Search for content in message boards

Nichol family in Dumfries, Galt / Mt View Cemetery

Nichol family in Dumfries, Galt / Mt View Cemetery

Posted: 8 Oct 2007 4:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nichol, Burnet, Scott
My g-g-g-grandmother was Isabel Burnet (nee Nichol), born in Traquair, Scotland in 1766. Her daughter Janet married William Scott and they immigrated to Dumfries Twp about 1824. In 1831, Isabel and several of her children immigrated to Canada, but sadly, Isabel died 3 hours before the ship landed in Hamilton. She was buried on William & Janet's farm, next two her grand-children.

From what I can tell, nobody has been able to determine the names of Isabel's parents, but based on the names of William & Janet's children, they may have been Thomas and Jane. All of Janet's siblings (Isabel's children) eventually immigrated to Galt, as did William's siblings.

When I was trudging through Mt. View Cemetery last summer, I saw a great number of Nichol stones. I have no idea whether these Nichols are related to Isabel, but since William & Janet were able to persuade all of their siblings to move to Galt, I see no reason why they wouldn't have also convinced some of their cousins to immigrate, too.

Since it's possible that some of these Nichols may have been cousins of Janet's, I was wondering if anybody has been able to "make the jump" across the Atlantic to find the names of parents and siblings of the last generation that was born in Scotland? Perhaps if these families had children who shared names that are in the families of Isabel's children, this might indicate a relationship.

I hope to hear from you!

Re: Nichol family in Dumfries, Galt / Mt View Cemetery

Posted: 13 Oct 2007 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Nichol, Rutherford, Williamson
I have Nichol's in my tree as well (they were quite a prolific family). Most of this family settled in Haldimand and one of the boys, Andrew Nichol, settled in North Dumfries. He married Isabella Williamson and they had 15 children including three sets of twins!

Andrew Nichol's father was Walter Nichol b. abt. 1812, somewhere in Scotland. He married Sarah Elgie b. abt. 1827 in England. Since their first child, Walter was born in 1842, Ontario, I assume they were married in Canada. I could find 11 children born to this couple. Walter and Sarah are buried at the Gore Cemetery in Clanbrassil, Ontario.

I then have a Christian Nicol who was b. abt. 1803 Scotland married to John Rutherford. John died prior to the 1851 and Christian can be found in this census with children in Burford, Brant.

This family (John Rutherford / Christian Nicol) seem to be from Birdhope Craig, Northumberland. Their son Walter was christened there even though his MI at the Ayr Cemetery, Waterloo states that he was born in Scotland. He married Jannet Williamson.

I did look through what information I have on these families and find most are bured at the Ayr Cemetery in Waterloo or the Gore Cemetery in Clanbrassil, Haldimand.

Posted: 14 Oct 2007 5:17AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Nichol, Burnet
Thanks for responding to my post! Your mention that they were from Northumberland reminds me of something my father told me.

Back in 1956, he spent the year in Scotland, and much of it tramping around the Cheviot Hills, where he spoke with a lot of elderly people. He was surprised to learn that the people in the area (Northumbria, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire) thought of themselves as neither Scotch nor English but as "Borderers," a distinct and separate people!

I hadn't thought about looking as far south as Northumberland for ancestors, I'd been concentrating on Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire, but certainly as wandering shepherds, the possibility that they may be from Northumberland isn't out of the possibility. And your ancestors are certainly the right age to be cousins of my William & Janet Scott.

Thanks for another angle to look up. Unfortunately there aren't many records from the early 1800's because the settlers were more concerned with clearing land and growing crops than registering births and deaths in official records, but this is a good ange. Thanks!

Posted: 14 Oct 2007 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: Nichol, Burnett
More things for you to think about....

I am guessing your Isabel Nichol married Andrew Burnett. You also mention Traquair. I know that there is a Traquair in Peebles but have you ruled out that it might be the name of a farm in another area.

There seems to be only one, a John Nichol, christening children in Traquair, Peebles at the time your Isabella was born. But I know that many records did not survive and I also know that a fee was charged to register births. Some folks could not afford this luxury. I can not recall when the fee was introduced.

Can not remember when you said they came over but there is mention of an Arthur Burnett that came over in 1832 to Dumfries in "Our Todays and Yesterdays" by Andrew W. Taylor.

Since your folks came over so early, perhaps it might be worth reading "Reminiscences of the Early History of Galt and the Settlement of Dumfries, in the Province of Ontario" by James Young.......available online at

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=3470

If the above link does not work out, the main page....

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/index.aspx

You can search the book for your names but I found it well worth the read.

Happy Hunting!

Sherry

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Burnet, Nichol, Lauder
Andrew Burnet and Isobel Nichol were my GGGGGgrandparents. Their son, Alexander (b 1791) married Eliza Cranston, and had Andrew Burnet (b 1815). Andrew and his wife Mary Lauder came over to Lake George, NY with their family in 1853. Is there a connection?

Mary Susan Burnett

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 4:18PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2010 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Nichol, Nicol, Elliot, Milligan, Millican, Elliott,
I worked on the Nicol/Nichol family of Galt for someone a few years ago.
This is some of what i found.
It is dis-jointed as these were taken from e-mails I sent.
Chris Bowman
No mention of James Nicol death in the Galt Reporter or the Dumfries Reformer from the dates after his death {I checked 3 different papers or 3 weeks after}.

At Galt, on Sunday May 11, Jane {likely Elliot}, relict of the late James Nicol, Mill creek, aged 78 years, 8 months.- I forgot to write down the date and paper but it is the paper after her death.

Probate-General Register 682- Apr. 27, 1883-James Nicol-deceased
It lists his death date May 08, 1874-wifes's name-Jane Elliot and children. You would have to order the reel with that number to find out what the probate states. The probate is almost 9 years after his death.

I copied the 1861 North Dumfires census transcript for James Nicol & family. You likely have this.

Peter Nicol bought from George J. Jaffray & wife lot 9 Queen St. east in the town of Galt. Aug. 03, 1881. He was a carpenter and contracter and his wife's name was Jane. They were still in Galt after 1900.

1864 Directory of Waterloo
Thomas & James Nichol-Concession 12 lot 4 -North Dumfries
John Millican Concession 11 lot 4 North Dumfries

1851 /52-North Dumfries census
Milligan, William-age 67?
Milligan, Margaret age 53
Milligan,William, age 25
Milligan, Elizabeth age 21
-------------------------------------
Hello Corinne:
There were other male Elliott's in the Dumfries area, perhaps relations of James Nicol's wife.
This could be a reason why they came to the Dumfries area.
When time permits, I'll look into some of your questions.
Do you have the write-up's from the papers .....re; James Nicol & wife Jane Elliott's obit's from the Galt area? There might be clues within them.
Chris
------------------------------------------
Hello Corinne:
The Thomas and brother {James? likely} Nicol, that lived in Elmira are brother's to your Andrew.
---------------------------------
Hello Corinne:
I might not be able to answer many of your questions without actually searching through things that I don't have right at hand.
It seems that some of the years are missing after 1834 from the Galt church records so it might be impossible to have a baptism of your Andrew Nicol. I will search for the marriage in the records the next time I'm at the Galt Library and the name Millican. I can't give you a time frame.
I went through some of the old newspaper pages that I have copied over the years and found this item..
Galt Reporter-Deaths
At Elmira, on Oct. 31, 1891, at his brother's residence, Elmira, Thomas Nichol, son of the late James Nichol, Mill Creek, Galt, aged 51 years, 9 months and 4 days.
Subj: Arrivals???-Nicol
Date: 05/01/2007
To: sandbbb@portal.ca

Name: Jane Nicol
Estimated birth year: abt 1802
Port of Departure: Greenock, Scotland
Ship Name: Amelia
Port of Arrival: New York, New York 8 Sep 1832
Line: 23
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_17
List Number: 658

Name: Elisabeth Nicol
Estimated birth year: abt 1831
Line: 25

Name: Mary Nicol
Estimated birth year: abt 1830
Line: 24

Posted: 26 Jan 2010 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: Nichol
yes I think there is a connection! You may contact me at e j scott at mac dot com (My computer was stolen so I'm using the library's so it will be a while before I reply to you but I would very much like to hear from you!)

Elizabeth

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2010 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Nichol, Rutherford, Elgie, Young, Williamson
Wonder where you ended up with this family...

I have just finished the Nichol family for my online tree at www.caldersofnairn.tribalpages.com.

I spent some time on them (I am not directly related) because I believe that Christian Nichol who married John Rutherford and Walter Nichol who married Sarah Elgie were siblings. Each family had a child that married into mine. These families settled in the Waterloo / Haldimand area.

I believe that their parents were Walter Nichol and Mary Young who were married in 1797 Oxnam, Roxburghshire.

They named their first son Thomas but no Jane's in the family.

A Walter Nichol was born in 1763 Cavers, Roxburghshire to a Thomas Nichol. An Isabel in 1766 Cavers but you mention your Isabel born in another place.

As near as I can determine, Walter Jr. came over first; Thomas second and Christian Nichol last. She was widowed at the time and landed in New York in 1850.

Walter Nichol and Sara Elgie's son Andrew married my Isabella Williamson in 1885 and farmed in North Dumfries.

John Rutherford and Christian Nichol's son Walter married my Jannet Williamson in 1869 and also farmed in the North Dumfries area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic