Search for content in message boards

BOIS-BOURDON, DAVID & Queen Isabeau of Bavaria

BOIS-BOURDON, DAVID & Queen Isabeau of Bavaria

James P. LaLone (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2003 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a genealogy that states the following: Henri DAVID married Anais or Anna de BOIS-BOURDON, "fille du fameux de Bois de Bourdon, ami de la reine Isabeau de Baviere".

Does anyone know more about this Bois de Bourdon, who was he married to or his parentage? Did he have a relationship with Isabeau which produced children? Any additional info would be appreciated, thanks, Jim.

Re: BOIS-BOURDON, DAVID & Queen Isabeau of Bavaria

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 3:19PM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2007 5:41PM GMT
A literal rendering of this statement reads that Anais or Anna was a "famed lady of the Butterfly Wood, friend of the queen Isabeau de Baviere." There is no implication in this statement that Isabeau had any relationship to Henri David.

All the best,
Kevin

Posted: 11 Dec 2003 12:33AM GMT
Thank you, I did not read it as Henri DAVID having a relationship with Queen Isabeau, but that Henri's wife Anna, the daughter of the famous BOIS de BOURDON, and it was he (BOIS de BOURDON) who was the friend (lover?) of Queen Isabeau.

I am pretty sure it (BOIS de BOURDON) is a surname in the genealogy given and not a description, ie. Butterfly Wood. Thanks.

Posted: 11 Dec 2003 3:23AM GMT
Context means everything. You have the advantage of the text and the knowledge of the principles, and I suspect the answer to your question may lie in the sources you already possess.

Bois de Bourdon is a location, not a person. Cassell's may assist in your understanding of French grammar. Unless an actual man was named Butterfly Woods. Never can tell.

Good luck in your search.

Re: Bois-Bourdon not a Personal Name

Posted: 13 Dec 2003 1:22AM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2003 8:38PM GMT
Bois is not a Christian Name nor a surname. The surname Bourdon may be a bumblebee. 'Bois' may be a stand of trees, hence bee+ wood, clearly not a landed title either, and so must be fanciful construct. Poor Queen Isabeau had her share of problems, there may have been an allusion to her and fairies of the wood.

Re: Bois-Bourdon not a Personal Name

Posted: 13 Dec 2003 3:13AM GMT
Yes, and thank you for the additional input.

Kevin

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2004 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: David
Queen Isabeau died in 1435, Anna de Bois Bourdon wasn't born until about 1455, therefore I assume the friendship was between Anna's father (or mother) (Bois Bourdon in this case is a surname - also a place name) and Isabeau.

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 3:19PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. You obviously have some sources I don't as I did not have a birth year for Anna, where did you find that?

I had a friend who is fluent in French and she also stated it was the father who was the friend of Isabelle. Am trying to find a history/biography of Queen Isabelle, apparently she had quite a reputation. So far all I have found are books in French so I broke down and ordered two copies last night, one from France and one from Belgium! One I will give to my friend who speaks French and see if she can find any more info for me.

Anyway, thanks for your input, if you have any more info I would be interested, thanks, Jim.

Re: Bois-Bourdon not a Personal Name - yes it is!

Posted: 7 Mar 2004 3:59AM GMT
Thought you all might be interested that some one has confirmed my interpretation that it is the father of Anna that was a friend of Isabeau and that the surname is correct by some other response I got. Sieur Loys de Bois Bourdon was a famous friend and apparent lover of the Queen's. He was a knight and the Queen's chamberlain. During one part of the Hundred Year's Was he commanded the famous Chateau Estampes against the English invasion. He was murdered by Charles VI's henchmen around 1417. The problem then is that Anna may not have been the daughter but a granddaughter as she was b. later (from another email someone sent).

Anyway, I thought you might want to update you thoughts on the info you gave me. Thanks, Jim.

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 1:30PM GMT
Jim, I have been researching this same family, which I decend from...please email me at humbuckj@aol.com

Thanks

Jason
per page

Find a board about a specific topic