me. I'll have to check to see if this is the right family. Also, I do not live anywhere near CT so going to any of the local sites that might have family info is impossible for me. I can include info I know of them. And thank all of you for responding.

Posted: 1337597711000
per page

Find a board about a specific topic