Search for content in message boards

McMenamins - area of Ballybofey / Dooish County of Donegal

McMenamins - area of Ballybofey / Dooish County of Donegal

Posted: 1 Oct 2001 5:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Nov 2001 5:08AM GMT
My grandmother, Mary McMenamin was born at Dooish, just outside of Ballybofey in 1888. At the age of 14 she immigrated to the US where she stayed with family or friends of family in Indianapolis, Indiana. I do not know of all the family members at present, but did visit with a sister Ellen in Rutherglen, a suburb of Glasgow in 1982. Ellen moved to Glasgow from Donegal in about 1920 and has since passed away. We located another family near Raphoe where a lady named Bridget had lived with some of our relatives. I do not think Bridget was actually a relative as the family had many boarders over the years, some of whom were children.
Dooish is at the most 5 miles out of Ballybofey, and is very close to Raphoe which is very close to Londonderry (10 miles) away maybe. Our relatives were Catholic and as Ballybofey is geographically north it is politically south and not part of Ulster. I am looking for information to find the relatives or friends of family my grandmother would have stayed with in Indianapolis. I visited the old house where the family lived, the land has been taken back by the forestry. The man who lived nearby and told me of the house was a Peter McCool. I understand 2 brothers, one a priest and the other a doctor who were friends of my grandmothers family also immigrated to the US. These 2 brothers were from a family of McCools and I believe John was a priest. I think the others name may have been James, but of this I am not sure. I am beginning to believe over generations many of the McMenamins (regardless of spelling) who lived in this geographic area near Ballybofey are probably related. Any information in regards to this is very welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Re: McMenamins - area of Ballybofey / Dooish County of Donegal

Tara (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2002 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: MCMENAMIN, BOYLE
My Great Grandfather, William McMenamin was from Ballybofey. Unfortunately, I don't have much information yet. I do know his parents were John McMenamin and Annie Boyle. I found a listing for a child born to them May 11, 1865, also a daughter Ann, born March 19, 1875. I believr William was born in 1872, but have not found a listing for his birth yet. William left Ireland for Glasgow, but I don't know when yet. He was married in Glasgow in 1907

Anne (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2003 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: McMenamin
My mother told me that her father's family was from Ballybofey or near Ballybofey. Her father's name was Jeremiah (Jerry) McMenamin. He was Catholic. He emigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the early 1900s. He had a number of brothers including a brother named Cornelius (Con), who also emigrated to Philadelphia. They also had 2 sisters who emigrated to Atlantic City, New Jersey. The following is the obituary for one of the sisters:

Obituary from the Philadelphia Inquirer Newspaper from 6/11/1947:

Coleman-Mary A. (nee McMenamin) wife of Daniel J.

At Atlantic City, New Jersey - June 9, 1947
Mary A. (Nee McMenamin), wife of Daniel J. Coleman.
Funeral at Dennis A. Gormely

Mary and Daniel owned a bed and breakfast named Coleman's in Atlantic City.

Jeremiah originally married Mary McMenamin, born in Philadelphia, Pa, whose father was James McMenamin. James owned a headstone/gravestone business in Philadelphia. When Mary McMenamin passed away, Jeremiah married Catherine Hearns, who was born in Donegal near Jeremiah's birthplace.

I am interested in any information about my maternal, as well as paternal McMenamin family trees.

Thanks!

Becky McConnell (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2004 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: McMenamin Campbell
My Grandfather is James McMenamin born Ballybofey Donegal in 1928. His father was John McMenamin born c.1900 also in Co. Donegal. James had many siblings those older than him were Mary, Nora, Bridget, Kathleen, then James, John, Patrick. I am interested in any information you may have. John McMenamin c.1900 had two bros possibly more and one was called Phillip who was in an aslyum in Stranorlor and the other Peter worked in Donegal Hospital. James' mother was Mary Campbell born in Balleybofey area and she had at least two bros called Paddy and Hughie. Her sister Bridget moved to Philadelphia sometime in the 1920s we think. Thank you

dan mcglinchey (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2006 9:56AM GMT
Surnames: McGlinchey-McMenamin-Maguire
my great grandmother was Mary McMenamin born approx 1850-1860 somewhere near Dooish Ballybofey?....she married (possibly)? a James McGlinchey from Dooish..They had a son Connell McGlinchey born approx 1880 and was living in Dooish when he married a Mary Ellen McGlinchey nee McGlinchey at St Mary's Stranorlar and was living in the townland of Creggan and who's parents were Michael McGlinchey and Ellen Maguire...Mary and Connell moved to Glasgow with children Connell,Mary,James,Josephand Ellen...i can find no info re:James and Mary McGlinchey's births,deaths or marriage or son Connell's birth...Dooish and Ballybofey are townlands in the catholic parish of Stranorlar,Donegal and which is in the province of Ulster and is not to be confused with Northern Ireland which has 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster...hope this is of help and any info that can help me will be appreciated ..thanks

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 12:32AM GMT
I have being to Ballyboofey and Know the Mcmenamin family. I am not a mcmenamin, My aunt ann married a John Mcmenamin and I am trying to find out about her life from the time she came to this country in the 1920. She lived in new york, and in the 60,s returned to ireland with her husband John. they lived in donegal town. John died in 1972, my aunt died in 1999. both are burried in Donegal town

Re: McMenamins - Ballybofey, Donegal

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: McMenamin, Quinn, Mealey
Hello,

Researching McMenamin ancestors from Ballybofey.

Mother was Anna Quinn, father was John or Manus McMenamin, born abt 1800 Donegal. Children: Bridget, James, John, all born late 1820's. (More siblings but unknown as yet.)

Most of these children settled in Philadelphia PA (or Upper Darby, formerly called Kellyville, a suburb of Philly). Bridget m. James Kelly from Killygordon. James McMenamin m. Bridget Mealy. Family names include: James, Margaret, Mary, Catharine H., Charles, Francis, Jerome T., Agnes, Rose, Timothy, Gertrude.

If this looks familiar, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Jan Mulligan

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: McMenamin, McGlinchey,
my great grandmother was a Mary Mcmenamin born about 1861 approx, she may have live or worked in Curraghamongan in Ballybofey, she married a James McGlinchey and they lived at Dooish, Ballybofey they had 4 children, Connell, Ellen, Michael and William. I think they went back and forth to Glasgow, possibly to work, as Connell was born in Dooish and the others were born in Glasgow
they all appear on the 1901 census in Dooish but only James,william and Michael appear on the 1911 census
Dooish is only a small place
if there is any connection or you know of any information that might help me i'd much appreciate it
best wishes Dan...

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 11:50AM GMT
To: jmull28371
Our McMenamin family also settled in Philadelphia, Pa.
Our oldest known relatives were John McMenamin married to
Bridget Devenny and lived at 2534 Callowhill in Phila.
Their listed children are: Mary born in Apr 20, 1860 in
Stranorlar, Ireland, James Edward, John, Mary born in Phila,
Annie, Lizzie, and Charles.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: McMenamin
Hi Anne
I can tell you exactly where your grandfather's (Jerry) came from in Donegal; he was a 1st cousin of my grandfather Condy Mc Menamin who lived and died in Donegal.
I have ben trying for years to find descendents of Jerry's (and his siblings) families. I have found his immigration and naturalisation records on the internet
Please contact me on the email below..
mcmonagle_gerard@eircom.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic