Search for content in message boards

Not married

Not married

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
It would be nice if WorldConnect would not display couples as married if there is not marriage data. I have a couple who never married. The man was already married and not divorced. Even though he was married to someone else, he had 4 children with another woman. I have linked them as a couple, but have not enterred a marriage fact, as they weren't married. However in the registry of descendants display on WorldConnect, it automatically says they were married. It would be nice if it just said this couple had the following children, and not that they were married if there is no marriage fact.

Re: Not married

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 2:28PM GMT
Please provide a link to this couple in question, for further investigation.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:16PM GMT
Often the marriage field is blank because the data is not known.

You can end any confusion by typing "not married" in the place field.

Most genealogy programs have a 'married' field that cannot be removed.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:37PM GMT
In this view it says he (Jan Willems Duitscher) married Engeltje Hindriks van der Laan: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op...

In this view you see the event: Not married: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op...

I was just hoping they might change how that is worded in the register of descendants view.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:42PM GMT
Rootsmagic lets you add the facts you want to a person. If a couple was not married, then you don't add a marriage fact. Since there is no marriage fact, it isn't possible to enter not married in the place field. It kind of voids the purpose of being able to leave out that fact, if you add it simply to put not married in the place field. Rootsmagic also lets you create events or facts, and I have one called not married (See my reply to ludlowbaylive for the link to an example of a created event).

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:58PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2012 11:00PM GMT
Your "not married" fact was created as a family fact type, rather than an individual fact type. Family facts link individuals just like a marriage fact would do. You'll need to change it to an individual type, then experiment to see if you want to attach it to just one, or both, parties.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 12:09AM GMT
I guess you would need to explain to me what the diffence would make. As I see it, not married is a family fact that applies to both individuals same as a marriage fact does. The father in this relationship, was married, so if I did it as an individual, I would definitely have to put it with a detailed note, or it might be confused with the woman he did actually marry. I was only hoping for a change to the way it is displayed in the register. As my data is primarily Dutch, alot of hits come from people who English is not their first language, and navigating Rootsweb to the different views isn't always as easy for them as it might be for you and I.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 12:53AM GMT
I retract my suggestion. After uploading a test file to WC, I too see that it makes no difference :-) Next step: wait until the WorldConnect programmer shows up to comment.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 2:48AM GMT
Thanks anyway. I did think to go into my not married fact and edit it. It now has a date, and I thought I might use the birthdate of their first child, attach a note to that fact which explains that it is the birthdate, and note how many other children the couple has. I haven't been able to upload a new gedcom to WC since the weekend, so can't test out how that looks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic